6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2015 12:46 AM by krish11

Transmitting Video With an Edison

Nightsd01

I am building a drone and I am investigating the possibility of using the Edison to do it. All of the research I've done on the Edison up to this point makes it look very very promising.

I am wondering, is the intel Edison capable of transmitting video over a wifi connection? I can write the software to stream the video, I'm just wondering if it's actually feasible. I know the GPU was fused out of the final design, so I am thinking the answer is no, but I am thinking it might be possible to do it without using a GPU.

• 1. Re: Transmitting Video With an Edison
          CMata_Intel

Hi Nightsd01

I think it depends also to the connection that you are going to use, or if you are going to add a different shield to make it work maybe with 4G/LTE unfortunately these are kind of expensives

You can process video and images using the Edison Module but I haven't seen a project for streaming video using WiFi yet. I think that you could have some errors with delays and frames at the beginning but it could work at the end. And if you have a question, doubt or issue you can come again to the communities and ask, you will find a lot of helpful people in here.

Regards;

CMata

• 2. Re: Transmitting Video With an Edison
            mhahn

Nightsd01 wrote:

I am building a drone and I am investigating the possibility of using the Edison to do it. All of the research I've done on the Edison up to this point makes it look very very promising.

I am wondering, is the intel Edison capable of transmitting video over a wifi connection? I can write the software to stream the video, I'm just wondering if it's actually feasible. I know the GPU was fused out of the final design, so I am thinking the answer is no, but I am thinking it might be possible to do it without using a GPU.

I think your question can be split into several parts:

1. what's the bw of Edison's WiFi module?
            2. what's the range (i.e. signal strength) of Edison's WiFi - e.g. given a good external antenna is connected?
            3. what's the CPU performance of Edison?

but also on your part:

1. what's the source of video (resolution, fps, real-time [i.e. camera] or stored data ....)?
            2. in case of a camera: what kind of camera are you using?
            3. which video codec do you need to support?

E.G. if you use a camera which already does video compression you would hardly require any CPU horsepower at all but only to send the data. On the other hand if you have full HD raw data with a high frame rate and you want a MPEG4 compression on CPU it would hardly be possible. That said, you may add an external USB graphics card as well which would move the limitations onto the USB bw...

On the WiFi signal & strength I don't know

• 3. Re: Transmitting Video With an Edison
              krish11

Hello Nightsd01

I am also trying to work on the same idea and I got some info. I hope it could help you and I think this could also be useful for the people who like to build drones on their own.

Edison can process live video if configured correctly.

Using an UVC Camera:

Till now, I have seen people mostly working on an UVC camera with Intel Edison. For that we need Ubilinux as it consists of both UVC modules and OpenCV. For more details,                                                UVC Video modules and OpenCV on ubilinux (Debian)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    EmutexLabs                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

After adding Ubilinux to Edison, try these commands

opkg install kmod-video-uvc    //Installing kmod

dmesg                                      //Checking whether our camera is recognised or not

/dev/sda1                                 //Mounting process starts from here

mkdir /mnt/sda1

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

opkg install fswebcam             //It is for taking pictures using camera

opkg install mjpg-streamer      //Installing MJPG Streamer

fswebcam test.png                  //Taking a snapshot to test the camera

mjpg_streamer -i "input_uvc.so -y -n -f 30 -r 320x240" -o "output_http.so -p 8080 -n -w /www/webcam"          //Start live video transmission

Later, we can check our live video by using URL. We can also add the URL to VLC or Youtube so that we can check it live easily. There are some android applications too where you can add the URL and check the video on that application remotely as long as our product is connected to the internet. I had tried this one using arduino and I am sure that it is the same process if we use the UVC camera for Edison but with little changes. It is the best and easy way to setup the live video transmission as coding with a pin camera could be a bit hard for beginners. So, I suggest using UVC camera for Intel Edison.

I suggest you using a similar micro UVC camera if you are using it for a drone

Mjpeg Hd 720p Ov9712 Yuy2 Uvc Android Micro Mini Cmos Optical Zoom Usb Webcam - Buy Optical Zoom Usb Webcam,Uvc Cmos Opt…                           

We can cut the cable and add directly to Edison. For more information regarding the connections, check this website

Make a USB OTG host cable. The easy way! : Cutting into the USB micro end and making it a host

Using CMOS camera

I have seen some people who had done this using Edison but they haven't shared more information regarding their work.

One guy is currently working on this one Intel Edison Camera Module

If you find some more information regarding CMOS camera then just add the information to this conversation so that it could be helpful to others.

Other Suggestions:

If your drone is not yet ready then prefer this design http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:251002 .Motors, propellers, battery, speed controllers, camera filter etc are all suggested in that website. It could make your work more easier.

If you wish to add GPS then you can prefer Adafruit GPS version3 as it is smaller in size. Have a look on this thread for code Re: Intel Edison - not able to read GPS input from /dev/ttyMFD1 using node.js

Every device is not compatible with Edison. Have a look on this document http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24342/eng/Galileo-Edison_ShieldTestReport_330937-002.pdf to check the compatibility with Edison before ordering a product.

Regards

Krish

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Transmitting Video With an Edison
                Nightsd01

Fantastic responses everyone, thanks!!!

As far as onboard GPS goes, I will be us

$_57.JPG

It is the RY25AI GPS, going over UART to the flight controller. Right now I am using an Arduino nano but in order to transmit video, I will need a chipset that is a bit more powerful like the Edison.

Using a UVC camera and ubilinux, would it still be possible to write software for the Edison using the arduino IDE in addition? I have already written a lot of software for the drone, such as the stability system (integrated with an accelerometer/gyroscope), the motor control system, etc. and if I could re-use some of that software on the Edison that would be wonderful.

I've actually already got most of the drone built and functioning with the arduino nano, I've just got to wait on the last brushless motor still being shipped to me.

• 5. Re: Transmitting Video With an Edison
                  krish11

Hi Nightsd01

I am about to try it as my camera was ordered just 2 days back. I think it could be possible.

I got some more information relating to transmission of video

Enabling audio or video

Have a look on this website for enabling audio or video

https://richardstechnotes.wordpress.com/2014/10/31/enabling-audio-and-video-capture-on-the-intel-edison/

Syntro Edison Apps

richards-tech/SyntroEdisonApps · GitHub

I think these websites could make your work more easier and save your time

Regards

Krish

• 6. Re: Transmitting Video With an Edison
                    krish11

Hello Nightsd01

If you have tried with micro UVC CMOS or normal camera then can you please update me whether you have succeeded in transmitting live video or not using Edison?
                    I will also update my work as soon as I tried it.

Waiting for your reply

Regards

Krish