Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Installed AC7260 but cant turn on main Wifi. Got all the help from Intel. Asus netherlands refuses to help.

DStaf1
Beginner

Hai,

i have the Asus K93SM laptop. Its running on Windows 8.1.

The 8.1 is not an upgrade.

I have recieved the latest drivers from the people who helped me at Intel.

Installed the drivers, which was no problem.

The AC7260 was installed automaticly by windows, cause it recognized the adapter.

Turning the adapter device AC7260 on or off, is no problem.

There is no yellow exclamation mark in device management.

I do not have a hardware switch to turn on the wifi itself. I have to use FN+F2 to put it on or of.

And here starts the trouble. I can not switch on the WIFI SWITCH on.

Like turning on your TV, where you see that the button is red. TV is on.

But the screen stays black.

This is the software provided by Intel.

Wireless_17.14.0_De164

Wireless_17.14.0_e164

The service of Intel was awesome.

Unfortunately Asus Netherland refused to help me. They said I bought a working system and did not support in any way questions which got something to do with upgrading.

This is not the way like I know Asus normally. But this means that I have no feedback from Asus.

The attachment contains a picture with details of the networkswitch.

This is my configuration of my pc.

I do hope that you help out with this problem.

These are the details of my pc:

Windows 8.1 ‎(X64)‎

Processor

Intel Core i7 2670QM clocked at 2.20 GHz

Number of cores: 4 physical, 8 logical

Processor socket: Socket 988B rPGA

Motherboard

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K93SM 1.0

BIOS Identifier: 63-0100-000001-00101111-061610-Chipset

Manufacturer (system): ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Bios version: K93SM 208

Date: 11/6/2012

(BIOS Version is the last version available)

thanks!

Regards

Dennis

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Staffie,

There are different reasons why the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 may not work well with your computer. Some Original Equipment Manufacturers, may include customizations to limit the computer to only specific wireless adapters. Wireless adapters should be installed by the manufacturer or its authorized representative.

For more information you can review the following documents:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031167.htm Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel Wireless Adapter?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

We advise you to check back with Asus if this card is supported in your system.

Here are a few things you can check before contacting the OEM:

- Connect the PC using a Wired connection.

- Go to device manager and Uninstall the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, selecting the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

- Go Intel® Driver Update Utility and install the driver recommended.

- Disconnect the Wired connection and confirm that the wireless adapter is Enabled in Device Manager.

Also, try using Windows* diagnostics to resolve the issue. From the Network and Sharing Center, select Troubleshoot problems and look for problems on the Network Adapter and Internet Connections.

If the issue persists, there might be a limitation in the BIOS or PC preventing the adapter to operate in your system.

DStaf1
Beginner

Hai Jonathan,

thanks for answering my question.

(sorry for my english by the way)

I will quote some lines from you, which make answering easier.

"Wireless adapters should be installed by the manufacturer or its authorized representative."

I understand. But I will not go to an authorized representative to put in a HDD, memory or a wireless adapter. My knowledge of electronics is good. I know when I dont know what I am doing and put the hardware in the wrong way, its my own fault. Lets be honoust: i have to loosen 2 screws, take a plate of. Pull my battery out, (i already disconnected the power) and when the battery is out, I push the on/off button to make sure that all the power its out of the condensor. Its a job which takes 2 minutes.

"We advise you to check back with Asus if this card is supported in your system."

As I wrote, they refuse to help, when it comes to upgrading. ASUS in holland does not support upgrades. Even if i aks them to do it for me. So that no option.

(Thats why they can take an example of the assistance I had for 2 days from Intel. They know what service is.)

Bios has been checked, no limitations there.

- Connect the PC using a Wired connection.

- Go to device manager and Uninstall the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, selecting the option to "Delete the driver software for this device". Done this several times.

- Go Intel® Driver Update Utility and install the driver recommended. Intel has send me the current software. The intel Driver update did not update the AC7260. (?) Thats why the gentleman from intell send me a link for the new drivers etc.

- Disconnect the Wired connection and confirm that the wireless adapter is Enabled in Device Manager. Done this several times

I have read a lot of articles and there are more people with this problem. The ASUS K93S and the AC7260. According to Intell its a plug and play adapter.

I will try your other advices! Thank you so much for that.

Also the fact that I am willing to go back to windows 7, to see if this works, or put Linux as a double boot system on my laptop.

But a little voice in the back of my mind, there is a little voice which says:

Mr Intell of this morning has been right. AC7260 and Asus K93S are not compatible with each other.

I only can not understand 1 thing. There is no way to find out which upgrade adapter works with my laptop.

But let met try first if I can make it work.

Thanks you so much for helping me with your advice. Much appreciated!

regards

Dennis

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

I checked the http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K93SV/specifications/ Asus Support page for your Laptop and it does not show any drivers listed for Intel Wireless adapters, also, it only has drivers for Windows 7, so there may be some compatibility issues in your configuration.

The OEM (Asus) is the best source to confirm which Wireless adapters can be used with your computer.

0 Kudos
DStaf1
Beginner

Hai Jonathan,

Thanks for your answer.

perhaps going back to windows 7 can be the solution here. Did everything you said, no luck.

Again: ASUS is refusing to help. The wont give any information is you want to change any kind of hardware. They even refuse to answer the simple question: can i bring my laptop to Asus?

So asus can upgrade,

Answer is NO.

They WILL NOT give any information, if its not regarding the hardware parts in the laptop. So in this case ASUS is not a solution.

Next laptop, which will be bought in a year, will be toshiba again. I am really dissapointed that they dont even want to upgrade my laptop.

Will search on the internet which adapter will be suitable for the K93S.

Thanks for all the help!!!

I will first put windows 7 on the laptop. (ps: laptop works better on windows 8 then windows 7.)

Will come back to let you know.

beste regards

Dennis

0 Kudos
jsche11
Beginner

I had the same problem upgrading the WiFi module in a Lenovo laptop. After installing new AC7260 it refused to work. My problem was that Lenovo apparently inserts file into the BIOS restricting the user from upgrading the WiFi module, forcing you to use their service to upgrade. The solution was to download a modified BIOS for my specific laptop which removed the restriction. No problems after that.

I suggest you search for a model specific "ASUS WWAN whitelist BIOS".

0 Kudos
DStaf1
Beginner

Hai Greatmazinga ,

This is the answer I need.

Even that there is a chanche that people are not happy with this kind of solutions:

Let be honoust, its like changing you car radio for a different brand.

I can not understand that manufacturers make the laptop I bought not available for hardware I want to use.

If their reason is to protect me from damaging my laptop: I am and adult.

I have the liberty to make every choice I want to make.

And the best thing is that I am aware that the consequences will be chosen for me, by others or perhaps by the laptop which I will destroy by putting in other hardware.

I really cant think of any reason why ASUS is doing this. Also other brands are doing this. The only forget that we have a choice to avoid the brand which do no allow us to change what we want.

So thank you Greatmazinga!!

Also again thank you Intell for helping me. Perhaps you can be an example for Asus to explain what service looks like and how customers need to be treated.

regards

Dennis

0 Kudos