3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 7:11 AM by allan_intel

D54250WYKH2 does not detect a USB stick

anydoby

I have purchased the above mentioned item. 8gb ram + a SATA harddrive (this is detected as a bootable drive, but there's not OS on it yet).

Made a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu 14.04x64, chose boot from USB tick in BIOS, when I reboot I do not see the stick anywhere in the bootable devices list. The stick is USB 3.0 64gigs from Patriot (PSF64GTAB3USB), I can boot from it on my very old (4 years+) PC and my laptop, so the stick is out of suspicion. I also tried a USB 2.0 noname stick, which I used before for boots. No effect. It's not detected.

I am already at the point of returning the whole device back to the shop since I cannot install anything on it.

• 1. Re: D54250WYKH2 does not detect a USB stick
          allan_intel

Thanks for joining the Intel community.

Have you checked BIOS USB configuration?

Are they enabled?

Advanced

Devices

USB configuration

Make sure all USB ports are enabled.

Allan.

• 2. Re: D54250WYKH2 does not detect a USB stick
            anydoby

Hi Allan.

I updated my BIOS by first creating a file system on the SATA drive and downloading the latest update from January this year. Luckily this worked fine.

I solved the stick recognition by using a very old USB 2.0 stick and enabling Legacy USB in the BIOS, then the OS installed fine. Apparently BIOS does not recognize newer flash drives even with the latest fw updates. I guess it's worth mentioning this in the installation manual somewhere - use OLD USB. I found this solution somewhere on the internet after hours of frustration. It's really embarrassing to find that the newest product from a giant like Intel only supports installation using legacy sticks. And this issue has been reported (as far as I am concerned) over 2 years ago, I guess many users will face this problem.

• 3. Re: D54250WYKH2 does not detect a USB stick
              allan_intel

Thanks for sharing this information. I am glad your computer is working now.

Allan.