I figured it out; The fix is so simple it makes me wonder why it took 3 days to figure it out... so after I make the NIC teams i apply the static IPs to the NIC, the NIC basically ignores that I did anything and still trys to pull DHCP address. Double-checked a billion times to make sure I had set the NIC to STATIC and no DHCP.
The fix: Go back into the properties; click it off of static and back to DHCP, apply settings. Go back into the properties, apply your static AGAIN. This time it actually sticks.
What model were the NICs where you saw this problem? I would like to duplicate this issue and report the sighting to the developers. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
No problem, just hoping to help someone in a similar situation.
The NIC chipset is Intel(R) 82575EB
the OEM model is Supermicro AOC-SG-i2
I was using Proset 14.3
Oops look like its not fixed completely. While I can fix it temporarily, after a reboot the teamed NICs revert to the same issue. I have static IP in the properties however, they still are trying to get DHCP
strangely, 1 team holds the proper IP, the other 2 revert to DHCP
Unfortunately, the Super Micro adapters you have use a different controller and driver than any of the dual port Intel(R) Ethernet server adapters. I will report the sighting, but I might not be able to come up with a resolution for you. I will share anything I find out that might help you.
Thanks Mike, any help in the situation would be great.
Hey Mark, Were you able to speak to any engineers about this issue?
Unfortunately, there is no known issue like this. If this was a known issue, that would have been good because a fix might have been in a planned release. We will investigate further. Feel free to ping me here or by message if you don't hear any updates from me. Most days I check in here a few times a day.
Here is a screenshot of the issue, In this picture you can see that the HEARTBEAT teamed NIC has a static IP of 10.0.161.1 set to it in the NIC properties. However, if you look at the status of the NIC you can see that it is assigned a 169.x address.
The results are the same for the Production TEAM NIC, the iSCSI TEAM NIC is set static and actually works properly.
I see you get the automatic 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address on the team from Windows. That evidence supports what you were saying about the team sending out DHCP requests for an address. Since no DHCP address is received, Windows automatically assigns an IP address.
We have an engineering team that will duplicate your teaming scenario using Intel adapters next week. I will let you know what we find.
I was reading a blog by Aaron when I ran across this statement:
I used 802.3ad LACP for my team and had to wait for the team virtual adapter to be completely initialized PRIOR to modifying the properties of that team. The first round, I modified the IPv4 address on the team before it was done initializing and it completely messed up the team interface, rendering it useless.
I thought about your issue with the static addresses not working and thought the two issues might have the same root cause. Here is my idea.
- Remove the 2 teams that are not working using the teaming tab. You can leave the 1st team that works in place.
- Create team #2. Do not conifgure any properties for the connection. Wait several minutes. You might want to work on something else to keep the time from dragging on. I really don't know how long the initialization will take. This might not really take several minutes, but I thought that waiting extra time would be a good idea to make sure the team is really finished initialzing.
- Configure the static IP information for the team connection.
If the team functions correctly, then you can repeat the steps for team #3. Let me know what happens.
Mark, looks like a very similar problem, I will try it right now and let you know the outcome
It worked! I had to break the team, wait for the 2 adapters to intialize, you can see they turn from Enabled to "Unidentified Network" and they show up under ipconfig.
Once they have intialized, I create the team. Now, I wait for the TEAM nic to do the same intialization process. Eventually it changes to Unidentified network and shows up under ipconfig as well.
Once it has intialized I apply the static IP settings, check the details and BOOM its sticks.
Now the real test for me was seeing if it would hold after a restart, so I get a ping to my team adapters and reboot. I was so happy when I saw it come back up on all 3 adapters!
Thank you Mark and Thank you Aaron,
We should probably sticky this explanation or get it fixed ASAP, Im sure its going to drive people up the wall as they migrate to R2
Moral of the story: Patience pays, Wait for your NICs to "initialize"