3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2015 12:40 AM by DeathByTickles

Intel NUC D54250WYK HDMI ARC issue

sminten

I have the following setup:

• Philips 49PUS7809/12 TV
      • Philips HTL5140 sound bar
      • Intel NUC D54250WYK (Windows 8.1 x64)

The sound bar is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable and is configured to use HDMI ARC. The NUC is connected by an HDMI cable to the TV. Along with the NUC, I have a Playstation 4 connected to the TV using an HDMI cable. The goal is that the NUC and the Playstation send their video/audio to the TV, and that the TV sends the audio to the sound bar using HDMI ARC.

The thing is, the HDMI ARC works perfectly when only the Playstation is connected to the TV. As soon as I connect the NUC to the TV using an HDMI cable and then turn the TV on, HDMI ARC doesn't work for any of the devices. When I unplug the NUC and reboot the TV, everything is fine.

I contacted Philips support for this, but they blame the NUC.

I'm wondering: are there any settings in the NUC (BIOS, Windows, drivers, etc) that I can change to make sure that my TV and sound bar play along? I'm currently considering connecting the NUC to the TV using a MiniDisplayPort <-> HDMI cable and to connect the TV to the sound bar using a TOSlink cable, but I prefer using HDMI ARC for this.

• 1. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYK HDMI ARC issue
          sylvia_intel

Hello Sminten, thanks for joining the Intel Community.

There are some audio settings on the NUC that you can try. Please check the following:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices, click Audio tab. Check the default device for sound playback; there can be multiple selections. Select the desired device, either rear panel or front panel.

Besides this, there are no settings on BIOS that need to be change or any additional driver that needs to be installed.

Regards,

• 2. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYK HDMI ARC issue
            sminten

Hi sylvia_intel,

I looked into the Audio settings, I only have the HDMI output (my TV) and the 3.5mm jack in my list. As the HDMI output is already selected and I don't use the 3.5mm jack, there is nothing for me to change.

Is there something else I can try?

• 3. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYK HDMI ARC issue
              DeathByTickles

I have the same problem with my Vizio E700i-B3 TV connected via HDMI ARC to my Vizio 5.1 sound bar. I think the issue is that the TV reports its default configuration (2 speakers) rather than the configuration of what it is connected to via ARC. It would be great if the Intel driver allowed you to override the default reported by the connected TV.

Only other option appears to be getting a USB sound card that support optical out and connecting that to the sound bar. One technology step forward, 2 steps back

DBT