12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 9:35 PM by ClementChong

Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD

GeorgeB

ASUS motherboard X99 Deluxe. Running latest BIOS and defaults. Currently running OK with OCZ SSD. Intel 400gb SSD is visible in BIOS, Windows and disk management as healthy partition. Storage controllers in BIOS are set to AHCI. Did full format of SSD before Win install. Can write to and read from P3600. SSD firmware is 8DV1. Installed latest P3600 driver from Intel website. Run Intel SSD full read and write diagnostics with no errors. Intel tells me motherboard meets specs for P3600. No solution from ASUS either.

At early stage of clean Win install from a Win 8.1/64 CD before installation starts, get message “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Computer hardware may not support booting to this disk. Insure disk controller is enabled in Bios”. Tried formatting and then install and get same message. Tried installing driver and then install and get same message. Communicating with Intel and issue is still active. Don't think SSD purchased from newegg.com is defective. Newegg is willing to accept return but I am not optimistic replacement disk won't have same issue. Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated. George B.

• 1. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
          ClementChong

If the OS can see the drive (read and write data), I don't think it is defective at all.

Are you able to choose "(UEFI) <model of your DVD drive>" when you press F8 during the ASUS Logo BIOS screen (unless the BIOS boot up is so fast that you cannot even see it).

I would recommend unplugging all the other SATA drives first, leaving only the P3600 SSD and the DVD drive with the Win 8.1 x64 disc inside, then plug the drives back after the OS is successfully installed into the P3600 SSD.

• 2. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
            GeorgeB

Thanks for your response, Clement. I intended from the beginning to replace my current SSD with the Intel SSD. Initially, I removed my current SSD and installed only the Intel SSD and got same message. Installed Intel SSD into another PCIe slot and got same message. Tried installing Intel SSD and current SSD with booting from Win DVD and got same message. Also tried UEFI DVD and got same message at Win install. Ran Intel SSD full read/write diagnostics on entire SSD and got no errors. Ran ASUS PC diagnostics and got no errors. Ran Intel CPU stress test diagnostics and got no errors. So I think my PC is not the problem. Seems to be something with either the ASUS motherboard compatibility with the Intel SSD or Win 8.1/64 compatibility with the Intel SSD. Awaiting further word from ASUS but am not optimistic on getting anywhere there. Intel states that the ASUS X99 Deluxe motherboard meets their specs, whatever that means.

Makes no sense that I can write a file to the Intel SSD and read from it but cannot do a clean install. I can do a system image restore from my external HD but I think my current SSD of 240 Gb will install on the Intel SSD but instead of 400 gb being available, I will only have 240 gb available.

Do you have any other ideas or thoughts on how to solve this issue. Await your feedback.

If no further suggestions, Intel has determined to cover this SSD under warranty and replace it and I will pursue that soon.

• 3. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
              jonathan_intel

Hello GeorgeB,

The Intel® Solid-State Drive DC P3600 was designed for Data Center use, some Desktop systems may not be able to make full usage of the drive, or to boot from it. It would be good to check with Asus if your board is qualified to boot from the P3600.

Here are some aspects and recommendations that may help:

- The Intel® SSD DC P3700, P3600 and P3500 Series are bootable and support installation of an operating system on platforms that support UEFI* 2.3.1 BIOS. Please contact the manufacturer of your motherboard and confirm the UEFI version used in your system.

- Make sure that the drive is connected to a PCIe Gen 3.0 x8 or x16 slot in your PC.

- Contact Asus and get updated firmware (BIOS) for your motherboard.

- Use the most recent driver version for your SSD. Version 1.1.0.1004 can be downloaded from Intel Download Center.

• 4. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
                ClementChong

George,

Are you able to provide the details of the boot options in your bios settings (including CSM)?

• 5. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
                  GeorgeB

Thanks Clement for your response. Here is the boot stuff you requested from the BIOS:

Boot option priorities are Windows boot manager, current OCZ SSD with 8.1/64 installed, DVD

Boot menu F8 is DVD, Windows boot manager, current OCZ SSD, external hard drive

CSM:

Launch CSM is enabled

Boot device control is set to UEFI and Legacy OPROM. Other options are Legacy OPROM only or UEFI only

Boot from storage devices is set to Legacy only. Other options are ignore and UEFI first

Boot from PCI-E/PCI expansion devices is set to Legacy only. Other option is UEFI driver first

OS type is set to Windows UEFI mode

PCIe speed is set to auto. Other options are gen1 and gen2

SATA controllers are set to AHCI

Let me know your ideas if I should change any of the above. Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. George B

• 6. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
                    ClementChong

Boot from storage devices is set to Legacy only. Other options are ignore and UEFI first.

Boot from PCI-E/PCI expansion devices is set to Legacy only. Other option is UEFI driver first.

Change both of these options to UEFI first.

Optional: You could just disable CSM (so that it is full UEFI, no legacy), however that will require your video card to have a UEFI GOP BIOS in order for "Disable Launch CSM" to work.

• 7. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
                      GeorgeB

Changed BIOS CSM boot from storage and boot from PCIe to UEFI first, saved and powered off. Powered on with Win 8.1 installation DVD in PC. Went to install and got same original message. Installed Intel driver 64 1.1.0.1104 from separate DVD. Re-inserted Win 8.1 DVD. Got same original message. Formatted Intel drive. Re-installed Intel driver. Inserted Win 8.1 DVD. Got message " Couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. See set up log file for more info.", Exited install and PC boots to BIOS. Had to change boot froms back to Legacy.

Will do full format of Intel drive in Windows. Will install latest Win 8.1 updates coming out this afternoon. Running latest BIOS from ASUS. Will change BIOS boot froms tonight, remove current OCZ SSD and try again. Makes sense?. In what folder will I find the set up log files? Did search on my whole OCZ drive for set up log file and did not find any.

Do you know if my Nvidia GTX 660TI video card has a UEFI GOP BIOS? How will I know that? Should I try disabling the launch CSM tonight also if the full formatting does not work?

• 8. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
                        ClementChong

The drive cannot have any partitions on it before the installation, the OS needs to create GPT partitions (instead of the usual MBR used by BIOS) on the drive in order for the drive to boot via UEFI.

You must make sure that the DVD drive is booted via UEFI mode or else the OS install will be in BIOS mode (which will fail since the PCIE storage card has no BIOS ROM).

Keep the two setting to "UEFI first", save then after reboot press F8 during BIOS and choose "UEFI <DVD drive>".

The setup log is located at "X:\Windows\panther\setupact.log" during setup.

Once you reach the point of failure (as in cannot create partitions) open a command prompt by pressing "Shift+F10".

Now type in "notepad X:\Windows\panther\setupact.log"

The last portion of the log will give you the more descriptive error message.

Do you think it is possible to give me a screen shot of the Windows partition setup screen?

Only the more recent cards has the UEFI GOP (7 and 9 series), for 6 series it is likely you will have to request such BIOS from the card manufacturer.

• 9. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
                          GeorgeB

Cannot try this tonight. Will hopefully uninstall current OCZ SSD and install Intel SSD Wed. night. Let me see if I correctly understand what/sequence to do:

Current Intel SSD contains 3 folders: recycle bin, folder from today's Windows update of Intel management engine interface and system volume information folder

Change BIOS in the 2 boot froms to UEFI first.

Save and re-boot

Press F8 and choose first boot priority to UEFI DVD drive

Re-boot with Win 8.1 DVD in DVD drive

This is where the Intel SSD shows up as disk 0 partition 1 since I last did full format of Intel SSD in Windows as NTFS file system. Is this where you want me to do a print screen?

As first step before OS install starts, format drive to get rid of everything including current 3 folders on the Intel SSD

Do a refresh that hopefully shows no partition on Intel SSD

Install Intel SSD driver (firmware update) version 1.1.0.1104. Is this where you want the print screen?

Try Win 8.1 install

Are these the correct steps and sequence?

Please advise where do I do the print screen of Win partition setup screen.

• 10. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
                            ClementChong

Since there is a partition in the Intel SSD, do the following:

1. With the system powered off, only plug the Intel SSD and the DVD drive into the PC.

2. Power on and enter BIOS settings, change the following to ensure no legacy boot options are present:

Boot device control is set to UEFI only.

Boot from storage devices is set to UEFI driver first.

Boot from PCI-E/PCI expansion devices is set to UEFI driver first.

3. After saving and reboot, press F8 and choose to boot from UEFI <DVD drive>.

4. When it comes to the Windows partition setup screen, click "Drive Options", then select "Delete" and delete all the partitions on the Intel SSD, please ensure that there is only Disk 0 (with no partition and no other disk) on the partition setup screen.

5. Screenshot the partition setup screen if you got any error message after doing the above.

• 11. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
                              GeorgeB

Clement: Great news! Followed your last instructions and successfully installed Win8.1/64 to Intel P3600 SSD. Here's what I did:

Removed OCZ SSD

Installed Intel SSD in PCIe 3.0x16 slot

Made following changes to BIOS:

Boot device control set to UEFI only.

Boot from storage devices set to UEFI driver first.

Boot from PCI-E/PCI expansion devices set to UEFI driver first.

Changed PCIe slot to Gen3

After saving and reboot, pressed F8 to boot from UEFI <DVD drive>.

When it came to the Windows partition setup screen, selected "Delete" and deleted all the partitions on the Intel SSD. Did not need to format drive or install Intel driver.

Win 8.1-64 installed perfectly. I am a happy camper. Could not have done it w/o your help. Thank you! Thank you. Your patience and persistence in staying with me was fantastic. Help from ASUS was minimal. You deserve a medal! Intel SSD flies and boots in seconds. So glad I stayed with you guys and did not return the SSD to newegg or Intel although both offered to take it back but I would have had same problem with replacement drive. Took a lot of my time and yours but it was worth it! I learned a lot from this. If you need a reference, please use my experience.

Best regards, George B.

• 12. Re: Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD
                                ClementChong

Congratulations!

I recommend that you install Intel's NVMe driver as soon as possible, there are some bugs in Microsoft's NVMe driver that could cause data corruption (KB2897143).

Also, any firmware updates to the SSD can only be done with Intel's driver.