4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 8:42 AM by sylvia_intel

Power down USB Ports in S3 sleep mode?

Is there a way to power down the USB Ports in S3 Sleep mode? I'd like to reduce power consumption to a minimum. Wakeup is performe via WOL, so no need at all to keep external USB Devices (like a keyboard) powered when entering sleep mode. Is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Power down USB Ports in S3 sleep mode?
          sylvia_intel

Hello 803, thanks for joining the Intel community.

First of all, I would like to know which the model number of your NUC is. I would like to review the TPS that belongs to it.

As far as I know, S3 sleep- state is design to be always enabled, since it allows wake from Consumer IR or infrared and wake from USB.

• 2. Re: Power down USB Ports in S3 sleep mode?
            dougho

My NUCs (D54250WYK) behave something like you describe.  When Windows lets the NUC sleep, my keyboard LEDs turn off and my mouse LED no longer works.  I can wiggle my optical mouse around and it does not wake from sleep (presumably because there is not enough power to run the optical sensor).  I have to click the mouse button or press a key to wake from sleep.  If you are not seeing behavior like that, perhaps it is a feature of the OS (such as Windows) which is controlled by something like a device driver and/or related OS setting.  I agree there are some Intel BIOS (such as my larger Intel motherboard) which have BIOS settings about what to do for USB power in sleep - I believe they have some optional setting to keep power on (for charging devices such as smartphones).  When my NUC is in sleep, my smartphone stops charging.  So maybe you have some different model NUC.

• 3. Re: Power down USB Ports in S3 sleep mode?

I have an

Intel® NUC-Kit DN2820FYKH

As far as I know, S3 sleep- state is design to be always enabled, since it allows wake from Consumer IR or infrared and wake from USB.

Maybe if you use it as an end-user device. Not if you use it as an on-demand Server. That's why many Vendors make it an Option in the Bios. To let the user choose.

And that makes perfectly sense. I don't get why Intel removes options instead of adding them like with the USB 3.0 support switch...

• 4. Re: Power down USB Ports in S3 sleep mode?
                sylvia_intel

Guys,  thanks for the information provided. I’m going to forward your feedback to the corresponding team.