1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 10:33 PM by krish11

Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS

krish11

Hello Guys

I am working on Intel Edison mini break out board along with Adafruit Ultimate GPS version 3.

My aim is to track the location of the device. I had tried using the code with the help of Stan from Re: Edison Arduino i2c. He had done with the Edison Arduino expansion board.

The code has got compiled but I can't get the latitude & longitude values. Please have a look on the attachment. I am sure about the connections given are correct.   

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
          CMata_Intel

Hi krish11

Unfortunately, I don't have your shield to test this so I'm getting this as result:

**** **** ********** *********** **** ********** ******** **** ****** ****** ***** ***  ******** ****** ***  0    0        0       **** **** ********** *********** **** ********** ******** **** ****** ****** ***** ***  ******** ****** ***  0    0        0       No GPS data received: check wiring **** **** ********** *********** **** ********** ******** **** ****** ****** ***** ***  ******** ****** ***  0    0        0

Which pins are you using to connect the shield in the board and which ones do you have in your sketch (RXPin and TXPin)?

Regards;

CMata

• 2. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
            krish11

Hello

Thank you for your kind reply

I am using J18 - pin 13  GP130  UART1_RX  GPIO, UART1 receive data input.

J19 - pin 8  GP131  UART1_TX  GPIO, UART 1 Tx output.

In the sketch, the pin numbers are RXPin = 26, TXPin = 35;

The Tx of the board needs to be connected to the Rx of the sensor and the Rx of the board to the Tx of the sensor.

Other Information if needed:

Tried changing baud rate but it has given the same output
            Taken reference of pin numbers from https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa/blob/master/api/mraa/types.h#L64

Updated MRAA by following the instructions from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26154300/intel-edison-mraa-module-not-working

The date and time is wrong in the output because the battery for the GPS is not used.

Regards

Krish

• 3. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
              Ruscoff

My Adafruit GPS v3 work well with arduino expansion board.

I think that problem is voltage level. GPS is powered with 3v3 so it output and input thereshold  are related to 3v3.  In think 1.8V is too low to read correctly by GPS and 3v3 maybe damage your edison.

You can use pass through transistor configuration to make simple voltage translator.

Check your mraa version, only last version has Serial class enabled.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
                CMata_Intel

Hi krish11

Did you try with Ruscoff's suggestion? Using a voltage translator.

Ruscoff, did you had to do changes in the sketch in order to get it to work? Or it ran on the first time for you?

krish11, in order to update you MRAA library, enter the next lines:

root@edison:~# echo "src mraa-upm http://iotdk.intel.com/repos/1.1/intelgalactic" > /etc/opkg/mraa-upm.conf
                root@edison:~# opkg update
                root@edison:~# opkg install libmraa0

Regards;

CMata

• 5. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
                  Ruscoff

Honestly i never tryed your sketch. I read krish11 code without found any logic error. I don't know how tinyGPS lib works. My suggestion, before to going into deep code analyze, is to check if uart work properly. In my opinion, krish11 should write simple sketch that print UART received charchters to check that they are all correctly , may it post here the result so we can help him to check and after going to understand where is the problem.

In c++ code i found some problem with UART, the main was library not provent UART loopback this make gps crazy.

Regards

Marco

• 6. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
                    krish11

Hello CMata_Intel

Thank you very much for your suggestions Ruscoff and CMata_Intel

I have tried with both Intel Edison Arduino and mini break out expansion boards. I even tried with even 5v and 3.3v. I got the same output. I will check regarding the UART as per your suggestions. I too think UART might be a problem.

I think Mikal.Hart could help me as I am following his libraries and code(TinyGPS++ | Arduiniana). Can you please have a look on this issue?

Additional Info:

From mini break out board, J20 pin 2 is supplying 3.3v but I have given a separate power supply for GPS using a battery to have a look. I received the same output.

My mraa version is also the latest one and upgraded recently.

Again I have tried the commands suggested too CMata_Intel
                    I have tried with other GPS module but received the same output

I have tried by changing the pin numbers as

Tx:          4(mraa) - J17 - pin 5  GP135  UART2_TX  GPIO, UART2 transmit output.

Rx:          44(mraa) - J20 - pin 3  GP134  UART2_RX  UART2 Rx (input).

I have received the same output I haven't tried with these pins as I think these might not be required:

13(mraa) - J17 - pin 14  GP128  UART1_CTS  GPIO, UART1 clear to send input.

25(mraa) - J18 - pin 12  GP129  UART1_RTS  GPIO, UART1 ready to send output.

Reference:
                    MRAA: mraa/edison.md at master · intel-iot-devkit/mraa · GitHub

• 7. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
                      Ruscoff

This is my configuration for intel arduino expansion board:

GPS TX -> BOARD 0RX

GPS RX -> BOARD 1TX

GPS VIN, GPS EN -> BOARD 3v3

GPS GND -> BOARD GND

Pay attention that in arduino board there is only UART0 available, so when you initialize channel the right number is 0

Regards

Marco

• 8. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
                        krish11

Thank you for your suggestion.

I tried but I received the same output

Regards

Krish

• 9. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
                          Ruscoff

Please post here your GPS output data, maybe problem are there.

• 10. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
                            krish11

I am receiving this output. I can't understand why I am receiving the same error.

Can you please have a look on this thread regarding UART Re: how to read uart'data from  edison board

Waiting for your reply

datetimerx.JPG

• 11. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
                              CMata_Intel

Hi krish11

Is there a way to test your shield? I'm not sure if the error could be the shield itself.

Also, I know that you are trying to test the communication using the UART, do you have updates in this?

Regards;

CMata

• 12. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
                                krish11

Hello CMata_Intel

I have tried the same code with other shield but received the same output. I am trying to test the communication using UART.

Can you help me out in testing UART using Arduino Intel 1.53?

Regards

Krish

• 13. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
                                  Stan_Gifford

Hi Krish

According to the output, you are receiving data but have not received a sentence.

Can I suggest two things.

1. For the moment comment out the current output.

2. As well as passing the data you read to tinygps, also print it out.

Then show us what you are getting

(I wonder if you could post your code as well - unless I am blind and missed it)

Then post it - I do have a feeling that the data is coming in at a different baud rate hence the issues

• 14. Re: Intel Edion mini break out with Adafruit GPS
                                    Stan_Gifford

This may be a redundant comment - but the data you have posted is not the GPS output. What has been posted is the GPS data as processed by tinyGPS - and one of the elements is the number of sentences processed. This datum is zero however the characters received is non zero.

This tells me two things.

1. You have sent some data to tinyGPS and (2) none of this data is valid GPS data.

To reduce complexity, take tinyGPS out of the picture completely.

Make a little program that does the following

1. CHecks to see if a character is available in the UART buffer - if yes, read that character and send it straight out to the serial (console). Then loop back to check next character.

If you post this console output, it will tell us a huge amount about your problem.

Stan

1 2 Previous Next