6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 4:37 PM by sylvia_intel

PowerDVD 14 no longer plays non-Blu Ray files in 3D

tonydlo

Something has changed with the newest graphics driver.

I have an Intel NUC D34010WYKH (BIOS 033) that I have hooked up to my 3D projector (BenQ W1070) via an HDMI 1.4 cable. Playing 3D blu-rays with PowerDVD 14 has worked fine with the past three graphics drivers including the latest. PowerDVD also has the option to play 3D files like side-by-side mkv files, and also regular video files as 3D (the latter being pseudo-3D of course).

Now with the latest graphics driver, gfx_win7_8.1_64_15.36.14.4080, any file-based videos will not play in 3D. Instead I get the audio and a black screen. When I uninstall the latest driver and re-install say, gfx_win7_8_8.1_64_15.36.7.3960, suddenly everything works again and all video files can play in 3D.

To reproduce, ensure you have PowerDVD 14 working properly with a 3D projector by testing a 3D blu-ray. Then play any regular (or side-by-side 3D) video file through PowerDVD. Ensure the 3D setting is selected in PowerDVD. If you have the same issue as me, it won't work with the latest graphics driver, but works with previous drivers.

Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: PowerDVD 14 no longer plays non-Blu Ray files in 3D
          sylvia_intel

Hello Tonydlo, I’m sorry for the inconvenience you have faced with the NUC.

I’m going to report this immediately to the engineers. Thanks a lot for letting us know.

Question? Have you tried installing BIOS version 0035? It is the latest BIOS available for this product https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24673

• 2. Re: PowerDVD 14 no longer plays non-Blu Ray files in 3D
            tonydlo

I installed 0035 on the weekend and the problem still persists. Again, if I go to a previous graphics driver everything works again.

• 3. Re: PowerDVD 14 no longer plays non-Blu Ray files in 3D
              sylvia_intel

Tonydlo, please keep using the previous graphics drivers while I report this to the engineers.

Could you please attach the DX Diag report from your system?  (Start -> Run -> dxdiag -> Save All Information).

Regards,

• 4. Re: PowerDVD 14 no longer plays non-Blu Ray files in 3D
                tonydlo

Hi,

I ran the dxdiag for the new and old driver. Attached is the winmerge diff report.

There looks to be no significant difference between the two logs, just driver version number, size, etc.

Thanks for continuing to look into this. I have reverted to the older driver so at least all 3D files work again on PowerDVD.

• 5. Re: PowerDVD 14 no longer plays non-Blu Ray files in 3D
                  tonydlo

Some good news!

I just wanted to let you know the latest graphics driver just released (3/16/2015 v15.36.18.4156) has fixed some issues.

1. PowerDVD 14 hardware-accelerated playback works again.
                  2. I used to have a glitch when exiting PowerDVD where it would change the resolution from 1920x1080 to the next lower setting. This no longer happens.
                  3. On a different note (maybe I should make a new post about this), the latest driver properly does an HDMI audio reset every time I switch my audio receiver on or off. This means that when it is off (pass through to my projector), it correctly identifies basic audio capability, and when I turn it on, it correctly resets the audio and identifies all the Dolby/DTS features of my receiver! I think this is an issue many people have hit before.

I am especially impressed about #3.

Having said all the good news, I still have one issue:

Playing back 3D side-by-side video files through PowerDVD has some stuttering that I believe is directly related to the refresh rate. PowerDVD changes my projector to 1080P 24FPS 3D mode, which I believe is correct as it does that for all 3D content. It also sets the video driver to 23p refresh rate. I'm not sure what's happening, but every 30-45 seconds it stutters back a couple frames. This make the video viewing almost unbearable. I tried changing the video driver to 24p to see if it made any difference and it didn't. Since it happens with any 3D video file I have, I'm guessing there is some sort of refresh rate that is not in sync between the projector and the video driver. I'm not sure what else to try here.

Looks like things are improving though.

• 6. Re: PowerDVD 14 no longer plays non-Blu Ray files in 3D
                    sylvia_intel

Thanks for the information Tonydlo.  Can you send me the new DX Diag report from your system, now that you are using another driver version?

Thanks a lot