5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2015 11:28 AM by kevin_intel

[bug] DN2820FYKH will not resume from hibernation

fanformusik

Hello,

I am using my DN2820FYKH as a media centre PC. It runs Windows 7HP (64bit) and DVBviewer Pro as media centre software. DVB-C TV reception is done via an external USB receiver.

For scheduled TV recordings, DVBviewer Pro uses Windows' Task Scheduler to wake up the NUC from hibernation.

In order to save energy, and to prevent the NUC from being accidentally turned on by the keyboard space-bar, I deactivated USB power in the BIOS (version 0047):

BIOS > ADVANCED > POWER > USB S5 Power = off .

With this setting, the NUC never resumes from hibernation unless you press the power button. With USB S5 Power = on, the NUC comes on automatically, as expected.

I played around with various other setttings on the BIOS POWER page, but the problem was always linked to the above parameter. I think this is not correct.

• 1. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not resume from hibernation
          kevin_intel

Hello fanformusik,

I just tested this on this NUC model and it is working just fine. By disabling the USB S5 Power it is expected the NUC will not wake up from hibernation mode. I also tested the NUC by having the USB S5 Power = Off but configuring the Secondary power options. The ones you need to configure are the Wakeup Date, Wakeup Hour, Wakeup Minute and Wakeup Second.

20150204_101339.jpg

• 2. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not resume from hibernation
            fanformusik

Hello kevin_intel,

thank you very much for the fast response!

By disabling the USB S5 Power it is expected the NUC will not wake up from hibernation mode

Can you explain the logic, i.e. why should it function like this? I would expect that the computer wakes up from hibernation regardless of its power settings.

...configuring the Secondary power options. The ones you need to configure are the Wakeup Date,....

Yes, but for daily TV recordings, it is inconvenient to enter the BIOS and manually set the time. The TV recording Software does that, and the computer should be ready to resume.

• 3. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not resume from hibernation
              kevin_intel

I said that “By disabling the USB S5 Power it is expected the NUC will not wake up from hibernation mode” because the mouse and keyboard are not working at that point.

If you need to configure this daily for your TV recordings, you can set the Value “0” on wake Up date and it will take that value as every day so it will wake up every day with the minute and second based on the date/time configure at the BIOS.

• 4. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not resume from hibernation
                fanformusik

Hello kevin_intel

thanks for your answer. To be more specific:

With USB S5 Power disabled, it is impossible to wake up the NUC by external devices because they are not under power. That's obvious - no need to specially disable wakeup in the BIOS.

However, when I configure Windows' Task Scheduler to "wake up computer and perform action xyz.." this will not work, since the NUC's BIOS blocks wakeup from S4 (hibernation). That's what I think is wrong and should be corrected in future BIOS versions.

• 5. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not resume from hibernation
                  kevin_intel

Thank you for your feedback. I will pass this to the corresponding department for future references.

Kevin M