1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 3, 2015 8:26 AM by sylvia_intel

Will i7 5820k support 128 gb ddr4 ram on MSI x99 Sli Plus motherboard or i should consider on Xeon series?

MichaelFrei

what processor will support 128gb ram?

• 1. Re: Will i7 5820k support 128 gb ddr4 ram on MSI x99 Sli Plus motherboard or i should consider on Xeon series?
          sylvia_intel

Hello MichaelFrei,

Thanks for joining the processor community.

The information given by Doc is correct, at this moment, all our desktop processors support 64GB RAM.

If the music workstation you want to build is media related only, an i7 will do the job.

However, if you are planning to build your workstation for a recording studio, and you will be using high end software, I would recommend you using a Xeon E5 processor for example.  ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-4603 (10M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI)

What you can do is get a really good high performance motherboard, may be one that support dual processor, so you can start your system with one Xeon processor and then in the future you can get a second one.

You can also add a good sound card and a video card since this processor family does not have onboard video. They support 384 GB of ECC memory and also come with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology which means that they have the capability to execute two programming threads at the same time.

Regards,

Silvia L