12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 10:01 AM by laurb9

Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work

laurb9

I just received my Edison with Arduino expansion board. I have not been able to get the examples to work and I realized that none of the digital pins can be accessed, as either inputs or outputs. Basically:

All the digital pins are floating around 0-0.12V.

Blink LED works (internal LED on pin 13). While it blinks, pin 13 remains floating.

PULLUP does work on any input - I can see 5V on the pin, but grounding it does not have the expected effect (DigitalInputPullUp sketch).

digitalWrite(pin, HIGH) does not have any effect on the pin state which remains floating.

I don't know if this matters, but the breakout board arrived with some residue on the back.

I have also gotten an Arduino Uno R3 with which I've been a lot more productive, I got ADC to display values on an OLED board. With the Edison I can look at a blinking led and that's it. Has anyone else had this issue, is the board defective, should I return it while I can ?

• 1. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
          KurtE

Sounds like something for Intel to answer and if necessary issue an RMA.

Might help to see a picture of your board, to help verify that the appropriate jumpers are installed. Example the IOREF jumper is set to either 3.3 or 5V.  Have you tried removing and reinstalling the Edison on the board to make sure it is seated properly?

How are you powering the board?  By USB or by external power?  Do you have anything else attached to the board other than power?  If so try without it.  Things like OLED displays or ...

when you say digitalWrite(pin, HIGH) does not work, did you do a pinMode first?   Something like the blink program?

void setup() {
            pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
          }

void loop() {
            digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
            delay(250);
            digitalwrite(13, LOW);
            delay(250);
          }

Note: since I typed this in on the fly there can be mistakes...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
            DiegoV_Intel

Hi laurb9,

Did you follow the getting started guide to flash the Edison with the current Yocto Image? Intel® Edison Boards and Compute Modules — Flashing Intel® Edison (wired) - Windows*

Regards,

Diego.

• 3. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
              laurb9

Yes, it currently is

uname -a

Linux edison 3.10.17-poky-edison+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 14 15:19:49 CEST 2014 i686 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/version

edison-rel1-maint-weekly_build_16_2014-10-14_14-56-19

• 4. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
                laurb9

Thank you for replying. The board is below. I tried to switch to 3.3V signals but same thing happens. It looks like the arduino board does not initialize properly.

Power is via USB from laptop docking station. I tried a standalone iphone USB brick as well which should give 1A, no difference. Nothing else attached to the board. I did notice both power rails are noisy. 5V rail is maybe 4.7-4.8V.

I have tried the blink sketch. It blinks the LED but pin 13 is floating.

I modified the sketch to "blink" all outputs from 2-13 thinking it's a problem with that particular pin. Nothing.

I downloaded a node.js application for communicating over i2c with an OLED display. This app only writes blindly without checking that something is there. Nothing on SDA/SCL, both floating.

DSC03670.JPG

• 5. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
                  laurb9

This is what the back of the board looks like. The front is clean. I'm going to try to clean it with alcohol see if things improve.

DSC03672.JPG

• 6. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
                    DiegoV_Intel

Did you try powering the board through the barrel jack?

Is this the first time you use the board, or was the board working fine before?

Regards,

Diego.

• 7. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
                      laurb9

Board is fresh out of the box from Amazon. I cleaned the back of the board with alcohol and now the blink sketch toggles the pins correctly. But in high state, the pin shows the same noise I see on the 5V rail, same 4.7-4.8 unstable value.

Jumper J8 also seems to have no effect, the high state is still 4.7-4.8.

I'll look for an AC adapter but at this point I think there is a problem with conversion from USB power to 5V and that noise messes up other stuff on the board. Which is strange because USB power is clean and exactly 5V.

• 8. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
                        laurb9

Oh I also reseated the Edison when I cleaned the board.

• 9. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
                          DiegoV_Intel

Hi laurb9,

Once you try powering the board through the barrel jack please post the results.

Regards,

Diego.

• 10. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
                            laurb9

Powered with 9V through barrel jack.

5V line is exactly 5.00V on the dot.

3.3V line is noisy 3.47-3.53V and noisy.

J9 does work to change to 3.3V IO. It was actually working before, I had mistakenly tried to use J8 then.

The 3.3V noise also appears on all the high outputs such as when blinking LED, SDA, SCL and so on.

If I leave it on 5 then it seems normal.

Powered via USB again, 5.1V at USB connector (jack disconnected).

5V line is 4.77-4.85V and noisy

3.3V line is 3.5-3.55V

very strange.

I wonder what voltages y'all are seeing on this board ?

• 11. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
                              DiegoV_Intel

Hi laurb9,

Take a look to the measurements I got. I took the measurements from two Arduino Expansion Boards:

Arduino Expansion Board #1:

> Powering the board through the barrel jack (9V)

BarrelJack5VIO.JPG

> Powering the board through the USB port

USB5VIO.JPG

Notice the noisy signals I got when the board was powered through the USB port. When I powered the board using the barrel jack input I got better signals.

Arduino Expansion Board #2:

> Powering the board through the barrel jack (9V)

Edison2BarrelJack5VIO.JPG

> Powering the board through the USB port

Edison2USB5VIO.JPG

For this case I got similar results.

Although I got some noise in the signals when the board was powered through the USB, both boards have been working fine. Is your board working properly? I mean to the functionality of it, is the blink example working as expected? Try testing other examples too.

Regards,

Diego.

• 12. Re: Edison with Arduino board and IDE, digital outputs don't work
                                laurb9

Thank you Diego, so it looks like my board is now functioning within parameters, those look like what I am seeing now for my board on my little scope, as far as levels and lower-order noise. The 4.71-4.79 displayed is the range it fluctuates at. Maybe the board needs some capacitors ? I see that the UNO R3 board the scope is on has two large caps.

DSC03668.JPG

I think what fixed it was either cleaning the gunk on the back or re-seating the Edison (I took it out when I cleaned the board). The blink sketch works and I see that it configures the Arduino board properly (SDA/SCL go high instead of floating etc). I'll try later to run the sketch for the I2C OLED display that's in the picture, maybe I'll get it to work this time. The goal is to get the node.js demo to work eventually as well.