7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 10:25 AM by kevin_intel

DZ77GA-70K board running RAID 1. Raid goes RAW, Disks test good.

Philip.O

My DZ77GA-70K board has been running with a RAID 1 data disk ( 2-2 TB Seagate disks) for over a year.  Windows is installed on a separate SSD.  Now the the Raid volume keeps going RAW in Win7.  I can format it, and a little later it does it again.  The disks test good every way I have tested them.  I am wondering if the Intel Rapid Start might be interfering with it, and for some reason trying to write a hibernation file over the directory structure or something like that.  I have a separate SSD with the hibernation partition on it.  Rapid start has never worked correctly, when it goes to sleep, it wakes up again, but doesn't go into deep sleep.  When I shut it off, it also restarts again if it has slept while it was on.  Then I need to turn it off the second time and it stays off.  Along with the HD quitting, the computer stopped going to sleep of its own accord, it will now only sleep if I manually tell it to sleep.  If anyone has any ideas of what to test or how to remove/reinstall the drivers without needing to reinstall Windows, that would be appreciated.  Thank you!

• 1. Re: DZ77GA-70K board running RAID 1. Raid goes RAW, Disks test good.
          kevin_intel

Hello Philip.O,

Can you please explain what RAW means? I am having problems to understand that so please elaborate more on your description.

Can you also provide the following?

- System report. How to get it?

- System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File> Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

- IRST System Report: Open IRST > Click on Help Tab> Click on System Report > Save > Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

- Number of HDD, Capacity of each one and the configuration.

I appreciate all information you can provide.

Kevin M

• 2. Re: DZ77GA-70K board running RAID 1. Raid goes RAW, Disks test good.
            Philip.O

Kevin,

Thanks for your attention to my problem.

By RAW I mean that in Windows Computer Management/Disk management, the file system shows as RAW, rather than NTFS.  When this happens Windows considers the data unrecognizable.  The only way I have found to get Windows to do anything with the drive is to format it.

GAZ7711H.86A.0066.EB

Drives have been working fine until now.  Hibernation/Rapid Start etc has never worked correctly.  I tried all kinds of things when I was building it to get the Rapid Start to work and wasn't successful.  Unfortunately, by now I forget what all I had tried back then.  Someone I chatted with at Intel back then had informed me I needed a separate drive for the hibernation partition

Board had BIOS GAZ7711H.86A.0066.2013.0521.1509, I re-flashed it with the same, and it starts faster than it did so it appears to me that something was messed up before.  Unfortunately, the drive still went RAW since this, so I'm inclined to believe it had nothing to do with the drive problem.

Today the computer is going to sleep by itself, (and not doing the little restart for hibernation), but it still does do the restart when I shut it down.  I'm afraid the not going to sleep yesterday is due to a program running (my VPN) which seems to prevent sleeping today also.  Formerly, it did not.  Again, this may be a different issue.

From communicating with Seagate, it does appear the disks are physically good.  Again, I can't get them to show any physical problems with either Seagate's SeaTools, or Windows' ChkDsk.

• 3. Re: DZ77GA-70K board running RAID 1. Raid goes RAW, Disks test good.
              Philip.O

For some reason that posted while I was still typing.

I was told I needed a separate drive for the hibernation partition, hence the 120GB drive with a 20GB hibernation partition.

• 4. Re: DZ77GA-70K board running RAID 1. Raid goes RAW, Disks test good.
                kevin_intel

Thank you for sharing all this information.

I am going to setup a LAB and try to replicate this issue but in the meantime can you please provide step by step how you installed the software and configure the system?

Kevin M

• 5. Re: DZ77GA-70K board running RAID 1. Raid goes RAW, Disks test good.
                  kevin_intel

Hello Philip.O,

May Know what is the capacity of the Hibernation Partition you created on the SSD?

Can you attach here your system information report? How to get it?

System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File> Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

Kevin M

• 6. Re: DZ77GA-70K board running RAID 1. Raid goes RAW, Disks test good.
                    Philip.O

Kevin,

Sorry, I was away from my computer for a little.  The hibernation partition right now is 20gb.  I had had it 16gb, and maybe 16384 MB also, but none of the ways seemed to work.

Incidentally, the hard drive has been behaving itself lately.  On Friday when I shut the computer off, it did its restart thing, where it restarts after it is off for a couple of seconds.  As it started it found the drive was in need of a chkdsk check.  I assumed the drive had lost its information again.  I shut the computer down again, and as usual, it stayed off that time.  When I got back to the computer after being away, I expected to need to deal with the hard drive, but praise the LORD, it was working normally, and hasn't made any trouble since.  I am not aware of anything that has changed, either before the problem began, or since it (may have) stopped.

I had attached the system info before, but here it is again.

I unfortunately don't remember the exact order I used to install the software and configure it.  I know I tried to follow the instructions I had from Intel, and that I reinstalled Windows multiple times in attempts to get hibernation to work, but I don't remember which times I followed the instructions, and which times I did it in other ways since the instructions weren't working!

Thank You!

• 7. Re: DZ77GA-70K board running RAID 1. Raid goes RAW, Disks test good.
                      kevin_intel

Thank you. Let me look into this.

Kevin M