Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop, DirectX Visual Novels, fullscreen not functioning on external display

JSchu20
Beginner

i recently got a new Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop with an Intel core and Intel HD graphics card. According to your Intel Driver Update Utility 2.0 i have Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 8/8.1 64-bit 15.33.3.64.3309

i am having a problem with my Visual Novel games. Most of them, if not all, use DirectX to display themselves.

When used on the laptop display they display perfectly, they go fullscreen. However when you use an external display, such as my Toshiba TV, when it goes fullscreen it creates a black border around the game window. In a few of the VN games it actually shrinks the game window a bit. i have also tested it on a Sharp TV with the same result. i use the HDMI ports to access my Toshiba Digital TV. i have gotten the same issue with every Visual Novel i have and have tried. The list so far is:

Tears to Tiara

Come See Me Tonight 1

Come See Me Tonight 2

Tsuki - Possession

Pretty Soldier Wars A.D. 2048

Cat Girl Alliance

We Love Master

Gibo Stepmother's Sin

My Sex Slave is a Classmate

Conquering the Queen

i am hoping that you at Intel have a solution to this problem.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Floral, thanks for joining the Graphics community.

There are some settings on the Intel Graphics control panel that you can try.

• First of all please try setting the same resolution on both systems (monitor and computer)
  • Under Display on the graphics control panel, when you change the resolution you will be able to see some scaling options at the bottom, please choose "Scale full screen" or "maintain display scaling" and try the game again.

Could you please attach the DX Ddiag report for your system? I would like to check some system information such as graphics driver version, operating system etc. (Start -> Run -> dxdiag -> Save All Information).

JSchu20
Beginner

Sylvia,

My laptop is 1366 by 768. i was able to get scaling by going to 1360 by 768. That is the closest to maintaining good picture that could do it. Other than that 1080 by 1024 and 1024 by 768. Everything else just has Center Image.

Most of the Visual Novels on that list it accepted the lower resolution scaling trick enabling them to go fullscreen and doing the 16:9 trick with the TV.

Tears to Tiara and Pretty Soldier Wars A.D. 2048 were not fooled however. They just started fullscreen with that massive black border around the entire screen instead of the application border. The tv display confirmed the games had switched the resolution to 1080p. A clever little program.

Thankyou for the workaround for most of my games while you work to solve the issue.

As requested the i attached the DX diagnostic log.

floral

0 Kudos