9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2015 2:27 PM by peterst10

Boot Ubuntu 14.10 on a Intel NUC D54250WYKH2 several Issues

Suermel

Hey Folks,

i recently bought a NUC D54250WYKH2 and have several issues.

What i want to do:

Run Ubuntu 14.10 via USB 3.0 Flash Drive.

My purchased Hardware:

Intel NUC D54250WYKH2 Barebone - Intel Core i5-4250U

WD Green 2TB WD20NPVX - 2,5'' / SATA III / I.Power / 8MB

Kingston 8GB SO-DIMM DDR3L 1600MHz CL11 - ValueRam

Kingston DataTraveler G4 32GB - USB 3.0 Stick

All Hardware works just fine (as far as i can see).

My next Steps:

I downloaded the Ubuntu 14.10 Iso - and used the "Universal Installer" to Mount it. (It works fine by the way on my Dekstop PC with Windows 7 Professional AND it works on a USB 2.0 USB Stick on the NUC).

BUT:

I cant boot from my USB 3.0 USB Stick at all.

*Edit* : I can boot Ubuntu - but it aborts at the Ubuntu loading Screen"

Error-Message: "Unable to find a medium containing a live file System".

I CAN boot from a USB 2.0 Stick - and make Ubuntu run (at least once from the Stick - if i install Ubuntu and reboot i have the Problem that the NUC wont find a bootable medium. Besides: The HD is perfectly working and so does the 8 GB DDR ValueRAM.

There is this very interesting Blog Entry regarding this issue:

Linux on the NUC: Using Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, and the SteamOS beta | Ars Technica

My Questions:

At the latest Bios Version for my Nuc: Is there a Problem with the USB 3.0 Driver ? Is it possible that the USB 3.0 isnt provided during the boot process ?

Is there an Issue like mentioned in the Blog link above with the Bootx64.Efi file trying to run Ubuntu on a Flash drive  ?

Any help i gladly taken !

Thanks

Daniel

• 1. Re: Boot Ubuntu 14.10 on a Intel NUC D54250WYKH2 several Issues
          sylvia_intel

Hello Daniel, thanks for joining the Intel NUC community.

Would you please let me know the following information in order to try to replicate your issue?

Current BIOS version:

I do not have a Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 USB stick; however I could try using a Lexar 3.0.

• 2. Re: Boot Ubuntu 14.10 on a Intel NUC D54250WYKH2 several Issues
            Suermel

Hey Silvia,

i guess i have another Issue now:

I choosed "Fast Boot" in the Bios - so first i have to reset my Bios with the Repair File. Because right now i have no chance accees the Boot Menu. (Therefore i cant tell u my Bios Version right now).

After i managed to get my NUC Bios back on track i will follow a instruction for installing ubuntu i found here: Intel® NUC — Operating System Installation

If THAT doesn´t work i come back to you.

Cheers

Daniel

• 3. Re: Boot Ubuntu 14.10 on a Intel NUC D54250WYKH2 several Issues
              Suermel

Hey Guys,

it gets worse and worse:

I cant even access the Bios anymore.

I accidentl switched on "Fast Boot" in the Bios. So from my understanding of "fast boot" the bios doenst check and external sources. There isnt even a Menu where i can choose to F2, F7 or F10.

It goes directly to this message: A bootable device has not been detected. Please refer to the Product at http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/

So my next step was: Switch the Jumper to "Safe mode" (from Pin 1/2 to Pin 2/3) -> in the description it say that then the Bios should automaticly load - no reaction though - i get the same Message as schown above.

So i removed the BIOS Battery for 5-6 Minutes to clear the CMOS.

On the next Boot i get the message "CMOS Battery Voltage low etc." (apparently the CMOS was restored. But again : just the error message from above.

If i plug in a USB 2.0 Flash with a Ubuntu ISO (Boot worked befoere here) i get again the same Error.

Right now i dont know what to do to get this thing running Any suggestions ?

Wasnt the Bios Battery unplug long enough ? (5-6 Minutes)

Any Help gladly appriciated !

Cheers

Daniel

• 4. Re: Boot Ubuntu 14.10 on a Intel NUC D54250WYKH2 several Issues
                dougho

I am not from Intel, but I think the thing about jumper change to enter BIOS setup may have been older motherboards.  I have not done it in awhile, but I think for your NUC there is some special way to hold down the power button for some certain number of seconds from the off state - try looking for that in the instructions.  I think it is some fairly specific amount - too short and you'll just do normal power on, too long and it won't do the special BIOS setup.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Boot Ubuntu 14.10 on a Intel NUC D54250WYKH2 several Issues
                  Suermel

Dude u are my Hero ! Worked :) Come over to Germany i Hand u a Beer ;)

Now i can Access the BIOS again and Start the Process all over again tomorrow .

Thanks

• 6. Re: Boot Ubuntu 14.10 on a Intel NUC D54250WYKH2 several Issues
                    Suermel

@ Silvia

My Bios Version is: WYLPT1OH.86A.0021.2013.1017.1606

I guess there is a new version so i will update Bios first.

• 7. Re: Boot Ubuntu 14.10 on a Intel NUC D54250WYKH2 several Issues
                      Suermel

So i have the newest Verson now:

WYLPT10H.86A.033.2014.1201.0940

Still the same Issue - cant Boot from USB 3.0

• 8. Re: Boot Ubuntu 14.10 on a Intel NUC D54250WYKH2 several Issues
                        Apachez

Try this:

1) Download this:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/utopic-updates/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/boot.img.gz

2)

IF Linux:

2.1) Unzip the file: gunzip boot.img.gz

2.2) Load it onto your usb-drive:

2.2.1) Find out which device name your usb-drive got when inserted (dmesg should tell you).

2.2.2) Use the above device name as destination like so: dd if=boot.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

IF Windows:

2.1) Download and install USB-writer: USBWriter | SourceForge.net

2.2) Select your boot.img.gz as source and your USB-drive as target.

2.3) Once this is done and you close USB-writer, dont forget to safetly unplug your USB-device (near the clock in the taskbar).

3) Plugin your USB-drive into your NUC and you should be able to boot from it.

4) If it still wont boot then please write down all bios settings you use (enabled/disabled) and we will try to help you on how you should have your BIOS setup.

The above boot.img.gz worked for me and is the netinstall boot for Ubuntu 14.10 (exists similar for older versions aswell). The netinstall will fetch packages needed over the Internet. In the end of the install you might need to unplug your USB drive for the GRUB install to complete successfully (this is the last stage before reboot so the USB drive is no longer needed at this point).

• 9. Re: Boot Ubuntu 14.10 on a Intel NUC D54250WYKH2 several Issues
                          peterst10

OMG guys !!!  I pasted my post into three threads already. Same problem everywhere !! Just google and read the Ubuntu UEFI documentation PLEASE !

I had the same problem after I installed Ubuntu 14.10 x64 from 4GB USB onto an Intel 530 120GB mSata in D54250WYK.  All I had to do  is to create a 400MB  "EFI partition" when creating the partitions and setting the mount points. However I think I could have done it without reinstalling the whole OS , just create the EFI partition. Somebody try it out.

After the first failed boot I googled and read the uefi-ubuntu documentation.  After the install the system booted without any problem. I think the legacy boot was/is also enabled. The mSata SSD has GPT partition style , partitions in order are (1) EFI partition (2) swap area (3) system-files /

Actually you should follow only this link: UEFI - Community Ubuntu Documentation

(and a few further links from this site).

Creating an EFI partition

If you are manually partitioning your disk in the Ubuntu installer, you need to make sure you have an EFI partition set up.

• If your disk already contains an EFI partition (eg if your computer had Windows8 preinstalled), it can be used for Ubuntu too. Do not format it. It is strongly recommended to have only 1 EFI partition per disk.
                          • An EFI partition can be created via a recent version of GParted (the Gparted version included in the 12.04 disk is OK), and must have the following attributes:
                            • Mount point: /boot/efi (remark: no need to set this mount point when using the manual partitioning, the Ubuntu installer will detect it automatically)
                            • Size: minimum 100Mib. 200MiB recommended.
                            • Type: FAT32
                            • Other: needs a "boot" flag.

I downloaded the Ubuntu 14.10 Iso - and used the "Universal Installer" to Mount it. (It works fine by the way on my Dekstop PC with Windows 7 Professional AND it works on a USB 2.0 USB Stick on the NUC).

BUT:

I cant boot from my USB 3.0 USB Stick at all.

*Edit* : I can boot Ubuntu - but it aborts at the Ubuntu loading Screen"

Error-Message: "Unable to find a medium containing a live file System".

Google and download a software called UNETBOOTIN or Live Linux Installer ... both of those are working for me. Might be that the Universal installer does not support properly 14.10 release.

UNetbootin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

AND

"Run Ubuntu 14.10 via USB 3.0 Flash Drive."

it's called Persistent mode. UNETBOOTIN does it automatically AFAIK.