1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 2:12 PM by Zeenat

Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux

Taimoor

Hello Everybody,

I was wondering if someone has tried to follow the the tutorial at Finding Hotspots on a Remote Linux System?

I went through the Host Setup (Prepare Your Host) fairly easily. (I have Linux on a VM)

The next step is to prepare the target (Prepare Your Target Device)... Now this step is confusing me... It states and I quote "Copy the required package archive located at [program files]\intel\system_studio_201x.0.<package_num>\vtune_amplifier_201x_for_systems\targets directory to your remote Linux* target system."

On my Windows machine where this program is installed, there is a "target" folder and it does not contain any "*.tgz" file as mentioned in the document (vtune_amplifier_target_x86_64.tgz).

Does anyone have any idea how I can proceed from here?

I am using the Intel Edison board.

Many Thanks!!

btw, below is the snapshot of my VTuneAmp...\target folder...

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi Taimoor,

I will try to replicate this issue. I will let you know my results shortly.

Regards

Sergio

• 2. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
            Taimoor

Hey Sergio,

Thank you for the reply. I am looking forward to your answer.

In your reply, can you also detail the build procedure?

The tutorial that I pointed out bitbakes a fresh version of Yocto. I don't want to do that. Probably, we can just use the Edison SDK and cross compile the driver(s) to work with the officialy supported version. Perhaps you can share these commands as well?

• 3. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
              Intel_Alvarado

Hi Taimoor,

I tried following the procedure but I don’t seem to fully understand the procedure you followed. I started following this https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/535209#GUID-23DC3E33-9E42-4CE4-B1B4-EF7F2A8AB919 . I used the linux 1.6 and in the toolchain folder I found the i686 and x86_64 folders http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-1.6/toolchain/i686/ and http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-1.6/toolchain/x86_64/ . In both folders I only found .sh files. What procedure did you followed to download this target folder on your Windows machine? I however found the file .bz2 that I believe is from where you downloaded it. I found it from here http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-1.2/toolchain/i686/ . If this is the one you are using I believe it won’t work because it is an older version of Yocto. The Yocto version used in Edison is 1.6.

Regards

Sergio

• 4. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
                Taimoor

Hello Sergio,

I installed Intel System Studio on Linux and the target folder has the bz2 files indeed for linux -32 and -64.

Did you manage to run an analysis through VTune on the edison target?

• 5. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
                  JonKim

Hi Taimoor,

you need to install Intel System Studio Professional or UItimate Edition. ( Windows* host )  <- this suit is for Embedded targets so it contains the file you need.

make sure you don't install Intel System Studio for Windows* <- this suit is for Windows target so it doesn't contain the file for linux targets.

I successfully profiled my Edison with my Windows* host machine.

What you need to do is

(1). copy the needed file (linux32\vtune_amplifier_target_x86.tgz)  into your Edison and extract

(2). Secure the SSH connection using Putty

For remote collection with PuTTY* Plink, set up the password-less mode as follows:

1. Install the PuTTY package from www.putty.org.
                  2. Add the path to the PuTTy tools directory to the System variables > PATH variable and verify the connection, for example:host> plink.exe user@target ls
                  3. In the PuTTY Key Generator dialog box, click the Generate button (with all default settings intact) to generate keys.
                  4. Save the private key to your local drive, for example: C:\temp\linux_private_key.ppk.
                  5. Copy the public key from the PuTTY Key Generator dialog box and paste it to the file in the shared Linux /home directory: ~/.ssh/authorized_keys. If the file is absent, create it.
                  6. In the PuTTY Configuration dialog box, make sure to have the following settings:

7.Save the settings as the Default Settings session in PuTTY.

(3). No need to build and install extra drivers.

(4). Indicate the extracted folder name correctly when you profile using VTune.

• 6. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
                    Sukruth

Hi,

The directory structure have changed now and the target tgz files are placed under "<install_dir>/system_studio_2015.0.xxx/targets/system_studio_target/vtune_amplifier_2015_for_systems_target/linux32" folder. BTW there is a "system_studio_target.tgz" file which you may need to untar to see the above dir structure. I have tried using VTune on Yocto, But not on Edison using Yocto. I think you may follow the rest of the steps as mentioned and should work fine.

Please do let me know if you have any issues.

Regards,

Sukruth H V

• 7. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
                      WANGYANG

Hi Taimoor,

Could you please let me know the version of your Intel System Studio? By default, the VTune target bits is located in the "Intel System Studio Installation folder"/VTune Amplifier 2015 for Systems/target/linux32(or linux64). The same bits also exists in the file "Intel System Studio Installation folder"/Targets/system_studio_target.tgz.

By the way, you may need the Edison Yocto build environment to build the VTune drivers. The default Edison SDK does not contains the kernel source for VTune driver build. So most likely you can not use Edison SDK to build VTune drivers unless you build the "kenel-dev" package when you build the Edison image and add it into your SDK.

In the Intel System Studio 2015, we have the integration with Yocto project. We provide the VTune recipes for Yocto project. The integration works fine for Edison image build since Edison is also based on Yocto. With the integration, you can simply add intel-iss-vtune-target recipe in your Edison configuration file and the required drivers will be built automatically. The required drivers and utilities on target will be built into target Edison image automatically. You can find more details from here: Using Intel® System Studio with the Yocto* Project | Intel® Developer Zone

Thanks.

-Yang

• 8. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
                        WANGYANG

By the way, please make sure you installed the right Intel System Studio version. The TARGET OS is Linux. We provide both windows host and linux host packages. In order to build the VTune sep drivers (which is required for advanced Event based sampling), I suggest you to install the Intel System Studio package on linux host.

thanks.

-Yang

• 9. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
                          Taimoor

Hello WANGYANG and everybody... Good afternoon.

Thank you all for your replies. I am starting again from scratch now. I am sure I downloaded the correct installer this time around. The version that I'm installing now is 2015r1. I will let you guys know if anything goes wrong.

I want to evaluate VTune Energy Profiler with the Edison. Do you have any results or documents that can help me compile a report for the use of the Energy Profiler with the Edison??

Any help is much appreciated.

JonKim, what analysis did you run to test VTune?

Sukruth... I have my fingers crossed .. lets see...

Regards

Taimoor

• 10. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
                            Taimoor

Hello JonKim

I reinstalled System Studio ... this time ensuring that I downloaded "Intel® System Studio Professional Edition for Windows* (All Tools)"... There is still no *.tgz file(s) as mentioned by you and in the documents. What am I doing wrong?

I also installed System Studio on my Linux VM and found that the tgz files do exist in there under "/opt/intel/system_studio_2015.1.045/vtune_amplifier_2015_for_systems/target/linux32" ... From Linux, I am able to rune Intel VTune Amplifier...

Now I am getting an error that says that Power Analysis is not supported on this platform. Anybody??

Danke Schön!!

------------EDIT--------------------

BTW, I was able to profile my other programs. I haven't been able to successfully do an energy analysis. I rebuilt the drivers on my VM and inserted them using the provided scripts. No success though. :-|

• 11. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
                              JonKim

Hi Taimoor,

In the earlier message I said

"you need to install Intel System Studio Professional or UItimate Edition. ( Windows* host )  <- this suit is for Embedded targets so it contains the file you need.

make sure you don't install Intel System Studio for Windows* <- this suit is for Windows target so it doesn't contain the file for linux targets."

you might got confused.. you installed a wrong version again.

For Energy Profiler , it doesn't require VTune to be connected remotely to your target while collecting the data.

You will run Intel SoCWatch on the target ( Edison, in your case ) , then you can import the result to VTune to visulaize the collected data.

you might need to build Energy Analysis Driver. So  take a look at VTune Documentation which you can find at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\System Studio 2015.x.xxx\VTune Amplifier 2015 for Systems\documentation\en\help\index.htm

go to 'User's Guide' > Before you begin > Installing Drivers > Building and managing the Energy Analysis Driver.     <- for drivers

go to 'User's Guide' > Running Analysis Remotely > Collecting Intel Energy Profiler Data Remotely.   <- how to run the Energy Analysis

Thank you

• 12. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
                                WANGYANG

Hi Taimoor,

Unfortunately Intel Energy Profiler does not support the Edison target yet. You can't run the power analysis either remotely or natively on Edison Linux OS. The supported OS and Target is listed here: Energy Analysis Workflow With Intel® Energy Profiler

You can use VTune amplifier for system from ISS for performance analysis. Please let me know if you want to do so. I have some tips and tricks to make it work smoothly.

Thanks.

-Yang

• 13. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
                                  Taimoor

Hey Yang,

I haven't had any problems running the ISS performance analysis.

Can you however, if you have this info, provide me some document that gives this information (sleep states, wakeup events ... all things related to the energy profiler) so I can use it in a document that I am writing for scientific purposes? If possible, I need this info really quickly (I am submitting on Friday, Germany time).

Regards

• 14. Re: Edison and VTuneAmplifier2015 Remote Linux
                                    WANGYANG

Hi Taimoor,

For Intel Energy Profiler, you may refer to the document in the intel system studio target package. For example, in the Intel system studio/Target/ folder, extract intel_system_studio.tgz file, and in folder socwatch_android_v1.4.1b, there is a socwatch document for android.

We also have a Intel Energy Profiler pdf slide in our website. You can get it from here: https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/18/41/06_Intel_Energy_Profiler.pdf

Hope this helps.

thanks.

-Yang

1 2 Previous Next