6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 1:52 AM by DomiWag

Intel Galileo Gen -2 Firmware issue

shriyansh.mit

Hi,

I am using Intel Galileo Gen-2 with Linux envourment. I updated firmware through arduino-1.5.3-Intel.1.0.4 after updation i am unable to see COM port on myb device and nothing is working on my board.

I follow this article Intel® Galileo Board Recovery Mode .

Is serial cable required for firmware updation??

Please let me exact steps now how i will update firmware and required hardware cables(Serial cable,USB to USB HOST port etc)?

Thanks

Shreyansh

• 1. Re: Intel Galileo Gen -2 Firmware issue
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi Shreyansh,

Yes, that is correct the serial cable is required for this procedure. For this particular method of recovering the firmware you need the following:

These are the steps for this procedure in linux:

• Download the FVMAIN.fv file for Galileo Gen2 board attached in this message https://communities.intel.com/message/245873#245873
          • Extract the FVMAIN.fv.zip and copy it to the root of a USB drive 2.0.
          • Remove USB cables and Power supply from the Galileo board.
          • Connect the serial cable to the FTDI port and the PC, this should load the drivers. The device should be visible if you type ls /dev/ttyUSB* in the terminal.
          • Now use open a client connection like putty, you can also use screen. In case you are using screen type the following command sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200 , replace USB0 with the device you are using. This at this moment you should see a black screen in the terminal window.
          • Connect the USB drive with the files to USB Host port.
          • Ground the resistor showed in section 2.5.4 of the following doc https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22475
          • Connect the power supply of the Galileo board.
          • A menu with the types of boards should pop up. Type 4 to select the Galileo board.
          • Remove the ground connection to the resistor
          • You should see a dialog box, press R to get into recovery mode and recover the firmware.
          • The procedure should take about five minutes and when it’s done update the firmware version to the latest by using the IDE.

In case you need the FVMAIN.fv for a Galileo Gen1 board you can get it from here https://communities.intel.com/message/240391#240391. Let me know if this works.

Regards,
          JPMontero_Intel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel Galileo Gen -2 Firmware issue
            shriyansh.mit

Thanks JPMontero for your quick reply...

I am having some more confusion like :

- Step:2 Extract the FVMAIN.fv.zip and copy it to the root of a USB drive 2.0. What is USB drive 2.0(are you talking about pen drive?)??

- Step:3 Remove USB cables and Power supply from the Galileo board. Which type of USB cable we will use??

If possible please clarify with help of screen shots.

- Step:4 Connect the serial cable to the FTDI port and the PC, this should load the drivers. The device should be visible if you type ls /dev/ttyUSB* in the terminal. I am using Windows7 (32bit) where i can find terminal for type ls /dev/ttyUSB* command??

- Step:5 Now use open a client connection like putty, you can also use screen. In case you are using screen type the following command sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200 , replace USB0 with the device you are using. This at this moment you should see a black screen in the terminal window.

Suppose i am using putty how i will connect to client or how i will use screen in Windows 7??

Please figure out these issues..

Thanks

Shreyansh

• 3. Re: Intel Galileo Gen -2 Firmware issue
              shriyansh.mit

HI,

How to Ground the resistor in Galileo Gen-2 board. Is there any other cable required like Jumper cable(http://www.diygadget.com/accessories/solderless-flexible-breadboard-jumper-cable-wires-mm-mf-ff-70-20-15-pcs.html).

Thanks

Shreyansh

• 4. Re: Intel Galileo Gen -2 Firmware issue
                JPMontero_Intel

Hi Shreyansh,

What is USB drive 2.0(are you talking about pen drive?)??

Yes, that is correct.

Which type of USB cable we will use??

For this procedure there is no need for USB cables, what I meant to say is to remove all cables connected to the board.

I am using Windows7 (32bit) where i can find terminal for type ls /dev/ttyUSB* command??

I apologize for this I thought you were using Linux. For Windows you just need to go to Device manager, expand Ports(COM & LPT) tab and when you plug the FTDI cable you should see a USB Serial Port in there, notice the COM port number since we will use this later in the Putty.(See picture below)

DeviceManager.PNG

Suppose i am using putty how i will connect to client or how i will use screen in Windows 7??

Screen is a Linux command, so you can try putty. Open Putty and it will pop up a window like the one below. In this picture you can see I selected Serial, this will enable serial communication. Then you need to enter the COM port number of the device you saw in the Device manger, mine is COM9, but again you need to replace it with the number on your Device manager. Now set up the speed to 115200 and click on Open. Then you should get a blank black screen. In case you don't have PuTTY, you can get it from here: Download PuTTY - a free SSH and telnet client for Windows.

PuTTY.PNG

How to Ground the resistor in Galileo Gen-2 board.

That is correct you need to use a jumper to ground the resistor.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
                JPMontero_Intel

• 5. Re: Intel Galileo Gen -2 Firmware issue
                  shriyansh.mit

HI JPMontero,

Thanks very much for your quick reply !!!

Now i am clear how i will update firmwareI but having one more issue related to serial cable. Serial cable(Amazon.com: Intel Galileo Gen 2 Serial cable: Computers & Accessories) is not avaliable in india. Please let me know this cable http://hacktronics.co.in/home/468-6pin-ftdi-ft232rl-usb-to-serial-adapter-module-usb-to-ttl-rs232.html will work or not? If not please let me know how i design this cable..

Please let me know is it right way to ground the register?

Ground.png

Thanks

Shreyansh Jain

• 6. Re: Intel Galileo Gen -2 Firmware issue
                    DomiWag

Hi Shreyansh Jain,

the cable you have linked to should work with Galileo Gen2. Please note however that with Gen2 you won't need to ground a resistor, but connect the golden square labeled FWR (pretty close to where the resistor should be) to GND.

galileo-front-2x1.jpg

To do that, you can use a jumper wire and plug it into your Galileo, just as you did in your image.

I have tested this with three Gen2 boards so I am sure it works this way, and not as stated in the guide. Appearently it is Gen1 and has not been updated for Gen2.

Regards,

Dominik