Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Do I need to purchase a new compatible motherboard to utilize the integrated graphics on my new i7-4790k?

JStri1
Beginner

I've been building my new PC for awhile, and I low-ended my motherboard. I knew I was going to be receiving a good processor through the Intel Retail Edge program, so I thought I had a "decent enough" motherboard picked out.

I'm afraid I was wrong now and now I'm paying for it. I used nothing but PC part picker (which I now regret and understand why you shouldn't rely strictly on that), and I was told that my new 4790k would be compatible with my motherboard (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4729# ov http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4729# ov)

Looking on Intels site however, the 4790k doesn't seem to be compatible with the MOBO's chipset.

The computer runs great, the processor works great. The ONLY issue, is that I cannot use my integrated graphics. The only display adapter I have is the Intel HD Graphics 4600, and it has the latest drivers (I did multiple clean installs). However my display is using the Microsoft Basic Display Driver and not my Intel processor, and I'm unable to use my Intel display adapter to run ANYTHING even though it's listed and "working".

I've also run Intels Processor Diagnostic Tool and everything checked out.

Do I need a new motherboard, or is there something else wrong, or did I get a bad processor somehow?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee
JStri1
Beginner

Thank you joe_intel! No, I do not have a third party graphics adapter. Intels processors and integrated graphics have treated me well enough to where I haven't needed a third party adapter.

I'm not entirely sure what the issue was, but it was a driver one. I say this because I was told to download a specific program to remove my drivers - and while doing that it detected and managed to delete drivers that I previously "deleted" through the hardware manager.

After that I downloaded the latest VGA drivers for my MOBO, and the display adapter worked fine.

However; I have been having some serious performance issues since then even though I've been able to utilize the integrated graphics and the display adapter.

Benchmarking with FurMark I only get a measly 8fps running at 720p. Playing my games I don't seem to be getting 1/10th of the power I was using my i3 previous.

I contacted intel support this morning and I helped me, as I hadn't realize that my BIOS wasn't up to date. I've currently updated to F5, though I'm still getting what could only be described as "very horrible" performance.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Did you check your CPU Temperature?

0 Kudos
JStri1
Beginner

Sorry for the delayed response - College and work, unfortunately.

Temperatures while trying to play GW2 peaked at 58C, never went higher.

I used Core Temp to monitor. I did notice my wattage was fluctuating though, even while resting.

0 Kudos