11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 11:31 PM by srikar

IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem

gadmich

Hi all,

I have some problems with Arduino examples for Edison module. For my project I want to send and receive some data to/from Iot Analytics Dashboard over WiFi. For these purposes I'm using Arduino examples IoTkitSimpleExample, IoTKitActuationExample and IoTkitRegisterExample. Thanks to these examples, I can register components (like temperature sensor, power actator) and send some data like temperature value to Iot Analytics via WiFi. Now, when I have registered power actuator I want to control LED on the Arduino Edison board via Iot Analytics. I'm using IoTKitActuationExample and it doesn't work. I'm sending LED actions (with values 1 or 0) from Iot Analytics Dasboard website, but I don't receive anything. There is no message via seria port from Arduino serial monitor or even no message about receiving sth via Putty and IotKit agent. What am I doing wrong? Why I can send sth to IotAnalytics, but I can not receive LED action message from enableiot website. Are there problems with setting IP or UDP ports in Arduino example?

Michal

• 1. Re: IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem
          mhahn

if you don't get an answer here you may possibly also try at enableiot/iotkit-agent · GitHub

• 2. Re: IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem
            CMata_Intel

Hi gadmich

Did you tried with mhahn's suggestion? Do you still have questions about this?

Regards;

CMata

• 3. Re: IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem
              joanna.rozestwinska@intel.com

Hi @gadmich ,

To receive the actuation, you must use "mqtt" transport type, and have iotkit-agent process up and running.

Which version of iotkit-agent are you using? There were also some improvements in sample scripts, please check if the ones you are using are up to date.

Regards, Joanna

• 4. Re: IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem
                virtualburton

I have the same (or similar issues). The example code doesn't do anything, and I haven't been able to find any way to see what's happening on the edison to troubleshoot it.

It seems really pathetic to supple example code to people trying to learn it that:

a) doesn't work

b) has no description of the code or comments to tell you what the code is SUPPOSED to be doing

c) has no troubleshooting help or

d) no way to monitor so ou can troubleshoot it yourself.

I have wasted days with Intel's iotkit and IoT dashboard and so far it's been a waste of time. Very frustrtaing.

Any help is appreciated.

(btw I have read every single page in the iotkit pages/wiki and they are all vague overviews with no detail and not complete for new users.)

Frustratedly yours,

David

• 5. Re: IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem

Hi virtualburton,

I'm really sorry you experience problems with IoT Kit. From what I understand you're trying to run actuation example. When did you download the IoTKit zip package ot github repository? There were some significant improvements on January 21st.

Anyway to turn the LED on your Edison on or off:

- set the time correctly

- device must be active in IoT Cloud

- agent must use MQTT to listen for actuation

- component named "power" should be registered with type powerswitch.v1.0 (./iotkit_admin.js register power powerswitch.v1.0)

- agent should be running

- arduino IotKitActuationExample sketch should be running

- then a command should be executed from the dashboard

Are you behind a proxy? Please let me know if it worked for you.

Regards,

Joanna

• 6. Re: IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem
                    virtualburton

Thanks so much for replying Joanna - I really appreciate it. I was able to contact another support engineer and he helped me get it solved, but there were several problems with the example code shipped with iotkit and most important the iotkit on my Edison was out of date - I don;t know why Intel's latest image that I flashed onto the Edison Monday contains avery old iotkit but it does, so I update it from 1.5.0 to 1.6.4. Here are all the details for anyone having issues with controlling devices from the IoT dashboard:

IoT dashboard Control/Actuator working code or tutorial?

Again, thanks very much for following up on this for me.

David

• 7. Re: IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem
                      jchozas

Hi everyone,

I would like to develop a streaming real time app with the Intel Edison and AD8232 SparkFun Single Lead Heart Rate Monitor. The idea is to send the sensor data to the Cloud for processing and visualization I have a doubt about Intel IOT Analytics and I would like to know.

• Any platform HA, backup, redundancy,..?
                      • Max data retention time: 1 year, 1 months?
                      • Max data rate to update data to the Cloud: 10", 1", 100ms , etc?

Thank you so much.

• 8. Re: IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem

Hi jchozas ,

Currently there is no data retention established, probably it will be one year, however for now there are no limitations.

Suggested interval between observations for each device component is 30s. System allows 10 observations per second per one user, yet you have to divide this by number of device components that submit data.

As you can read in Terms And Conditions, IoT Cloud does not provide assurance on storing the submitted data. However, answering the HA and redundancy, the infrastructure is stable and we do not observe data loss.

Regards,

Joanna

• 9. Re: IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem
                          tonu

Hi All,

I was stuck with similar issue.. I am Using Edison and Arduino IDE and above mentioned example to receive data back from cloud.

I had taken all the necessary steps required like using mqtt protocol,registering components,activating device etc.

One this I missed is restarting iotkit-agent after registering new Component(Sensor or Actuator..... iotkit-admin register <component-alias>  <Component-name>) this

This Worked solution for me

use systemctl enable iotkit-agent  or

systemctl restart iotkit-agent (MANDATORY after registering new Component...)

Hope it works...

• 10. Re: IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem
                            mhahn

the better way would be to register via iotkit-agent. That way you wouldn't have to restart the agent

• 11. Re: IoTkit Examples and Iot Analytics problem
                              srikar

When i am sending data from cloud to edison based on a rule it is taking more time to trigger to board after my condition in the rule got activated

for example i set a rule saying if the light value > 500 then send a actuation. After that rule is activated the trigger message is getting after a long delay of  4-5 mins.

Is that edison agent receiving it slowly or cloud that sending it slowly  ?