Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Artifacts, white pixels, tearing on HD4000 on 3rd gen i7-3612QM when CPU heats up

PMysh
Novice

A picture says it all. Notice the pixels and tearing on the down right side. Any one can guide to a solution to avoid the problems except "avoid overloading to 100% capacity" ?

Thanks so much !

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi PM, I have some questions about your issue:

• Is this a screenshot or a picture taken with a camera? Was this taken from a laptop's main or an external screen?
  • What programs are running in your system and taking most of the CPU utilization? Does the issue occur every time you run such programs?
  • Does the issue occur if you use a different graphics driver version? Does the issue occur if you uninstall Intel® HD Graphics and use the Microsoft* inbox driver from Windows* Update?
  • Can the issue be reproduced in safe mode?
  • Please share your DxDiag report (press Windows* key + R key, type "dxdiag", press OK and then click "Save All Information").
0 Kudos
PMysh
Novice

Hello joe,

Thanks for paying attention.

I suspect that the issue is bound to the package temperature. I often use the CPU to 100% for several tens of seconds, because i am developing stuff. After that all 3D capable browsers and Aero itself have artifacts and severe tearing if I really used the CPU power. I verified the airflow, this laptop model is pushing it with the sound of a jet engine.

• screenshot of the main laptop screen without any other connected
  • development IDEs while compiling and such ...
  • I suspect that it began with some driver version about more than a year ago. I tried to change several drivers back from Intel, tried the originals from Sony, the the one which Windows Update installs automatically (the Microsoft*Inbox probably ), latest from the announcement which is posted on this forum from January 2015. The graphics driver was uninstalled always from the device manager with checking the "Delete driver software".
  • I will try in safe mode now
  • sharing dxdiag, http://pastebin.com/VdL9iaVi DxDiag - Pastebin.com

Thank you so much !

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It looks like a hardware issue to me, probably related to the thermal solution. Did you contact the system manufacturer for assistance?

0 Kudos
PMysh
Novice

Haven`t yet contacted the manufacturer, because the warranty period has finished.

Thanks so much for your input.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Only reinstalling the operating system will completely discard a software issue but you may ask if an authorized dealer or store can service it, clean the fan, and replace the thermal grease inside.

0 Kudos
PMysh
Novice

I have disassembled my laptop and applied a new thermal grease, the best arctic silver 5. I had to do it 4 times until I got it right. This paste has a longer than other "break in" period so the effects of temperature reduction were not apparent immediately.

After several tens of hours of operation, loading to the max and allowing to cool for an hours or so it did its job and artifacts, pixels and tearing are gone.

The issue is the overheating of course but the root cause I think that my laptop model is quite thin. Over the years I ave several times lifted it by holding it only with one hand on he side where the CPU and its heatsink are located. by doing so over the years the heatsink probably bend a bit and perfect contact with the die became less than optimal. That theory is supported by the fact that several chassis screws were not tight inside and outside which allowed harm to be done to the heatsink by incorrect lifting and handling. I have bent, by hand, the heat pipes a bit in the opposite direction and verified, by laying it over another bigger heatsink, that I got the bend in the right plane in respect to its mounting location on the motherboard.

Works like a champ for days now.

PMysh
Novice

hi joe_intel,

It seems that I am still experiencing the same problems, even after renewing the thermal paste on the CPU.

Also I gained Important new insight into the problem, I have completely uninstalled the Intel driver software and Windows 10 replaced it with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" ... and the problem with "white pixels, artifacts, tearing" are solved completely and deterministically!

• It proves that the problem is exactly in the driver from Intel.
  • I tried to install all available drivers from the 8-15(latest) versions and all are immediately having problems. The latest version 15.xx is the worst for me, the display driver was crashing once a minute !
  • I tried to use the Intel Driver Update utility, and installed from it the drivers, not solved.
  • The performance of Windows effects and movie playback is noticeably slower and consumes much more CPU than with any Intel driver, so I must have a working Intel driver installed somehow to keep my notebook useful

Intel, please help ! ;(

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Pavel Myshkin:

Thank you for providing this information to us.

Regarding the driver support for OEM devices, it is recommended to get the drivers directly from the manufacturer of the device.

The reason behind this would be that they may have special settings or features related to the graphics driver, and using the drivers from Intel may have issues with those features.

I am in Joe's site regarding the hardware failure, you changed the thermal paste and it started working fine and after a while it started again, for that reason it may be a CPU/hardware issue.

Have you tried using the drivers directly from the manufacturer's site?

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
PMysh
Novice

Yes, I have tried a range of drivers directly from Sony support. All had the same effect.

Now I went to reapply the thermal paste again and took photos of the CPU, heat sink and the state of the thermal paste after removing the heatsink.

I suspect now that maybe there is flaw with Sony's flexible design for thin laptops, which causes warping or shifting of the heatsink on the CPU and southbridge.I guess the 'dry' lower part of the CPu is where the graphical part is located and overheats or something...

What should I do? I have reapplied the thermal paste at least 4 times by now.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello:

Please make sure the thermal paste being applied is high quality, also you could look for overheating solutions for your laptop model.

There are stands with fans that help with the cooling of laptops which could assist the issue.

Also, have you tried using an external display? This could also be an issue with the screen.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos