14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2015 1:11 PM by geniuwork

malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error

geniuwork

prejudice are a new member of this forum, I apologize for the language but I'm using a translator.
      my problem is that I bought at the fair maker of Rome of 2014 intel edison.Ho run the firmware update for the first time and all was bene.Ho tried wifi, configured SSH and everything ok. Now it is a bit that when launching the command configure_edison --setup
      root @ localhost: ~ # configure_edison --setup

Configure Edison: Device Name

Give this Edison a unique name.
      This will be used for the access point SSID and mDNS address.
      Make it at least five characters long (leave empty to skip): genius
      Is genius correct? [Y or N]: y

Traceback (most recent call last):
         File "/ usr / bin / configure_edison", line 1006, in <module>
           main ()
         File "/ usr / bin / configure_edison", line 911, in main
           full ()
         File "/ usr / bin / configure_edison", line 811, in full
           setEdisonHostname ()
         File "/ usr / bin / configure_edison", line 241, in setEdisonHostname
           changename (name)
         File "/ usr / bin / configure_edison", line 175, in changename
           _changeHostName (newName)
         File "/ usr / bin / configure_edison", line 181, in _changeHostName
           hostname_file.close ();
      IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device
      root @ localhost: ~ #
      ************************************************** *******************************
      Nothing to do ...
      I tried to connect to the wifi thing that used to work with the command configure_edison --wifi

root @ localhost: ~ # configure_edison --wifi

Configure Edison: WiFi Connection

Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null) error: No such file or directory
      Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null) error: No such file or directory

0: Rescan for networks
      1: Manually input a hidden SSID

Enter 0 to rescan for networks.
      Enter one input to a hidden network SSID:

I did a check on the devices with ifconfig and all seems ok ...

************************************************** ***************************
      root @ localhost: ~ # ifconfig
      lo Link encap: Local Loopback
                 inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
                 inet6 addr: :: 1/128 Scope: Host
                 UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 65536 Metric: 1
                 RX packets: 320 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
                 TX packets: 320 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier: 0
                 collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 0
                 RX bytes: 24320 (23.7 KiB) TX bytes: 24320 (23.7 KiB)

usb0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr b6: cd: c8: 96: ce: 85
                 inet addr: 10.23.154.13 Bcast: 10.255.255.255 Mask: 255.0.0.0
                 inet6 addr: fe80 :: b4cd: c8ff: fe96: ce85 / 64 Scope: Link
                 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU: 1500 Metric: 1
                 RX packets: 241 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
                 TX packets: 36 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier: 0
                 collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 1000
                 RX bytes: 33875 (33.0 KiB) TX bytes: 8287 (8.0 KiB)

************************************************** *************************

I tried to reflash edison copying the files on the drive that you create e: \ edison and then either reboot with root ota
      that blocking edison startup and running the command run_do flash
      but nothing to do reboots everything right but do not think you really make a flash device ....
      help ....
      thanks to all............

• 1. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
          Andre.M

IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device

please post the output of df -h

• 2. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
            geniuwork

tanks very commandthank you very much for your prompt reply I launched the command df-h... how do I free up space

*********************************************************************

root@localhost:~# df -h
            Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
            /dev/root               463.9M    453.7M         0 100% /
            devtmpfs                480.2M         0    480.2M   0% /dev
            tmpfs                   480.5M         0    480.5M   0% /dev/shm
            tmpfs                   480.5M      6.5M    474.0M   1% /run
            tmpfs                   480.5M         0    480.5M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
            tmpfs                   480.5M      6.5M    474.0M   1% /etc/machine-id
            [ 1793.034519] systemd-fsck[265]: dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
            [ 1793.036974] systemd-fsck[265]: /dev/mmcblk0p7: 5 files, 2592/2819 clusters
            systemd-1                 5.5M      5.1M    454.0K  92% /boot
            tmpfs                   480.5M      4.0K    480.5M   0% /tmp
            systemd-1                 2.2G     73.4M      2.1G   3% /home
            tmpfs                   480.5M         0    480.5M   0% /var/volatile
            /dev/mmcblk0p5         1003.0K     21.0K    911.0K   2% /factory
            /dev/mmcblk0p10           2.2G     73.4M      2.1G   3% /home
            /dev/mmcblk0p7            5.5M      5.1M    454.0K  92% /boot
            root@localhost:~#

• 3. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
              Andre.M

remove packages you have installed or cleanup your logs

a flashed default edison image would "only" use ~85% of your root partition

not sure how familiar you are with linux...

• 4. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
                geniuwork

I apologize but I am just beginning to study and I'm trying to find the commands linux until now I used DOS I could kindly help to restart edison? and if not too much to ask, where can I find a list of commands linux? thanks so much for your kindness

• 5. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
                  Andre.M

/sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin or google|bing...

linux for newbies - Bing

whats the output of journalctl --disk-usage ?

• 6. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
                    geniuwork

journals take up 6.0M on disk

• 7. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
                      Andre.M

so if you run rm -rf /var/log/journal/* you have 6mb freed and your script should run (even if 6mb of journal  logs are not much...)

based on your full / i assume you have additional packages installed?

the size of your / partition is a bit small and you cant install many packages so for the future i would recommend you create your own partition layout, you find more informations in intel edisons board support package user guide to setup a yocto build system and the files you need to change with a forum search

• 8. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
                        geniuwork

thank you, thank you, it works now I installed long ago to try read on forums node red, I could not use, how can I uninstall? thanks again for the availability and pasienza

• 9. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
                          Andre.M

how did you installed that package?

with opkg install "whatever" than opkg remove "whatever"

• 10. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
                            geniuwork

command configure_edison - setup works changed me user name and password but when does the search for the wifi I jump off this command ..... but if I tried to reflash edison not cancellerei everything and recupererei disk space

Configure Edison: WiFi Connection

Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null)  error: No such file or directory
                            Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null)  error: No such file or directory

0 :     Rescan for networks
                            1 :     Manually input a hidden SSID

Enter 0 to rescan for networks.
                            Enter 1 to input a hidden network SSID:

• 11. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
                              Andre.M

i would recommend you start from a defined system state and flash your edison with intel edisons firmware and dfu-util

afterwards you have a default defined system state

or you prefer forum ping/pong which would make things very complicated

howevewr you should know a default edison image does not let you install much software packages based on partition size, journald default settings, no logrotate installed

that means if you install again packages you must configure at least journald, if not your root will automatically again run out of space, its only a question of time when that will happen

or in other words, to me it looks like edisons default image is designed to only work with arduino/ide but not designed to install additional packages (of course it depends on the package and the linux knowledge of root) if you need to install additional packages you need to calculate the needed diskspace and in most cases change your partition layout

• 12. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
                                geniuwork

how  to use dfu-util ?

and why can not I connect with wifi?

df -h

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/root               463.9M    304.7M    123.4M  71% /

devtmpfs                480.2M         0    480.2M   0% /dev

tmpfs                   480.5M         0    480.5M   0% /dev/shm

tmpfs                   480.5M    492.0K    480.0M   0% /run

tmpfs                   480.5M         0    480.5M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

tmpfs                   480.5M    492.0K    480.0M   0% /etc/machine-id

[  878.432811] systemd-fsck[264]: dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN

[  878.434583] systemd-fsck[264]: /dev/mmcblk0p7: 5 files, 2592/2819 clusters

systemd-1                 5.5M      5.1M    454.0K  92% /boot

tmpfs                   480.5M      4.0K    480.5M   0% /tmp

systemd-1                 2.2G     73.4M      2.1G   3% /home

tmpfs                   480.5M         0    480.5M 

• 13. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
                                  Andre.M

depending on the os, on windows download dfu-util and store it in the same folder on your disk where you have extracted the fimware files, search for dfu-util in the forum where you will also find what you need to edit in flashall.bat to not have to install additional software to flash your device

dont know why you are not able to connect to wifi, you had a linux system running out of space on the root partition what is never a good idea and based on your "no such file or directory" messages may be you deleted important files

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: malfunction edison and command "configure_edison --setup" error
                                    geniuwork

Mr. Andre friendly thank you so much for the valuable advice and I'll post the availability now to study the link that gave me.