5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 2:20 AM by Apachez

Intel NUC in a VMWare Environment

DonEscobar

Hello Guys

I've got a question. Is it possible to integrate a Intel NUC into a VMWare View Environment? I wish i could configure the NUC as a Thin Client. So the NUC starts and connects to the VDI and gets the Desktop and all the Data from the VMWare Server, is that possible?

• 1. Re: Intel NUC in a VMWare Environment
          Apachez

I think it should work as long as you have something to boot to and the proper client software to use.

I think Thinstation should fit your needs. Can boot from iso and pxe etc (that is no harddrive is needed in your NUC). There is also a devkit named Devstation which can be used to create custom iso/pxe-images:

Thinstation by Donald A. Cupp Jr.

Other options (if you just need a webbrowser) could be to use Webconverger which is also a livecd:

http://webconverger.com/

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel NUC in a VMWare Environment
            DonEscobar

Hi

Thank for your helpful answer. I know Thinstation and Devstation. But the NUCs have got no Harddisk, is that right? So how can I build the connection to the VMWare Server with no Harddisk? Boot from an USB Stick with THinstation is no option for me. Is there a little OS maybe with a webbrowser or a VMware View Client on the NUCs to connect to the Server?

• 3. Re: Intel NUC in a VMWare Environment
              Apachez

Having a harddrive on the client is optional, but since none is needed you can run the client NUC without one and boot from cd/dvd, usb or over network (pxe) instead.

Thinsstation have a full iso available as live-cd (https://sourceforge.net/projects/thinstation/files/LiveCD/TS-Multiclient-Desktop-LiveCD-Demo.iso), the custom ones is only needed if you want to change something on the live-cd Thinstation provides (and if so the Devstaiton can be installed on another computer having a harddrive, or as a virtual guest using Virtualbox or VMware).

If you just need a webbrowser live-cd then I would go for Webconverger.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Intel NUC in a VMWare Environment
                DonEscobar

So it is possible to set up a Virtual Machine on VMWare and if the client starts it will boot over network from the Vmware environment? Is that possible?

Because the solution will be for 200+ people and they can't boot all from the usb stick.

For me the two options are a harddisk (more costs) or to boot over network.

What do you think?

• 5. Re: Intel NUC in a VMWare Environment
                  Apachez

Ok lets recap...

Thinstation (that TS-Multiclient-Desktop-LiveCD-Demo.iso) is the stuff that should be runned (booted from) on the workstation you want to use as a terminal client.

Normally such terminal clients run without harddrive (since none is needed) and boots from CD/DVD or USB or PXE (over network).

Having that said the Thinstation can of course also be runned from within VMware and/or VirtualBox.

That LiveCD-Demo is a complete set of tools where in your case you perhaps only need the RDP-client and not the other stuff. If so then you can download and install Devstation on a separate box (or in VMware/VirtualBox) in order to create your own set of custom ISO-files to be used.

The Devstation server can also be used as host for PXE booting to function.

For more information see here:

https://github.com/Thinstation/thinstation/wiki/FAQ

Q&A · Thinstation/thinstation Wiki · GitHub