1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 2:09 PM by Mgear

[bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS

fanformusik

I am using my DN2820FYKH side by side with a Philips Flatscreen TV. Since the DN2820 reacts to the Philips' IR remote control (they obviously share the "on/off" code), I deactivated the NUC's consumer IR interface in the BIOS (vers. 0047).

But the NUC still comes on when the Philips' on/off button is pressed. I think that's wrong.

Any plans for correcting that?

• 1. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
          Apachez

How are your other bios settings regarding wake from lan, wake from usb etc?

• 2. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
            fanformusik

BIOS>BOOT>BOOT DEVICES:

USB + Optical enabled, all others disabled

BIOS>POWER>SECONDARY POWER SETTINGS:

all enabled, except

Intel Smart Connect Technology: disabled

Wake System from S5: disabled

I could reproduce the effect with my Standard "Media Center" IR remote control, that I use for the NUC.

• 3. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
              lhill

Hi all,

I easily reproduced this issue - will submit it to the engineering team.

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 4. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
                fanformusik

Thanks. I'll wait for an updated BIOS then.

• 5. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
                  lhill

Hi again,

I just checked out a test BIOS that fixes the problem - if Consumer Infrared is disabled in BIOS, the remote control DOES NOT turn on the NUC. This fix will be rolled into the next production release.

Lois

Intel

• 6. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
                    Apachez

Lhill: Any estimate on when the fixed bioses will be out in public?

Do intel have a specific release cycle regarding BIOSes being published on Intels homepage (im thinking within a week, month, quarter, half year)?

• 7. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
                      lhill

Hi Apachez,

For this issue, could be as early as next week. The BIOS engineering team does not actually adhere to any specific cadence for BIOS releases. It all depends on specific issues that are under investigation.

Lois

• 8. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
                        Dengar

Hi Loïs,

Does this mean that consumer IR will not be available at all or only for power on/off.

Because i would like to keep using my IR remote (Harmony One) and when the "solution" is to disable IR you actually didn't fix the problem.

Thank you,

Gerard

• 9. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
                          wockhu

HI Lois,

I'm a bit surprised that Intel will not fix this issue.  I'm also using  the NUC DN2820FYKH  and I'm  very disapointed  that I cannot use the combination of a Philips TV,  My Harmony touch,  and  the NUC.

When Intel will make it possible in the BIOS  to dissable the IR function  for on and, of, it will  not be  possible anymore to turn the NUC on or of by remote control;. This is not a professional solution but it will go around the real problem!

What I think you should do is change the IR signal codes for on and of so that they are different from Philips! I think that Intel should have checked the IR receiver before the NUC was produced. Philips TV's are not a surrise I guess. They exist longer than the NUC.

I'm waiting for your quick solution.

Kind regards,

JW

• 10. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
                            lhill

Hi all,

Apologies for the confusion. The original report in this thread was: "I deactivated the NUC's consumer IR interface in the BIOS (vers. 0047). But the NUC still comes on when the Philips' on/off button is pressed.". I took that to mean that the poster disabled CIR entirely in BIOS, but the remote then still woke up the NUC, which was easily reproducible. A fix is coming for that.

It appears that this question has morphed into a somewhat different request. You want the remote to NOT wake up the NUC but still be available in the OS, right? That way, if you are just wanting to use the remote with your TV only, it doesn't do anything with the NUC if the NUC is not on. This makes complete sense. I'll submit a request to engineering to add an option in the Power menu in BIOS to disable/enable 'Wake from CIR'.

Lois

• 11. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
                              Dengar

Hi Lois,

Thank you for your quick response.

That would be a better solution, because the problem now is that Philips and Intel share the same on/off IR code and so the problem is that when i turn on the TV the NUC also comes alive.

When i want to listen to music on the NUC and turn of my TV the NUC also receives the off code and shuts down.

I thought that was a part of the problem in the first post by fanformusik.

So to disable "wake on CIR" would make sense.

Thank you :-)

Gerard

• 12. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
                                dougho

Be careful of the terminology.  To me, "Wake" from CIR means coming back from standby/sleep - something typically controlled by device driver of an OS.  The new "feature" that NUC seems to have added is more like "Power on" from CIR - something unrelated to device driver, which could not be disabled.  As I have mentioned in various threads, such Power on feature seems to be happening not only from a RC-6 Power button, but also from the RC-6 PAUSE button (weird).  I have also mentioned that it seems to Power on from any RC-6 remote ID (such as 1 or 8) rather than being able to restrict to some specific remote ID (such as 1 or 8).  Feel free to ask me if anything is unclear.  (I realize this thread mentions Philip TV remote - I have no experience with it, for example whether it is some unintended result like the PAUSE button I describe).

• 13. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
                                  lhill

Hi all,

I have an update from BIOS engineering. For all NUCs that have CIR, they plan to add two new options under the Power menu in BIOS: one to enable/disable Wake from CIR from S3 (sleep) and one to enable/disable Wake from CIR from S4/S5 (hibernate/off).

It is likely to take several weeks before we see these settings (they have to be coded and validated), so keep an eye on the release notes as new BIOS versions get posted to Download Center.

Lois

• 14. Re: [bug] DN2820FYKH will not deactivate IR in BIOS
                                    Dengar

Thank you , i'll b looking forward for the new BIOS

1 2 Previous Next