1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 2:06 PM by sylvia_intel

Problem when connecting second monitor via DVI-Cat5e-extender

mfdk

I have a brand new D54250WYK running Windows 7 Prof. w/SP1 and all updates.

First monitor is connected as this: Mini HDMI-out -> Mini HDMI-vga adapter cable -> vga-DVI-I adapter -> DVI-I cable to the monitor.

Second monitor is connected as this: Mini DisplayPort-out -> Mini DisplayPort-DVI-I adapter cable -> DVI-D-Cat5e-extender -> Cat5e cable -> Cat5e-DVI-D-extender -> DVI-D-in on the monitor.

The result is that both monitors "wakes up" thus gets a signal. BUT they are all black/blank.

If I take the DVI-Cat5e-extenders out of the chain, then all is fine, thus the chain for the second monitor as this: Mini DisplayPort-out -> Mini DisplayPort-DVI-I adapter cable -> DVI-D-cable -> DVI-D-in on the monitor.

I've read through the fora about similar problems with dual monitor setups. But nothing exactly like this.

And yes, I would like to avoid all these adapters and/or extenders, but can't see any other way. I need it to work with the monitors that I have.

Also wondering wether a BIOS upgrade is the solution. The version on my brand new piece is 0021 (WYLPT10H.86A.0021.2013.1017.1606) and latest version is 0033. Everything else seems to be working fine, so I would not like to do an upgrade, if it isn't necessary.

* Anyone else who had this exactly problem? Anyone fixed it?

* Any hope that a BIOS upgrade will fix this problem (and not introducing other problems)?

* Can I upgrade BIOS directly from version 0021 to 0033 (latest version)?

Thx

• 1. Re: Problem when connecting second monitor via DVI-Cat5e-extender
          sylvia_intel

Hello Mfdk,

It seems that you are using cables or adapters that are not being recognized on your system.

The use of adapters for different technologies may result on unpredictable behaviors. That is the reason why we highly recommend the use straight connections.

Also keep in mind that most of the time the adapters are from different manufactures and makes it more difficult.

Again, I would recommend you to try straight connection, maybe using somebody else monitor and report back.

We have 2 monitors connected to a D54250WYK NUC and it is working just fine, but we are using straight connection to the HDMI port and Display port outputs.

Regards,