6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 5:34 PM by EmanuelFal

How to get back from IRST-created RAID to IDE?

EmanuelFal

Hello,

I have an HP Z800 Workstation with a 1.5TB HDD running Win7Pro-64. I've been using a 128GB SSD cache (Synapse/Dataplex) for about a year with no trouble, but thought that IRST would do a better job, for writing in particular. So I installed IRST... and run into touble.

IRST put the two disks into a RAID... but since the disks are not the same geometry, and I appear to have an old chipset, it never actually worked: IRST was unable to create a cache (i.e. to accelerate the HDD with the SSD) and the SSD became useless, as its Dataplex conroller clashed with the RAID.

In short, I would like to GET RID of the RAID (in view to replace the HDD by an SSD altogether)... but that appears to be impossible: I uninstalled RST and followed the "removdrv.txt" advice to switch (back) from RAID to IDE in the machine Setup... but Windows BSODs unless I keep the RAID. Yes, I tried all and every "Repair" options Win7 could offer.

So my question is: how can I get rid of the (useless) RAID and get back to IDE? Important: since the RAID never actually worked, ALL the data are still on the HDD in all integrity - proof: I took the SSD out of the machine and it still works fine. The HDD is fine, with all data there - surely it must be possible to access it via IDE rather than RAID?

Many thanks for your advice!

• 1. Re: How to get back from IRST-created RAID to IDE?
          joe_intel

It should only be necessary to open Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software, click the Accelerate tab, click Stop Acceleration, and click Reset to available.

Chipset Software — Intel® Smart Response Technology User Guide

It is expected to get a Blue Screen of Death when you change the SATA controller from RAID to IDE or vice versa, because the operating system was installed in that mode. You may need to reinstall the operating system if you really want to change the SATA controller mode in BIOS.

However, it is possible to delete a RAID volume connected to an Intel® Chipset by pressing CTRL + I during POST (before operating system starts booting) and select Reset Disks to non-RAID in the RAID BIOS or RAID option ROM. No data loss is expected but it is advised to create a backup.

• 2. Re: How to get back from IRST-created RAID to IDE?
            EmanuelFal

Hi joe_intel,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it's of no help / not applicable to me, for the following reasons:

- there was no Accelerate button/tab in the IRST GUI, ever (which is why the cache never worked, I guess). But the GUI did show the SSD and I did set it to "Available"

- the OS was certainly not installed in RAID mode - the RAID only appeared with my installation of IRST, i.e. IRST set up the RAID after years of that machine's running in IDE

- Ctrl-I during POST does nothing: no RAID BIOS or RAID option ROM appears, the boot happily starts Windows without stopping.

In short: IRST installed a useless RAID on my machine, probably because the machine's chipset doesn't support it. I think that the IRST installer should have detected the condition and simply not install at all - but in any case, I want to get rid of it now, and I'd find it inconceivable that the only way of getting rid of it would be a complete reinstall of the OS from scratch?? That would really be reckless on part of IRST.

Here is what Device Manager reports:

DevManRAID.png

DevManRAIDProperties.png

- could you suggest any other way of dropping the RAID and revert to IDE? Like "Uninstall the driver", maybe??

Many thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: How to get back from IRST-created RAID to IDE?
              joe_intel

Did you change the SATA controller mode to RAID in your system BIOS when you tried to use Intel® Rapid Storage Technology? If the answer is no, your system should not have a RAID volume created.

It seems that the operating system became corrupted. You may want to restore your system to a previous date before Intel® Rapid Storage Technology was installed.

• 4. Re: How to get back from IRST-created RAID to IDE?
                EmanuelFal

> Did you change the SATA controller mode to RAID in your system BIOS when you tried to use Intel® Rapid Storage Technology? If the answer is no, your system should not have a RAID volume created.

No, I did not set a RAID myself (never even thought of setting one up!) - I was flabbergasted when it appeared on my machine after the IRST installation.

>It seems that the operating system became corrupted. You may want to restore your system to a previous date before Intel® Rapid Storage Technology was installed.

Of course I tried that, to no avail: going back enough in time, the restore uninstalled not only IRST's GUI, but also applications that were installed before IRST... but the disk nevertheless stayed "Controlled by RAID" 8-O.  And when I subsequently tried to switch to IDE in the machine Setup (POST, as suggested by the "removdrv.txt" document), the result was BSOD during Windows startup - only switching back to RAID in POST made Windows start again properly (as I explained in my original post).

I do not think the OS is "corrupted", because everything else works just fine (and every disk check turns out ok). But anyway, I have now successfully moved the contents of my HDD to a 512GB SSD (including the bootable OS), and have the two disks working fine in the machine. They are both still controlled by the RAID (given that I can't get rid of it), but it doesn't seem to be doing any harm, so switching to IDE became a moot issue - I'll simply keep the RAID, hoping it will be ok in the future.

But still: not being able to undo IRST's fiddling with my machine without a total reinstall of everything looks extremely inelegant to me.

Thank you for your help!

• 5. Re: How to get back from IRST-created RAID to IDE?
                  joe_intel

It may not be the solution for your issue but you may certainly take a look at this:

Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive

• 6. Re: How to get back from IRST-created RAID to IDE?
                    EmanuelFal

Thank you for your followup, joe. Unfortunately, I already did the Registry modification to "Start 0" - but still got the same Windows startup BSOD after switching from RAID back to IDE. It's pretty mysterious... but as I said, the machine is now doing what I wanted, so I'll leave it as it is.