3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2015 3:26 PM by Apachez

D54250WYK PXE-E61: media test failure check cable

kelavine

Last night I worked to setup PXE boot for Clonezilla Live CD.  Took several hours getting the configuration correct, duriing which time I rebooted the NUC and got an IP address from my DHCP server.

Finally got the PXE configure correct and perform a Clonezilla disk backup of my NUC, Everything were correct.  When I rebooted to attempt the Clonezilla backup again, I get a "PXE-E61: media test failure check cable" error message when I do an Network boot.  I did not touch anything (network cable, NUC).

I rebooted the NUC to it's OS and and checked that I have network connectivity; and it works fine.

I must have done more than a dozen PXE boots while working on this with no problem.  Any ideas on what else to check?

The NUC is on it's original BIOS (028).

Thanks

• 1. Re: D54250WYK PXE-E61: media test failure check cable
          Apachez

According to Google it could be any of:

1) Failing SATA-cable, try another one and see if that fixes your problems.

2) Failing harddrive, try replacing it (if you got a spare) and see if that solves it.

3) Failing SSD firmware, for example Intel 530 seems to have issues where an SSD firmware update might solve the issue.

• 2. Re: D54250WYK PXE-E61: media test failure check cable
            kelavine

1) Using mSATA drive in NUC, so no cable.

2) Possible, although I'm not seeing any failure indicators while running NUC's OS

3) Went through the firmware update process for the mSATA drive and it was already up to date.

Did a BIOS update of the NUC to 0033 and that seems to have resolved the issue.  Not sure why it stopped working after more than a dozen successful PXE boots.

• 3. Re: D54250WYK PXE-E61: media test failure check cable
              Apachez

A wild guess if this problem returns, could it be related to https://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/AC9C0719-A458-4D4C-A9DE-F7F24375D169/PCN113335-00.pdf ?

Description of Change to the Customer:

A resistor value on the SATA Hard Disk Drive Daughter Card will be changed from 2K ohms to 1.5K ohms to increase drive strength.

Im thinking if your issue (even if its not directly related to above) could be related to PXE failing after a couple of successful boots. Something to test if this reappears is if this "counter" of successful boots resets if you make your NUC completely powerless (unplugg the PSU and wait for a minute or so before reconnecting it) compared to if its just rebooted.

That is if you make your NUC completely powerless the PXE boot will work but not if you just reboot the NUC.