Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Touching the back of an i5-4690K - Can I still install this and guarantee it'll work?

MTour3
Beginner

Hand contact has been made with the back of my i5-4690K processor.

Long story short

... so after touching it multiple times (Including the center, the gold plates, literally everything), and having it set on the table contact-side down, is it actually going to affect my processor? Is it critical to clean it with 90% (or more) isopropyl alcohol? What happens if I don't clean it? Am I going to have to buy a new one?

Before any criticism about being an idiot for touching the back of the CPU, here's what happened:

This is my first time building a PC myself, I bought all my parts in intent to build a powerful gaming PC, everything is compatible. Also, just a quick disclaimer, I do know how to build a computer, I'm not just expecting to throw a couple things together and let magic do the rest. Anyway, I actually didn't know that the processor I had was a pinless processor (Meaning there are no pins on the bottom, instead the pins are on the CPU socket) So I place my CPU in the socket of the motherboard, and try to lock it in. My mistake here was: I pushed down the arm before the plate, when I was supposed to do it in the opposite order, now this doesn't mess up the CPU or anything, it just doesn't close. I pick up the CPU again to re-assure I'm not doing anything wrong, and I look at the bottom of the processor. I freak out, get a boost in heart rate and yelp when I found out that there are no pins on my processor! At this point, I thought I had broken it, since I was a bunch of pins on my socket! (Which I was stupid enough not to realize that this is how it was in the first place) I also happened to think that the pins on the socket were bent! So I try to unbend them, in hope of getting the CPU to sit on the pins instead, (not knowing that I was doing the opposite of 'unbending') then I gave up because of how flexible the pins were, and that there were so many of them, and I can't possibly get it right without frying all my components somehow! At this point, I felt that the motherboard was useless now, since at the time I thought there were a bunch of pins stuck in my CPU socket and that I can no longer recover my board, and that my CPU was also done for, so I was less careful with it, and I was touching the bottom, were all the golden receptors were, so after touching it multiple times (Including the center, the gold plates, literally everything), and having it set on the table contact-side down, is it actually going to affect my processor? Is it critical to clean it with 90% (or more) isopropyl alcohol? What happens if I don't clean it? Am I going to have to buy a new one?

I did my own research, I got way too much variation, almost as much variation as questions that are about religion! I need a solid, clear answer (or answers!) that will tell me whether or not to buy a new processor

Also, I do realize that by bending my pins on the motherboard, I'm going to have to get a new one, which is why a replacement is now on the way.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Adept, thanks a lot for posting your inquire at Intel communities.

It is not a mistake to touch the back of the processor (where the markings are) however I would like to see some pictures before giving you any other advice.

It is important to know that the only way to find out if the processor is or not defective will be by installing it on the motherboard, so you will have to wait for the replacement motherboard to arrived.

We have some articles that will show you the correct way to install the processor. http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/sockethfinallayout.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/sockethfinallayout.pdf

Regards,