7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 3:44 AM by egorf

Bulk programming?

mpapini

So I'm moving out of the tinker stage and into preproduction, and I was wondering what, if any tools exist to do the bulk programming of Edison boards?

I'm used to doing embedded stuff and have access to anything you can possibly imagine to actually do the programming, but can any of the Intel people share what Intel does? Any experience in the matter that can be shared would be appreciated?  Should I design a board that hosts a number of Edison boards to work with a gang JTAG? 

If I need to do something dramatic in the deployment process, now is the time to find out - labor costs of individually programming each board could kill the cost model that I have ... Ideas?

I suppose I should have thought of this sooner, but I guess I didn't expect to get this far this quickly.

Thanks - Mario

• 1. Re: Bulk programming?
          CMata_Intel

Hi mpapini

The "board that hosts a number of Edison boards to work with a gang JTAG" sounds like a good idea, but just like a hub you could have problems in the current distribution for the devices. What kind of project are you trying to get in the Edison Board? Do you want to add in the board, a sketch from the IDE, a script or something else? Maybe an image with all the packages that you need in order to just add the final script in the boards, or creating an executable and download it from Internet. I'm guessing that you will need the same code in all the boards or not?

Regards;

CMata

• 2. Re: Bulk programming?
            mpapini

Sorry. I was rather light on details.

The Edison is part of an embedded consumer device that won't typically have access to the internet.  Software-wise it's pretty much a full custom image (kernel mods, modified scripts, new scripts and new executables).

The objective is either production flash the boards or have them start in a "controlled environment" and grab the image themselves off of a server, download and reconfigure themselves.

What do you do at Intel to get the image on?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Bulk programming?
              jblackston

I'm in the same boat. I'm wrapping up testing phase of our product and in a few months we will probably begin shipping and I need a clean and fast way to program 5k+ boards with our latest firmware and programs.

• 4. Re: Bulk programming?
                mhahn

mpapini wrote:

Sorry. I was rather light on details.

The Edison is part of an embedded consumer device that won't typically have access to the internet.  Software-wise it's pretty much a full custom image (kernel mods, modified scripts, new scripts and new executables).

The objective is either production flash the boards or have them start in a "controlled environment" and grab the image themselves off of a server, download and reconfigure themselves.

What do you do at Intel to get the image on?

Thanks.

you might want to build your own ext4 "production image"

E.G.:

Grab "Edison Yocto complete image" from Edison - Software Downloads, mount & modify the ext4 image contained in there.

Afterwards you may OTA upgrade or run "flashall" resp your "production image"

• 5. Re: Bulk programming?
                  mpapini

Thanks for your suggestion.  I do, in fact have a custom image, but once I have it, how does one go about loading it on many Edison boards without spending too much on labor costs?

The issue is: now that I have my image how does one push it onto many boards?  I'm thinking the gang JTAG route might be the best.  Unless of course Intel built something particularly clever into the unit.

Mario.

• 6. Re: Bulk programming?
                    mhahn

just using standard flash methods. In the past when I had to flash dozens of Edisons in a bulk I used "flashall script" method and several Linux boxes. Per hour 1 person can do about 40 Edisons that way in my experience.

• 7. Re: Bulk programming?
                      egorf

Hello!

I am currently going through the same process. I want to build a ready-to-go image with all necessary software installed, settings tweaked, user rights set up. Mounting the ext4 part of the image seems like a good and easy solution. However, I have a problem with that. I am using Ubilinux, which comes with the same flashall script you can find on the official yocto image. When I run the yocto flashall script, it overwrites the mmcblk0p10 device and mounts it as the home partition. But the Ubilinux script does not do this. How can I edit the script so that any modifications in the home directory in the mounted image end up on the Edison after the firmware upgrade?
                      Thank you!