5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 11:02 AM by kevin_intel

BIOS reports "settings have changed"

ishay

I have a NUC D54250WYK.

Sometimes, when the NUC is running the BIOS sequence, it displays a message saying that some settings have changed in the BIOS, and prompts the user to press "Y" to enter the BIOS or "N" to continue.

I never understood what triggers the BIOS to change its settings; (my only guess is that the BIOS may change the boot drive order - when the bootable disk-on-key is removed from USB port, but I'm not sure).

My NUC-based system has no keyboard (only a touch-screen), and therefore this situation puts the user in a dead-end state, leaving the only choice to send the system for repair.

1. Is it possible to “lock” the BIOS settings so they are never overridden (i.e. make them read-only) ?

2. Is there a way to make the BIOS bypass that question (and consequently not prompt the user for "Y/N") ?

My BIOS version  is 33 (latest release as of Jan 8th 2015)

• 1. Re: BIOS reports "settings have changed"
          kevin_intel

Hello ishay,

Please note that this notification message appears when there is a hardware change so the user will be notified.

This could be caused by something on your NUC that is sometimes being recognized and sometimes not so I would recommend you checking all components are set correctly.

Another step you can take is testing other hardware on the system.

I personally have tested this model from my side and I am not having this issue. I tested it with keyboard and without it and its working fine so there must be something on your hardware causing this.

What happens if there is a keyboard connected to the NUC? Same thing?

Kevin M

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: BIOS reports "settings have changed"
            ishay

Thanks Kevin,

The hardware connected to the NUC was set a few weeks ago, and does not change.

I start to suspect another possibility: 6 devices are connected to the NUC via its (onboard and panel) USB ports; I suspect that the NUC is unable to provide all 6 devices with power all at once during startup. Could that cause the NUC "think" that its settings have changed ?

As to your question "what happens if there is a keyboard connected ?" - same problem.

- Ishay

• 3. Re: BIOS reports "settings have changed"
              kevin_intel

This could be the cause of failure. What type of devices are connected to the USBs? Are these just normal USB flash Drives?

Kevin M

• 4. Re: BIOS reports "settings have changed"
                ishay

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your interest :-)

The USB devices are:

- mouse & keyboard,

- three 3rd-party hardware units (a digital ultrasound, a 3D position tracker, a frame grabber),

- and a touch-screen ("touch" data is sent over a USB cable).

Could it be that during BIOS startup, some USB device are not "granted" power (because they require more than what the NUC can supply), and consequently the BIOS thinks that its settings have changed ?

The exact message the BIOS is displaying is:

BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s).

Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS

Performance Options or recent hardware change.

Press 'Y' to enter Setup or 'N' to cancel and attempt

to boot with previous settings.

Is it possible to know what caused the BIOS to display this message ?

Is it possible to make the BIOS bypass this test ?

The systems we sell have no keyboard - just a touch screen.

• 5. Re: BIOS reports "settings have changed"
                  kevin_intel

Depending on the USB device it may require more power provided by the NUC. I am afraid to say that is not possible to skip this step because the BIOS Post is in charge of recognizing, verifying and loading all components so that the system can start fine. This message appears when something changed on the computer configuration.

What if you try without any USB devices connected to the system? Are you still getting the same issue?

Kevin M