3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 1:44 PM by sylvia_intel

CPU Upgrades

Hello All,

With the release or upcoming release of desktop/server Broadwell CPUs, will I be able to upgrade a September 2013 Mac Pro with either a Broadwell i7 or a Broadwell-E?  I am wondering whether I should wait for a new Mac Pro with built in Broadwell CPU, at the cost of my first born or for a lower price of just my left arm, or buy a refurbished Mac Pro now and upgrade it later.

Thanks for your comments.

okayson (newbie)

• 1. Re: CPU Upgrades

Hello Okayson, thanks for joining the processor community.

I’m afraid to inform you that upgrading older systems to a Broadwell processor is not going to be possible.

The reason is because all Broadwell processors are in the BGA package, which means that they will be soldered to the motherboard. 

• 2. Re: CPU Upgrades

Thanks for the prompt response.  I would just like to clarify that I am
            talking about desktop systems, not laptop systems.  I was referring to
            upgrading the Mac Pro (cylindrical desktop), which like most desktops I
            know come with upgradeable CPUs.  Are you saying that starting with
            Broadwell, there will be no upgrade for desktops?

• 3. Re: CPU Upgrades

No Okayson, future products will come in socketed versions, but compatibility with older sockets and motherboards have not been announced.