7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 2:34 AM by mhahn

ftdi_sio drivers

Luis_Bucanero

Hi. I´m trying to install a fstdio driver. but when i make the install i have this error.

gcc -Wall -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison-ww42+/build/include -I/usr/src/linux-3.10.17-poky-edison-ww42+/drivers/usb/serial/ -O   -c -o ftdi_sio.o ftdi_sio.c

ftdi_sio.c:253:24: fatal error: linux/init.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

make: *** [ftdi_sio.o] Error 1

I think i need the headers i read someothers forums but no one can solved.

Can you help me??

• 1. Re: ftdi_sio drivers
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi Luis_Bucanero,

Where are you getting this error? Could you attach a screenshot and describe the process you followed for this?

Regards,
          JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: ftdi_sio drivers
            Luis_Bucanero

I´m trying to install the driver of Virtual COM Port Drivers to use a rs232 module for amplification.

I unzip the file and try to do the make but when i try i have this error. I dont know where i must install it because I see i need the headers.

That is the error:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

root@ubilinux:/usr/games/ftdi_sio# ls

ftdi_sio.c  ftdi_sio.h  Makefile  Rules.make

root@ubilinux:/usr/games/ftdi_sio# make

gcc -Wall -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison-ww42+/build/include -I/usr/src/linux-3.10.17-poky-edison-ww42+/drivers/usb/serial/ -O   -c -o ftdi_sio.o ftdi_sio.c

ftdi_sio.c:253:24: fatal error: linux/init.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

make: *** [ftdi_sio.o] Error 1

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

• 3. Re: ftdi_sio drivers
              Andre.M

may be because edison use systemd and not systemv...

• 4. Re: ftdi_sio drivers
                AlexT_Intel

Hi Luis,

Unless your goal is to try building stuff, I'd just suggest you to use my repo and install ftdi_sio from there. Configuration instructions are here: Edison Package Repo Configuration Instructions, the package name is kernel-module-ftdi-sio (direct link).

• 5. Re: ftdi_sio drivers
                  David_J_Hunt

Luis,

Attached is a gzipped version of ftdi_sio.ko. You should be able to insmod it on your Edison if you're running ubilinux (Debian).

Regards,

Dave.

• 6. Re: ftdi_sio drivers
                    Tyberius

This isn't working for me, I'm not seeing usbserial being loaded at all, which is a dependency of ftdi_sio.ko isnt it?

I dont think this was included with the builtin kernel modules for your Ubilinux image.

PS: Sorry if you received multiple PMs from me, the inbox system was having a stroke last night.

• 7. Re: ftdi_sio drivers
                      mhahn

Tyberius wrote:

This isn't working for me, I'm not seeing usbserial being loaded at all, which is a dependency of ftdi_sio.ko isnt it?

I dont think this was included with the builtin kernel modules for your Ubilinux image.

PS: Sorry if you received multiple PMs from me, the inbox system was having a stroke last night.

can you first try "insmod ftdi_sio.ko"?

If that works fine in order to auto load:

you'd have to put the kernel module to the right folder (in my case /lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison+/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.ko)

No matter if installing manually or via a package: you should run "depmod -a" in order to update the internal database. Otherwise the module won't be found.

If it still doesn't work: try whether udev correctly jumps in by watching what happens with "udevadm monitor"