6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 11:31 AM by D@ny

Using arduino mega with intel edison mini breakout

D@ny

Hi, i'm working with reading data from a single board computer , I can read data from an arduino mega in my raspberry pi and beagle bone black, but i can't read this in the intel edison. I'm using 1 usb (j16) to energize with my computer, and the other mini usb (j3) to read from arduino mega. the communication with my computer is using wifi .For testing the serial port, i'm using "cat /dev/ttyMDF1", but this command does not display anything. Am I using the correct port for reading arduino?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Using arduino mega with intel edison mini breakout
          Intel_Peter

Hello D@ny,

The reason why you can't read any data when you type "cat /dev/MDF1" is because you are trying to read from USB port (j3), which is the port used to access Linux. As you can see here: Using Serialx on Edison, ttyMDF1 is the UART1, and according to the Intel® Edison Breakout Board Schematic (pdf) in sheet 5, the UART1 pins in the Mini Breakout Board, are found in J19 and J18. Now, if you want to use these pins, I must tell you that you need to use a level translator since these pins are plugged directly to the Edison and work at 1.8V.

Peter.

• 2. Re: Using arduino mega with intel edison mini breakout
            D@ny

ok, i understand.. is it possible to use some Mini USB port to connect with arduino?

• 3. Re: Using arduino mega with intel edison mini breakout
              Intel_Peter

Hello D@ny,

Yes, you can use the J16 Micro USB port to read data, but since it is an OTG port, you will have to make sure that you use a Type A Micro USB cable, and use: "cat /dev/ttyGS0".

Peter.

• 4. Re: Using arduino mega with intel edison mini breakout
                D@ny

Thanks for your answer Intel_Peter . The thing is that I connect j16 to energize intel edison , and j3 is free, so i can't use the j16 mini usb to connect it with arduino. and I try to connect mini usb (j16) with pc and run this command "cat /dev/ttyGS0" and i can't see anything.

I try too with python .My code in python is very basic (below) :

puertoserial=serial.Serial(baudrate=57600,port='/dev/ttyGS0')

while True:

c=puertoserial.read()

print c

but not work .Some pictures of my connection

inteledison1.jpg ports2.jpg

• 5. Re: Using arduino mega with intel edison mini breakout
                  Intel_Peter

Hello D@ny,

This is taken from the The specified item was not found. in section 2.1:

"J3 is a micro USB FTDI serial-to-USB converter. The Linux console will output serial stream to this USB connector.

J16 is a fully USB compatible, micro AB, OTG (power “on the go”) port. If you plug a micro A cable into this port, the Intel® Edison module will connect to a PC as the host; if you plug a micro B cable into this port, the Intel® Edison module will connect to the PC as a device. (See the USB A female to micro A male cable, Digikey P/N 10-00649 839-1105-ND in Figure 7.)"

So, what happened again is that you are trying to read data from the wrong port, J3 as stated in the paragraph above is only used to connect to Linux.

If you can't use ttyMDF1, you could power the Breakout board from J21, applying 7-15V with the polarity shown in the Figure 2 of the The specified item was not found. under section 2.1 and use the ttyGS0 to read the data you send from your Arduino.

Peter.

• 6. Re: Using arduino mega with intel edison mini breakout
                    D@ny

Peter thanks for your response. well, now I'm using a external supply but i can't find a  type A micro usb. Therefore I'll build a type A micro usb modyfing one of type b  , for this I need only connect  the ground pin (pin 4) to ID pin (pin 4 for connect to intel edison), thats is correct?

220px-Types-usb_th1.svg.pngmicro a and b.png

Thanks

Finally worked thanks for the help. I just plug usb land and became as usb type A. but the port to read was not /dev/ttyGS0 , is dev/ttyACM0 .