8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2015 11:59 AM by 0gravity

Intel Edison Bitbake error frustrating binutils_2.24.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

gravemind

Its two days now trying to Bitbake the latest Intel-Weekly buid. All my efforts end at

ERROR: Task 1300 (virtual:native:/home/arietta/edison-src/poky/meta/recipes-devtools/binutils/binutils_2.24.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

I have tried the methods described in this thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/56464 but that fails too. Starting from a fresh linux installation is also failing.

I came across this thread https://communities.intel.com/message/259362#259362

But what is the exact file the Ale_T is referring to when he talks about the recipe? When he says

adding the below line to the kernel recipe (or any other recipe to that matter):

MIRRORS += "git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.10.git http://build.gnome.org/ostree/work/build-yocto/downloads/ \n"

I am a Bitbake novice. Please point me out to the exact file or help me with this error.

• 2. Re: Intel Edison Bitbake error frustrating binutils_2.24.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
          gravemind

CMata_Intel I added the line

MIRRORS += "git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.10.git http://build.gnome.org/ostree/work/build-yocto/downloads/ \n"

to my  edison-src/device-software/meta-edison/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.10.bbappend.

The error still persists.

• 3. Re: Intel Edison Bitbake error frustrating binutils_2.24.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
            AlexT_Intel

So as I mentioned in another thread - this error isn't going to be fixed with this solution, because it's a completely different situation.

This error message alone is not enough to advise meaningfully. There must be a full log file referenced in the error message - please post that one, it should contain more clues as to the root cause.

• 4. Re: Intel Edison Bitbake error frustrating binutils_2.24.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
              gravemind

To all of you with a normal laptop and wanting to Bitbake Edison Images with Virtual Box.

Hardware needed:

1) Ice lots of it.

2) A laptop/computer with minimum 6 GB ram and Core i5 processor running Win 7 or higher.

3) Vodka/Beer or whatever is your poison.

4) A baking tray or metal container.

5) Aluminium foil.

Software Needed:

1) Virtualbox or VMplayer or a Ubuntu Machine.

2) Ubuntu 14.04 lts (mine is 64 bit)

Step 1: Fill Bottles/Containers of water and put them in a freezer for 1 - 2 hours or overnight depending on your fridge/freezer ability.

You may skip this step if you are able to buy ice packs from supermarket.

Step 2: If you are Scrooge McScrooge and not buying ice from supermarket go to sleep or do something meaningful with your life or install Ubuntu.

Step 3: Run this step only if your computer is set up with Ubuntu 14.xx or higher. Ensure that you have minimum 4 core and 4gb of Ram at your disposal whether it is a Virtual Machine or a standalone box.

Step 4: On your Ubuntu Machine type

sudo apt-get install build-essential git diffstat gawk chrpath texinfo libtool gcc-multilib

Step 5: Download the Intel Edison Linux source files from https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23242 . You may use Wget or download directly. Then unzip the package.

Step 6: Start drinking. Before you get drunk navigate to the folder Edison-Src in the directory where you unzipped the package.

Step 7 Now run the following command

./device-software/setup.sh --dl_dir=/path/bitbake_download_dir –-sstate_dir=/path/bitbake_sstate_dir

Step 8: This will lead you into a directory edison-src/build. If there is an error here stop drinking and visit intel forums and start a new thread detailing the error. If not then type

source poky/oe-init-build-env

Step 9: This is the step where you need to take the Ice out of the freeze. Fill up a baking tray full of ice. Wrap the baking tray will aluminium foil. Poke holes in the foil and make sure that the bottom of the baking tray is thermally insulated. Place your laptop on top of the baking tray so that the vents are exposed to the cool aluminium foil around the baking tray. You may also do something similar with your laptop charger. My laptop charger broke during my first attempt at bitbaking.

Step 10: Load yourself with alcohol. Necessary if you do not have anything else to do.

Step 11: Run the following command on your Ubuntu machine.

bitbake edison-image

Step 12: Keep drinking or go make love to your GF she need some attention sometimes. If you don't have a GF go outside and find one. If everything goes according to plan you might have a new gf and a Intel Edison build. If not you will the saddest loneliest person in the world. But hey don't worry Intel Forums always have an answer to life's myseries and mysteries. It took me 4 hours to get drunk and give my GF some attention.

Step 13: Sober up. If you were with a girl it time to dump her. Your Intel Edison image is ready. Type the following

./edison-src/device-software/utils/flash/postBuild.sh

Step 14: If you are willing to make sweet love to your Edison try the following

bitbake virtual/kernel -c configure -f -v
              bitbake edison-image

And thats it you may now flash your edison.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Intel Edison Bitbake error frustrating binutils_2.24.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
                AlexT_Intel

I would argue with a couple of points in this guide, however you seem to be content with it (as signified by the "correct answer" mark), so I'd rather abstain

• 6. Re: Intel Edison Bitbake error frustrating binutils_2.24.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
                  0gravity

gravemind I was following your steps and when I got to step 7 I get confused with what "/path" is. So my question is: do I have to create two directories? One named bitbake_download_dir and one named bitbake_sstate_dir? Where should I create those directories.

If I just run the command like you say "./device-software/setup.sh --dl_dir=/path/bitbake_download_dir –-sstate_dir=/path/bitbake_sstate_dir" I get an error saying:

ERROR: '/path/bitbake_bitbake_download_dir' directory does not exist

Setup build environment for building the Edison Device Software

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Intel Edison Bitbake error frustrating binutils_2.24.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
                    AlexT_Intel

These could be any two directories on your machine. If you don't plan to have several versions of the build environment, you can omit these command-line parameters at all and bitbake will just create them inside the build dir. These options are useful if you have several build environments, the dl_dir stores the downloaded sources while sstate_dir stores objects created by bitbake during building. If you have those several build environments and configure bitbake to use those shared dirs (by passing these params to setup.sh), that would save you some build time and Internet traffic as it will just reuse pieces instead of downloading/building them anew.