12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 10:39 AM by vitalyart

Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi

vitalyart

Hi,

I need help to connect Intel Edison device to WiFi.(Edison Arduino board)

I totally new with Intel Edison and try to connect it to WiFi using tutorials.

When I try to run "configure_edison --wifi" command it successfully find my home network.

But when I enter the password - it wrote:  "Initiating connection to MY_NETWORK..." and doesn't progress.

I try to using wpa_cli command, the output is following:

> add_network

> set_network 0 ssid "MY_NETWORK"

OK

> set_network 0 psk "*******************"

OK

> enable_network 0

OK

<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED

<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS

<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE

<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE

and doesn't progress.

Do I have any way to troubleshoot it?

(I successfully connected device to my computer and run "Blink" example.)

Thanks in advance,

Vitaly

• 1. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
          CMata_Intel

Hi vitalyart

Do you have the latest image in your board? I guess you do because you were able to connect it to your PC without problems but please write in Terminal Console:

root@edison:~# cat /etc/version

and verify that the output will be: edison-rel1-maint-weekly_build_16_2014-10-14_14-56-19

Also, did you set a password for your Board with configure_edison --password? Without a password WiFi is not going to work. And a last question, do you have a WPA2 network in your house? or What kind of network are you using?

Regards;

CMata

• 2. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
            vitalyart

Hi,

thank you for your response.

The version is edison-weekly_build_56_2014-08-20_15-54-05.

I defined password using configure_edison --password command.

Wireless network is without authentication(Shared), using WEP encryption

• 3. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
              CMata_Intel

Hi vitalyart

Try reflashing the Board, and let me know if after that it works. You need the same version that I entered above.

Regards,

CMata

• 4. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
                vitalyart

Hi CMata,

I reflashed it.

The version is edison-rel1-maint-weekly_build_16_2014-10-14_14-56-19.

The problem still exists.

When I run "configure_edison --wifi" it successfully find my network.

But on the next step for some reason it doesn't receive my network password, i enter it but get the same message that asks me to enter network password.

As I already specified my network is without authentication with WEP encryption type. When it ask me to enter network password I enter my network security key.

Regards,

Vitaly

• 5. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
                  CMata_Intel

Hi vitalyart

After running "configure_edison --wifi" you will be asked for enter a number, write 1 for Manually input a hidden SSID and select again 1 for WEP let me know if it works.

Regards;

CMata

• 6. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
                    vitalyart

Hi CMata,

same result.

I run "configure_edison --wifi"

entered 1 to select "manually input a hidden SSID"

entered SSID of my network

entered 1 for WEP security type

entered my network security key but get the same message that asks me to enter network password.

It seems that it doesn't try to connect at all. If for example instead 1 (WEP) I entered 0 (Open security type) I see that it try to enable network access but failed.

As I already wrote when I select 1 (WEP) it doesn't try to connect.

Might be the issue with WEP security type?

I can try to change my network security type to WPA.

Do you think it can help?

Regards,

Vitaly

• 7. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
                      vitalyart

Hi CMata,

might be it has some type of validation of the network password?

My password consists 10 digits only.

• 8. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
                        vitalyart

Hi CMata,

I changed my network security to WPA2 and result the same, I can't connect.

Please see the output:

Configure Edison: WiFi Connection

Scanning: 1 seconds leftt

0 :     Rescan for networks

1 :     Manually input a hidden SSID

2 :     dmitriy

3 :     DIRECT-AP[TV][LG]berlin

4 :     orange-net-1

5 :     VITALY

6 :     Berlin_2.4

7 :     Rut1

8 :     HP-HP_Network

9 :     YOSSIMI

Enter 0 to rescan for networks.

Enter 1 to input a hidden network SSID.

Enter a number between 2 to 9 to choose one of the listed network SSIDs: 5

Is VITALY correct? [Y or N]: Y

Password must be between 8 and 63 characters.

What is the network password?: *************

Initiating connection to VITALY. Please wait...

Attempting to enable network access, please check 'wpa_cli status' after a minute to confirm.

Not connected. Something went wrong.

After it I use wpa_cli.

Please see the output:

root@edison_va1:~# wpa_cli

wpa_cli v2.2

Copyright (c) 2004-2014, Jouni Malinen <j@w1.fi> and contributors

This software may be distributed under the terms of the BSD license.

See README for more details.

Selected interface 'wlan0'

Interactive mode

> add_network

> set_network 0 ssid "VITALY"

OK

> set_network 0 psk "*****************"

OK

> enable_network 0

OK

<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE

<3>Trying to associate with fc:75:16:54:fe:38 (SSID='VITALY' freq=2452 MHz)

<3>Associated with fc:75:16:54:fe:38

<3>WPA: Key negotiation completed with fc:75:16:54:fe:38 [PTK=CCMP GTK=TKIP]

<3>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to fc:75:16:54:fe:38 completed [id=0 id_str=]

<3>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=fc:75:16:54:fe:38 reason=7

<3>CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT bssid=fc:75:16:54:fe:38 status_code=1

<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE

<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE

<3>CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0 ssid="VITALY" auth_failures=1 duration=10 reason=CONN_FAILED

<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE

<3>CTRL-EVENT-SSID-REENABLED id=0 ssid="VITALY"

<3>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to fc:75:16:54:fe:38 completed [id=0 id_str=]

<3>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=fc:75:16:54:fe:38 reason=7

<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE

<3>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=fc:75:16:54:fe:38 reason=0

<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE

<3>CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0 ssid="VITALY" auth_failures=1 duration=10 reason=CONN_FAILED

<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE

<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE

Do you think that problem related to Hardware?

Regards,

Vitaly

• 9. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
                          CMata_Intel

Hi vitalyart

I don't think will be related to hardware. Let's re-flash your board again, and run one of the sketches in the IDE. Try with this: File>Examples>WiFi>WiFiWebClient. You will need to change the lines:

char ssid[] = "yourNetwork"; //  your network SSID (name)

char pass[] = "secretPassword";  // your network password

After uploading the sketch, check the Serial Monitor and let me know what is the outcome of it. If it seems that is working, go again and set a --name, --password and --wifi using Terminal Console. If not, try again with the previous process that you tried but start wpa_supplicant first I'm not sure if you did it. Take a look at this document

Let me know about the results after this.

Regards;

CMata

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
                            Mason17

Hi CMata,

I have issues whit the IDE sketches. Im able to connect whit  Edison  to my wifi network through  putty console and ssh works also great but if I try to upload an arduino wifi skech than it comes to an endless loop at this point.

// attempt to connect to Wifi network:

while (status != WL_CONNECTED) {

Serial.print("Attempting to connect to SSID: ");

Serial.println(ssid);

// Connect to WPA/WPA2 network. Change this line if using open or WEP network:  

status = WiFi.begin(ssid, pass);

// wait 10 seconds for connection:

delay(10000);

}

Till yet i never get any positive result from an arduino sketch ( regarding the wifi library ). I would like to send and recieve  UDP pockets for my robot project which works fine whit mega and wifi shield but yet i have some issue to move the project to my edison-arduino platform. Of course i have flashed more times whit the latest update.  The reason why i try to change to this platform is because the Wifi shield have an UDP package send lag issue in every 6-7 sec. this means for a few moments i can just recieve 1-2 package/sec and I need at least 15-20  stable. I hoped the edison platform will solve this issue but for testing i have to get first the IDE sketches bring into work

Do you have any suggestion what can be the issue?  I thought if the wifi is already in use or connected than makes no sense to establish a new connection from arduino too.

Update: I tried to connect to my phone AP and that worked fine, but to  my home network i´m still not able from arduino just form console... Do you think that is there any router related setup what i should change? I tried whit WPA WPA2 and fast all encrypt option but still not worked. Please if you know any router related option what i should avoid to able to connect than please let me know.

• 11. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
                              Mason17

I found the solution regarding my last  post. The issue was that the arduino wifi library on Edison had some problem to connect if the wifi settings was not WPA/PSK AES encoding and strange but the WIFI channel i had to change from 10 to 6... Now i´m able to send and receive UDP packets between Unity 3D and Edison-Arduino board . And i found the next challenge... How to get into work more than 1 servo whit the board.

• 12. Re: Unable to connect Intel Edison to WiFi
                                vitalyart

Hi CMata,

it seems that your last recommendation resolve the problem.

After I run sketch device successfully connect to WiFi, get IP.

I use this IP to run different examples from IoT-ide(eclipse).

I have one more question - for some reason it's work very slow and unreliable . It takes a lot of time to upload and run example from Eclipse.

Sometimes I get messages that upload is unsucceesfull(connection is broken, ...).

Is related to my home network or it can have another reason?

Thanks,

Vitaly