11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2015 7:14 AM by AndreiE

Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked

ashok_vasudevan

Intel Galileo Gen 2

MAC: 984FEE01D4F0

I recently bought an Intel Galileo Gen 2 board. During the initial steps, the firmware upgrade through the Arduino IDE 1.5.3 failed and ever since the board is not getting detected by my Windows laptop. I browsed through the forums and troubleshooting sections in this community but haven't been successful in the recovery process.

I followed the following recovery process:

Intel® Galileo Board Recovery Mode

I have attached the logs that were generated.

I do not have a Dediprog SPI flash programmer, and hence unable to try that method. Please guide on the way forward to get my board to life.

• 1. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi ashok_vasudevan,

I will suggest you to check the instructions in this post: Re: Re: Galileo 2 Bricked. I believe you followed the procedure for recovering the Galileo Gen1, but it doesn't work for the Galileo Gen2 because it requires a different FVMAIN.fv file.

In the post I linked there is the file required for the Galileo Gen2, try to follow the steps and post what the results were.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked
            ashok_vasudevan

Hi DiegoV_Intel,

I had already checked the post you shared and used the Galileo Gen 2 FVMAIN.fv file. However to be doubly sure, I re-tried with the file from your link, but no success. I have attached the logs.

Best Regards,

Ashok

• 3. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked
              ashok_vasudevan

Hi DiegoV_Intel,

I missed attaching the logs to the previous reply. Here you go.

Best Regards,

Ashok

• 4. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked
                ashok_vasudevan

Hi,

Awaiting your response!

• 5. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked
                  DiegoV_Intel

Hi ashok_vasudevan,

I'm sorry for the delay. I will suggest you to use the .cap and .efi files to flash your board. Please check this document: Intel® Quark BSP Build Guide. There is a guide, in section 9, explaining the flashing process you should follow.

In the section 7 you will find the instructions to create the files needed for this flashing method. Try with this method and let me know what the results were this time.

Regards,

Diego.

• 6. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked
                    ashok_vasudevan

Hi Diego,

I'm trying to get my hands on a Linux laptop but it may get delayed. In case you have the build setup ready, Will you be able to build and provide the .cap and .efi files for my board?

Type: Galileo Gen 2

MAC address: 984FEE01D4F0

regards

Ashok

• 7. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked
                      DiegoV_Intel

Hi ashok_vasudevan,

Here are the files you need . Try the suggestion I mentioned in the previous reply using these files and let me know your the results.

Regards,

Diego.

• 8. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked
                        ashok_vasudevan

Diego,

Thank you for your support. I tried flashing through the serial port, however I am unable to enter the UEFI shell from the serial console. The board is not responding to the F7 key press on powering on the board. I only see the below logs:

Loading PEIM at 0x0008002CF34 EntryPoint=0x0008002D024 /jenkins_builder/workspace/GLLO_BSP100.efi

SPI PDR reports Platform ID as 8. This is unknown ID.

Loading PEIM at 0x0008002C184 EntryPoint=0x0008002C274 /jenkins_builder/workspace/GLLO_BSP100.efi

Platform Info: File name table contains 5 entries

Type '0' for 'ClantonPeakSVP' [PID 2]

Type '1' for 'KipsBay' [PID 3]

Type '2' for 'CrossHill' [PID 4]

Type '3' for 'ClantonHill' [PID 5]

Type '4' for 'Galileo' [PID 6]

I guess there's a larger problem here. Maybe some of the content in my SPI flash is erased, and not just corrupted?

Best Regards,

Ashok

• 9. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked
                          DiegoV_Intel

Hi ashok_vasudevan,

You have to press the key "c", not "F7". I've just done the process. Take a look to the screenshots I took below.

• First, you have to copy the files in your SD. I'm referring to the .cap and .efi files that you already have.
                          • Then insert the SD card and power on the board. The board should boot from the SD card Image. This means that you had to download the Linux Image for Galileo and store it in the SD card. I'm not sure if you already did it, but if not you must do it before go to the following steps.
                          • Open PuTTY before powering the board so you can see the booting process from the beginning. When you power the board you will see something similar to this:

1.JPG

• When you see that screen, don't hit the "F7" key. You have to start hitting the "c" key until you see this other screen:

2.JPG

• In that screen you can't erase what you already wrote, so if you wrote a lot of "c" like in the picture above just hit the "Enter" key.
                          • Then write "quit" and hit "Enter" and you will see the following screen:

3.JPG

• Select the last option, "UEFI Internal Shell". You will see now the following screen:

4.JPG

• Then you have to enter to "fs0" unit, which is the SD card. Write "fs0:" and hit enter.
                          • Now you have to write the name of each file. Remember that you can't erase what you write so try to do it carefully. You have to write the .efi name file, then write an "space" and start writing the .cap name file. You have to add the file extension for each one. Write them with the exact name they have. Your screen should look like this:

5.JPG

• Make sure the file names are correct and hit "Enter". The process will start. It will take some minutes.

Now you only have to wait until it finishes. Don't interrupt the process because the board could be damaged permanently. After the process finishes the board will boot as normally from the SD card.

After the process is completed, the board will have the current firmware version. To check the firmware version use this command: cat /sys/firmware/board_data/flash_version. Check the picture below:

6.JPG

Let me know if you are able to perform the process. I hope you find this "quick guide" helpful.

Regards,

Diego.

• 10. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked
                            CMata_Intel

Hi ashok_vasudevan

Did the last suggestion worked for you?

Regards;

CMata

• 11. Re: Intel Galileo Gen 2 board bricked
                              AndreiE

Hi,

I have grub 2.x and "quit" does not work. Do you know how can I enter UEFI shell?

Regards,

Andrei