5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2015 10:48 AM by Intel_Peter

Installation of Galileo Gen-2 on Windows 8.1 Pro generates "Unknown USB Device" message

dcfcm
      1. I am a "newbie" to the forum and I have a new Galileo Gen2 device which I bought some month ago without having used it until now.
      2. I also have a Dell laptop which has been upgraded to Windows 8.1, on which I have downloaded and installed the appropriate version of arduino. I am following the installation process from here: Galileo Getting Started - Windows
      3. I get as far as step 3 (which starts with a reference to Windows 7 and none to Windows 8/8.1) and instead of the expected "Gadget Serial v2.4" I get "Unknown USB device" in Device Manager.
      4. Attempts to update or install the device driver from Device Manager make no difference.
      5. I have tried the same process on an old Windows 7 machine which does give me the "Gadget Serial v2.4" message which suggests that the Galileo device itself is ok. However, I need it to work on my primary Windows 8.1 laptop.
      6. To reinforce that impression that the device is ok, I have also tried booting it with a serial cable connected and can see that it boots into Linux (or some variant) without any apparent issues.
      7. Looking at other threads on here and following instructions from them, I have also tried directly installing Linux-cdc-acm.inf by right clicking on it and selecting "install". That returns a pop-up which tells me that the operation completed successfully,
      8. Similarly, there is some reference to a system file "usbser.sys" in other threads with an implication that it might be missing. It resides here on my installation: C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_mdmcpq.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17018_none_6422921e888617b2. Does that need to be duplicated elsewhere?
      9. There are suggestions on other threads suggesting that later boards don't suffer from this problem. Is that correct? Or are there different definitive processes to follow for different incarnations of the Galileo board? The serial number for this one is FZGL42702G15  
        • 1. Re: Installation of Galileo Gen-2 on Windows 8.1 Pro generates "Unknown USB Device" message
          Intel_Peter

Hello dcfcm,

Could you try right clicking on the the unknown device and select the "Update Driver Software" option, when it fails click "Browse my Computer for Driver Software", select the "tools" folder located within "Arduino-1.5.3\hardware\arduino\x86\" and install it.

Does it still not recognize your Galileo?

Peter.

• 2. Re: Installation of Galileo Gen-2 on Windows 8.1 Pro generates "Unknown USB Device" message
            dcfcm

Thanks for the response. I am now away from my desk for a few days but I know I have tried that with the tools folder and subfolders beneath it. I will try again when I return. In the meantime, should the message in Device Manager change from "unknown device" as for Windows 7?

• 3. Re: Installation of Galileo Gen-2 on Windows 8.1 Pro generates "Unknown USB Device" message
              dcfcm

I am now back at my desk and can give a more precise description:

1. Under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" within Device manager, when I plug in the Galileo I have the message "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

2. A similar Windows pop-up message is shown at the base of the desktop.

3. When I right click on the message in device manager, I then opt for "Update Driver Software".

4. I can then browse to "C:\arduino-1.5.3-Intel.1.0.4\hardware\arduino\x86\tools" as suggested above.

5. I then immediately get the message "The best driver software for your device is already installed" but the dialog box header still reads "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)", as does a second message within that dialog box.

I have contacted Dell Technical Support and updated everything to the latest available on the laptop, but still I see the same problem. As previously mentioned, the device is recognised on an old Windows 7 machine, so the cables and connections are proven ok.

• 4. Re: Installation of Galileo Gen-2 on Windows 8.1 Pro generates "Unknown USB Device" message
                dcfcm

I am now back at my desk and can give a more precise description:

1. Under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" within Device manager, when I plug in the Galileo I have the message "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

2. A similar Windows pop-up message is shown at the base of the desktop.

3. When I right click on the message in device manager, I then opt for "Update Driver Software".

4. I can then browse to "C:\arduino-1.5.3-Intel.1.0.4\hardware\arduino\x86\tools" as suggested above.

5. I then immediately get the message "The best driver software for your device is already installed" but the dialog box header still reads "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)", as does a second message within that dialog box.

I have contacted Dell Technical Support and updated everything to the latest available on the laptop, but still I see the same problem. As previously mentioned, the device is recognised on an old Windows 7 machine, so the cables and connections are proven ok.

(Previous entry replied to my own comment which I'm guessing won't get to you!)

• 5. Re: Installation of Galileo Gen-2 on Windows 8.1 Pro generates "Unknown USB Device" message
                  Intel_Peter

Hello dcfcm,

I'm sorry for my delayed reply, I didn't have access to a Windows 8 PC, I tried it myself and I was able to install the Galileo drivers,I was using a Dell Studio 1569 with Windows 8.1, I will attach the pictures of how I did it (The computer I found had the Spanish version of Windows, I think the pictures are understandable but, if you don't understand them please let me know and I'll try to find an English version of the OS).

1.PNG2.png3.png4.PNG5.PNG6.PNG

I think this might be a configuration issue in your OS, why don't you try to install the Galileo drivers in another Windows 8 PC, to confirm this.

Peter.