3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 7:47 AM by Intel_Peter

Edison with Bluetooth 4.2

heedle

Hi,everyone.

Recently,I try do some work with Edison.I want to update the Bluetooth version of the yocto in the Edison .The Bluetooth 4.2 can support the 6LoWPAN and IPv6. But, I do not know how to update the version. Have anyone do the same work with me? Can you help me?

• 1. Re: Edison with Bluetooth 4.2
          Intel_Peter

Hello heedle,

As you can see in the Intel® Edison Compute Module Hardware Guide in section 3.2, the Edison's Bluetooth antenna is 4.0, the Edison's Bluetooth capabilities allow it to be compatible with previous versions but it can't be upgraded due to hardware limitations. What I mean is that the antenna can divide frequencies but it cannot multiply them. As far as I understand some -4.2 devices can receive some 4.2 features through firmware updates but it is to be seen if the Edison will receive a firmware update for its antenna.

Peter.

• 2. Re: Edison with Bluetooth 4.2
            heedle

Hello peter,

Thank you, I know the Bluetooth 4.0 antenna can support the 4.2. But I do not know how I can updata the firmware if I want to use the Bluetooth 4.2 .

• 3. Re: Edison with Bluetooth 4.2
              Intel_Peter

Hello heedle,

The driver if it is available from Broadcom, would need to be included in the build recipes. I also need to clarify, some but not all features of 4.2 are available for 4.0 devices, as I mentioned earlier to have full 4.2 functionality you need 4.2 hardware.

Peter.