6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 9:16 AM by Intel_Peter

Initial setup problems on Mac

dbdbgriggs

Hi, Im trying to get the Galileo Gen 2 board working with my mac, running OS 10.10.1.  I downloaded the intel arduino code from intel, but can't establish comms with the Galileo.  During the initial install, it required me to "downgrade" my Java installation, which I did.  The default serial port does not appear on the ports list, but it did seem to be talking to the board.  I noticed that a serial port in the list appeared when the galileo was connected, but was not there when the usb to the board was disconnected.  Setting to that serial port causes the app to hang on upload, requiring a force quit.  Any suggestions as to what Im missing or doing wrong?

Thanks

Doug

• 1. Re: Initial setup problems on Mac
          Intel_Peter

Hello dbdbgriggs,

The Arduino IDE indeed needs to have Java installed on your computer, but it doesn't need you to downgrade your Java version, it needs to install the legacy Java SE 6 Runtime, you can find it here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572. Go ahead and update again your Java version and after you've done that install the legacy version of Java SE 6 from that link.

If you go to the Mac terminal, while having connected both the micro USB port and the Linux port of the Galileo, and type cd /dev/ you will see all the devices connected to your computer, if you look in there, you will find something like tty.usbmodemXXXX which is the micro USB port of the Galileo and tty.usbserial-XXXXXXXX which is the Linux port of the Galileo and if you want to connect to the Linux on th Galileo, you can type screen tty.usbserial-XXXXXXXX.

I just tested this and I can upload the Blink sketch and enter Linux, I’m using OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

Peter.

• 2. Re: Initial setup problems on Mac
            CMata_Intel

Hi dbdbgriggs

Are you still having problems to connect you Galileo Board to your Mac?

Regards;

CMata

• 3. Re: Initial setup problems on Mac
              dbdbgriggs

Yes, still having problems.  Still no serial comms at all, or at least none that I can detect.  Haven't had much time to monkey with it until now.  I did use the terminal to locate the galileo serial port, and that all seemed fine.  Will the galileo respond to a simple terminal command?  reboot, blink, anything?  just to see if I am in fact talking to it.  The mini-usb comes up as a port, but there is no indication of serial comms on the galileo.  I also tried it on an older mac running 10.6.8 (latest for that machine).  should there be a blinking led with comms, like the arduino?  I am confused about the statement concerning a second serial port for linux.  That there would be one makes sense, but where is it physically?  Where is the connection to the linux side?  does it somehow share the same physical usb port?

Thanks

Doug

• 4. Re: Initial setup problems on Mac
                dbdbgriggs

Some additional info:

ok, I think I found the Linux port, mine has a series of pins with rs 232-like markings between the USB client and the Ethernet connectors.

Here is the log from the arduino attempt to upload blink:

Binary sketch size: 83,479 bytes (of a 10,000,000 byte maximum) - 0% used

starting download script

#!/bin/sh

#

echo "starting download script"

echo "Args to shell:" $*

#

# ARG 1: Path to lsz executable.

# ARG 2: Elf File to download

# ARG 3: TTY port to use.

#

Args to shell: /Applications/ArduinoGalileo.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/x86/bin /var/folders/64/s6ty___n2xn3mydvhckcxct40000gn/T/build8305436214939771498.tmp/Blink.cpp.elf /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131

#path may contain \ need to change all to /

path_to_exe=$1

fixed_path=${path_to_exe//\\/\/}

#

tty_port_id=$3

Serial Port PORT (note: should be /dev/cu.xxxxxx for OSX)

Using tty Port /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131

echo "Serial Port PORT" $com_port_id "(note: should be /dev/cu.xxxxxx for OSX)"

echo "Using tty Port" $tty_port_id

#

Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode

echo "Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode"

echo "~sketch download" > $tty_port_id

It hangs at this point, until I reboot the board.  Then the script finishes with lots of "file not found"

So I think that the port is correct, and it is talking to the board, at least sorta.  just not in a useful way.  Could it have a bad baud setting?

Thanks

Doug

• 5. Re: Initial setup problems on Mac
                  Intel_Peter

Hello dbdbgriggs,

The USB port and Linux port are physically different, please take a look at the following pictures.

linux port.jpglinux port2.jpg

They have marked the Linux ports in both the Gen1 and the Gen2, you will be able to enter Linux through these ports as I explained in my previous post.

If you want to learn how to use the Arduino IDE and start uploading sketches, why don you take a look at the Galileo Getting Started - Mac?

Peter.

• 6. Re: Initial setup problems on Mac
                    Intel_Peter

Also, you can check Connecting to Galileo via Linux Console, in that thread, you can find several ways to enter the Galileo's Linux, I think it'll help you.

Peter.