5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 4:08 AM by Apachez

BIOS version supports wake on USB?

thaonphuong

Hello All,

My intention is to check if my usb devices can (not) wake up PC from sleep. Some PCs have option "Wake on USB" in System configuration- Device option menu, but mine does not. Below is response for BIOS version after running below command:

> wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion

SMBIOSBIOSVersion

786G1 v01.16

Do I need to upgrade my BIOS version? If so, from which BIOS version, this option is available or which one should be suitable version? which things i should consider when i upgrade my BIOS version?

Many thanks for your helps

Thao

• 1. Re: BIOS version supports wake on USB?
          joe_intel

What is your Intel® NUC model and BIOS version?

What USB device are you trying to use with the Intel® NUC?

• 2. Re: BIOS version supports wake on USB?
            thaonphuong

Hello Joe,

Sorry for this dummy question, could you advise me how to know Intel NUC model? About BIOS version, response from my command as boave shows that it is version 1.16? Please correct me if i am wrong or we have other ways to verify this version

> wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion

SMBIOSBIOSVersion

786G1 v01.16

I am trying to use one usb scanner to connect to my desktop PC

P/S: I am not sure if this is raised on correct group, if not could you advise me where should i put this question. Thanks for your response

Regards,

Thao

• 3. Re: BIOS version supports wake on USB?
              joe_intel

The information you provided above does not seem to be related to an Intel® NUC product.

The Intel® NUC model and BIOS version are displayed when you access the BIOS setup screen with the F2 key.

You can also get the information from the msinfo32 report (press Windows* key + R key, type “msinfo32”, press OK and then File, Export).

Most computer systems usually wake from USB without any special setup as they clearly wake when using mouse or keyboard. However, some systems will not wake from USB when in deep sleep/hibernation (S4).

All about System Power States (S0-S5) | Intel® Developer Zone

You may want to check if the scanner you are trying to use is capable of such feature.

• 4. Re: BIOS version supports wake on USB?
                thaonphuong

Hi Joe,

Sorry for late response. Attachment is my exported info from msinfo32 command. Please let me know if i can provide more information

I read through your suggested link about power state, and i wonder how do these states map to options on Windows, specifically for S1, S2, S3 states? Are they visible to users?

S0     Power on

S1     ?

S2     ?

S3     ?

S4     Hibernate

S5     Power off

In my scenario, scanner is capable to wake up from sleep PC. I chose Start-Sleep option

For some PCs, i could see "Wake on USB" option and able to enable/disable this to allow/not allow scanner to wake up PC from sleep

But on some PC, i do not see "Wake on USB" option. Is this due to BIOS or Windows ?

Regards,

ThaoBIOS-msinfo32.png

• 5. Re: BIOS version supports wake on USB?
                  Apachez

Looks like some admin need to move this thread to the proper board.

You are asking about a HP DC7900 SFF in a Intel NUC forum =)