6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 5:32 PM by joe_intel

Request for advice on painless uninstallation of Intel RST RAID Driver version 13.2.4.1000

pandufa

Hi there,

I am seeking advice from experts on un-installation (respectively system restore with rollback to older driver) after a apparently faulty installation of the latest (Intel® RST) RAID Driver version 13.2.4.1000.

This goes under the category "Never touch a working system"... Unfortunately, I still felt it would be a good idea to update my Intel RST RAID driver from 10.8.0.1003 (which worked well) to the latest version (13.2.4.1000 as of today) and it seems that wasn't a good idea.

Here's the short version (please read on further below if you want more extensive information):

Hardware: DELL "Alienware" Aurora with Intel Corei7 CPU 920  @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and 12 GB RAM. OS is running from drive C:/ which is a 2TB NTFS hard drive and main data storage on drive G:/ which is a RAID 1 consisting of 2x 3TB hard drive:

Not entirely shure why the above does not show the two 3TB SATA disks as RAID 1. Probably part of the problem lies here...

Here are the details for the disks which are actually part of the RAID 1:

After installation of said driver, I started having all kinds of problems, such as PC not shutting down, RAID 1 apparently synchronizing endlessly, various software freezing probaly due to some problems with file access and Disk Management not displaying any information due to not being able to connect to Virtual Disk Service.

Besides trying to understand what the exact problem is or what caused the mentioned problems, my main question is, can I use an existing system restore point to go back to the previous drvier version, without the risk to loose access to the files on my hard disk or loose any data? The point is that I tried to uninstall the current driver (13.2.4.1000), but it says that this is not possible as it "MAY currently be controlling the hard drive"...

I have not yet explored the option mentioned at the bottom of the window, which suggests reconfiguring the sytem so that it uses the native operating system software to manage the hard drive controlers.

Another option is that I have a system restore point from just before the driver installation (which apparently also installed some SCSI drivers...):

However, as you can see, it does also not promise that this will work without problems. I am simply afraid that trying one of the two options above to get rid of the apparently faulty driver installation will wreak havoc, ultimately leaving me with even more problems. Data on my RAID 1 are way too important to just try (and error) any of these options without consulting first with someone who can give good advice and guide me to do this the safe way...

Thanks in advance for any helpd with this!

I'll send this out for now as this may be sufficient for you experts out there to give me some good advice (hopefully!). In the meantime I'll post the more extensive version in a separate contribution to this discussion (may take a while...).

Cheers for now,

pandufa

PS: Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. I didnt' find a better one and saw a similar discussion in this section. My plea to admin to move this to where it belongs if necessary.

I've added System Report as TXT file.

• 1. Re: Request for advice on painless uninstallation of Intel RST RAID Driver version 13.2.4.1000
          joe_intel

Hi pandufa, thank you for posting your inquiry in the correct community.

The latest version supported for your chipset is Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 11.7.

At this moment it is difficult to determine if the best option is a normal uninstall or a system restore, or even a third party uninstall software. I hope you understand this scenario was not tested or validated in any way; however, I hope the following information will be of help.

A RAID 1 volume can be reset to non-RAID disks from Ctrl+I and the data is expected to remain. You will get the normal warning saying all data will be deleted; nevertheless, being this a mirror, it is the only RAID type that can be reset to non-RAID and still get the data stored in the disks.

After doing this, it is possible to completely uninstall Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and install the previous or any other compatible version and rebuild the RAID 1 using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology in Windows* so you can keep the data.

• 2. Re: Request for advice on painless uninstallation of Intel RST RAID Driver version 13.2.4.1000
            pandufa

Thanks joe_intel for your response.

Can you further explain what you mean by Ctrl+I? From within what application would I need to press Ctrl+I to obtain the option to reset to non-RAID?

How would the rebuild process work?

Thanks and have a joyful holiday season!

• 3. Re: Request for advice on painless uninstallation of Intel RST RAID Driver version 13.2.4.1000
              joe_intel

Please refer to the following document:

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf

1 - You can enter the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology option ROM by pressing Ctrl+I during POST, before the operating system starts booting. For details and pictures go to Section 4 in page 15.

For this option to appear, it is required to have two drives connected to the Intel(R) Chipset SATA controller while it is set to RAID-ready in BIOS (as your system should already be).

2 - The rebuild process including “Do you want to keep data from one of the selected disks?” is explained in Section 8, page 30.

I hope this results helpful and you enjoy your holidays too!

• 4. Re: Request for advice on painless uninstallation of Intel RST RAID Driver version 13.2.4.1000
                pandufa

Hi joe_intel,

sorry for taking longer to respond. I have finally decided to try and solve the problem, but here's the next issue: It seems the above solution is meant for a hardware RAID, at least I do not get the CTRL-I prompt during POST. My RAID is a software RAID.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

P.S.: In the meantime I have further investigated and have now activated the RAID option in the BIOS settings, and am now getting the CTRL-I prompt during POST. However, it shows the same information that is also reflected in the screen captures shown in my original post: My C: drive (boot drive) is correctly reflected as a RAID 0. This is something I did not mention because I had forgotten over time, but in fact is correct.

So the setup is the following:

Drive C: (boot drive with OS - Windows 7 Pro and all Program files on it), consists of two 1TB HDD's set up as RAID 0 with two partitions.

Drive G: (data disk), consists of two 3TB HDD's set up as RAID 1

Now the problem is that after the IRST driver update as mentioned in the original post, drive C: is still recognized as RAID 0, but not drive G:. Drive G: is recognized as two individual Non-RAID disks instead.

As a result, the solution you suggested would probably pose a problem with regard to the boot drive if the disks were set to Non-RAID (which is required as otherwise I can't uninstall the IRST RAID driver), as there is no mirror. On the other hand, the conncerned disks (G: drive) are ALREADY set to Non-RAID, or at least recognized as such.

My question therefore is: What should I do now??

Thanks!!

I include a screen capture from the Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM:

• 5. Re: Request for advice on painless uninstallation of Intel RST RAID Driver version 13.2.4.1000
                  pandufa

Again me...

I finally tried the system restore point solution - and fortunately it worked without any issues! My system is now back to the point just before the driver installation. The RAID 1 is still resynching and will do so for about 10 more hours I guess, but all looks fine so far. I am not sure though if I will try to install the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 11.7. As stated at the beginning: Never touch a working system... Are there any relevant advantages with this version over my current version (10.8.0.1003)? I am also wondering how I can find out who is actually managing my RAID systems: Windows or Intel RST? I think it's Windows' built in RAID software, as the RAID 1 does not show up in IRST.