4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 1:01 PM by Helmut64

Can only access 188Mb of the Edisons 800MB memory

Lachlan

I am following the guide at Flashing Edison (wired) - Windows to do the initial image down load to the Edison via Windows

The system indicates I have only 188MB free and the image files cant be loaded to the device.

The Edison comes up as my E: drive and inidcates 188Mb free of 800Mb.

Looking in E: there are no files

In step 3 of the above guide I have deleted all files, and perfoming a dir command indicates there are no files, but the memory is only 188Mb free.

What can I do to make the remaining memory availalbe ?

Thanks for any help

Lachlan

• 1. Re: Can only access 188Mb of the Edisons 800MB memory
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi Lachlan,

I've just tested the flashing process in two Edisons but I wasn't able to reproduce your issue. Could you please post a screenshot showing the output of the "del *" command and another one showing the output of the "dir" command?

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Can only access 188Mb of the Edisons 800MB memory
            Lachlan

Thanks for the response Diego,

I have since reformatted the drive using windows and that returned the full memory capacity.

Prior to this I did the del * in windows, and also activated 'show hidden files", and it showed no files but only the 188MB free space. I used windows to do a disk check before the reformat and it found the files and recovered them but I did not look a them any further before reformatting.

When I was in Linux before the reformat and did the $ rm -rf * and $ rm -rf \.* and then did $ ls -a, it only showed the '.' and '..' directories and still only 188Mb free.

I think what happened is that while I was loading the image onto the Edison in file transfer mode with Linux, there was not enough power to run the Edison from the USB hub and it reset in the middle of the process and this created the un-see-able file fragments. I am now running on external power.

Thanks again for your response

Lachlan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can only access 188Mb of the Edisons 800MB memory
              DiegoV_Intel

Yes, probably that was the cause. Thanks for sharing how you solved it!

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: Can only access 188Mb of the Edisons 800MB memory
                Helmut64

This is normal with VFAT formatted media, usually I eject the drive and re-format it within Linux via:

// Log in as root and re-format update disk with VFAT32 format
                # mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n EDISON_F32 /dev/disk/by-partlabel/update

1 of 1 people found this helpful