11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 11:00 AM by kevin_intel

DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded

repoman576

I bought the lg gp50nb40 so I could have a recognizable optical boot drive to run the repair disk from window 7 maintenance.  the drive is recognizable in F10 and I can select the dvd drive to boot from.  I can also click any key to continue boot process.  as soon as the repair disk loads...here is where the problem lies...  kb and mouse function is gone.  now I can not navigate to continue.  I am using a Logitech k320 kb and a Logitech m510 mouse.  both are unifying devices.

is there something I need to do in order to have the kb and mouse work inside the repair disk program or do I need to have a wired usb kb and mouse on standby when loading the image?

• 1. Re: DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded
          repoman576

I think ideally I need to get the Logitech kb and mouse to work when the repair disk is loaded. all my usb ports are used up.  the 2 usb 2.0 port has the unifying receiver and lg dvd drive.  the usb 3.0 port has my 650 gb external hd.  been doing some research on usb 3.0 hubs and even the best rated one have issues. would prefer to stay away from them it I can help it

• 2. Re: DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded
            repoman576

something very interesting....  I have my lg dvd drive and Logitech unifying receiver in the 2 usb 2 ports and my external hd on the usb 3 port.  with this set up...when the repair disk loads...NO KB or MOUSE function...not even a mouse pointer

I removed the external drive and plugged in a wired Logitech mouse.....still nothing once I get into loading the repair disk ( no pointer either )

I removed the wired mouse and plugged in a borrowed Inland wired kb...when the repair disk loaded...everything worked...the Inland wired kb as well as my wireless Logitech usb kb and mouse

why is this?  im glad I was able to get this far, however, this is not ideal.  the external hd hold the image file.  now I know I can span the image across several dvd and actually I have created them but reloads using dvds are slow.

anyway, im still wondering why if I plug in a wired mouse nothing works ( as well and no wired mouse ) but if I plug in a wired kb...everything works.

as I said before, ideally I need to get the wireless Logitech kb and mouse to work without the waste of plugging in a wired kb that will take the place of the external hd with my image file.

• 3. Re: DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded
              kevin_intel

Hello repoman576,

I noticed there is a new BIOS update for your device so you should consider updating it. Here is the download link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24528

Please note that when installing or fixing any Operating System it is strongly recommended to disconnect unnecessary devices from the system.

There may be a compatibility issue between these components so if possible try another usb wire keyboard or Bluetooth.

Kevin M

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded
                repoman576

thanks for the reply.  grabbing it now and hoping it solves this issue.

do you really think it might be a compatibility issue?  the usb Logitech k320 kb and m510 mouse works fine in win 7 as well as updating the bios and in the bios. also it didn't recognize a wired usb mouse. the problem is when the repair disk is loaded.  no kb or mouse there and you cant navigate through the restore process.

• 5. Re: DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded
                  repoman576

45 isn't very good for me.  after loading it...I no longer get a video after the windows 7 splash screen.  just a black screen.  restarted to see if what version of the bios I was in and it seems it did take bios 45.  tried to restart windows again and same thing.  tried to restart again and now the LED is blinking 3x pause then repeat which indicates that the memory is bad.  this memory was tested in another pc after the death of NUC #2.  also this nuc was on for several days with multiple reboots in between with no issues.  so in trying to fix the kb and mouse issue in the repair disk...now I have nothing.  have unplugged power and will try to restart it in a few mins.

• 6. Re: DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded
                    repoman576

no good 3 LED flash continues.  waiting for my friend to come by with his mini pc and im going to try his memory.

I highly doubt its a memory issue as this is the exact same thing that happened when NUC #2 smelled like something burning inside and gave me the 3 LED flash.  that nuc never started again and was exchanged for the current nuc #3.  current nuc never smelled like there was something burning.  this incident came directly after bios 45 loaded.

• 7. Re: DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded
                      repoman576

ok ram appears to be bad.  funny I was always under the impression that ram either worked or it didn't.  this ram may have been damaged when Nuc #2 fried as that's when I first started to get the 3 LED blink, however, when Nuc #3 came, the ram worked fine until today.

go figure.

guess ill let you know how bios 45 works out with the mouse and kb issue in a week or so

• 8. Re: DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded
                        repoman576

ok got my ram back and now the nuc boots again, however, the issue still remains.  when the repair disk Is loaded, the mouse and keyboard DOES NOT WORK using Logitech k320 kb and m510 mouse.  heres the funny part....if I remove my usb 3 drive and plug in a wired KB ( seems like any brand will do ) everything works in the repair disk mode.  the wired kb, the k320 and m510 ALL work. interestingly, my friend who has a gigabyte mini pc has the exact SAME issues as I do.  if a wired kb is plugged in then everything works in repair disk mode.

before im told to see if the k320 and m510 is compatible....there are NO issues running in win 7 and no issues within the bios.

is this possibly a chipset issue?  if yes hopefully it can be corrected with bios update

• 9. Re: DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded
                          kevin_intel

I personally have tested this same NUC with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and it is working fine for me. I can access all the options you are having problems with so I would say this may be a compatibility issue between your components.

Kevin m

• 10. Re: DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded
                            repoman576

hello, thanks for your reply.....

are you saying that you have tested your Bluetooth kb and mouse after the repair disk is loaded?  if this is true, what wireless kb and mouse are you using?

my wireless k320 kb and m510 mouse works fine also in the windows 7 environment and also in the bios.  it even works when you are asked to press any key to continue when loading the repair disk.  once the repair disk is completely loaded.....no more k320 and m510 function at all.  there is not even the mouse pointer present or cursor.  when this happens you cannot navigate through the menu to load the image file.  as I mentioned earlier, once an additional wired keyboard is introduced, the wired kb as well as the wireless k320 and m510 works. 

• 11. Re: DN2820FYK no kb or mouse function after windows 7 repair disk is loaded
                              kevin_intel

The one I am using is Microsoft Wireless keyboard 800.

Kevin m