3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 9:02 AM by kevin_intel

NUC D34010WYK Display issues

Xepo

Hello,

On the 7th of November I have bought an Intel nuc d34010wykh. I have had some display issues that recently have grown worse.

My current setup is as follows:

• NUC connected to TV with mini hdmi to hdmi cable.
      • Windows 8.1 with all updates
      • I have installed all the latest intel drivers
      • NUC is updated to the latest BIOS version

My issues are as follows:

- Every 20-30 minutes, the screen becomes black for a few seconds and then comes back on. Sometimes this causes an HDMI handshake issue, turning the TV off and on resolves this. But is annoying.

- When I shut down the NUC (S5) and start it back up with the power button, I have no output to the TV. Windows starts fine, because after a few seconds I can log in to the system via RDP. It does not matter at what point I restart the system (immediately, after 5 minutes, after 12 hours...), the problem is always the same

- Te only way to restore the issue above is to shut down the nuc, remove the power supply, put it back in and boot.

- Rebooting the NUC (windows -> restart) does not give any problems! (given I had display output before restarting)

What I have tried:

• All available BIOS versions
      • Removing all unnecessary devices (USB, HDDs, WiFI etc)
      • Re-installing windows
      • Different HDMI cables (Ive bought for 30 euros in HDMI cables now..)
      • I moved the NUC motherboard to an Akasa case, temperatures are fine, never went higher than 45C
      • Put the TV and NUC on a different outlet
      • Put the NUC on a grounded outlet and on a non-ground outlet
      • Using the mini displayport instead of the mini-hdmi
      • Disabling auto-detect connection in the BIOS, setting it to HDMI or Displayport, depending on the cable
      • Search the forums for people with similar issues.

Things I have noted, but not sure what to make of it

• There is a high pitched noise coming from the cpu/gpu area. Similar to the noise coming from any AC adapter.
      • When plugging in any peripheral device (USB, HDMI) I sometimes notice little sparks

If someone could please give a suggestion on how to resolve this, I would be very grateful. I've spent a lot of money on a NUC assuming 'it would just work' and not deal with this kind of hassle, but alas.

Greetings,

Bob

• 1. Re: NUC D34010WYK Display issues
          kevin_intel

Hello Xepo,

Checking all the information you have provided (by the way excellent description)I think you are having a similar problem to the one discussed here https://communities.intel.com/thread/39881

I wonder what happens if you connect the NUC with a monitor? Have you tried updating the TV’s firmware?

I would also like to get more information so can you please provide the dxdiag report, graphics report and system information?

How to get it?

Dxdiag Report: Type dxdiag in Start Menu> open> Save> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File> Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

Graphics Report: Right click on desktop> Graphics Properties> Options> Drop Down Menu> Information Center> Save> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

Kevin M

• 2. Re: NUC D34010WYK Display issues
            Xepo

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for the reply. Shame on me for missing that huge topic...

Regarding your questions:

1) Unfortunately I don't have a monitor at hand. I might be able to test this in a week or so.

2) My TV's firmware is up to date (sony KDL-32w655a)

I do have an update on my side:

• When using the mini display port, I no longer experience the intermittent blackouts while watching a video. I'm not that much into the technicalities of the display port, so I don't really know what the important difference is with HDMI. Could it be that HDMI sometimes re-establishes its handshake, while mini-display does not?
            • When I enable 'Deep S4/S5' in the bios. The black screen from boot no longer occurs. I can now shutdown windows and restart at any time without issues. However, this deep S4/S5 mode also disables the infrared receiver, so I can no longer turn the unit on with a remote.

With these workarounds the nuc suits my needs. I can however still provide you with the files you asked for, but I'm not sure if they are of any help? I cannot create these reports without a screen (and I think graphics and dxdiag reports should be from the 'troubled state'?). I can RDP into the machine and fetch the reports, but I think that I then get a report from the 'virtual display'?

• 3. Re: NUC D34010WYK Display issues
              kevin_intel

Thank you for sharing this feedback. I am sure it will be very helpful for other users.

At this point, it seems you managed to get it working with a workaround so If you can provide the information will be great but if not that is okay.

Kevin M