6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 3:53 AM by ravija

Intel Edison - WiFi Error

sanjum89

This is an issue that I encountered with and was able to resolve. Hope it helps someone else.

While trying to configure WiFi and executing  the command - configure_edison -w the following error appears -

Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null) error: No such file or directory

Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null) error: No such file or directory

0 : Rescan for networks 1 : Manually input a hidden SSID

This might occur if you have removed the power to the unit while WiFi configuration was being done. If you typed in the wrong info for your WiFi router(wrong password) this will get added to the system without getting authenticated.

Find out the issue - Go to - /etc/opkg# systemctl restart wpa_supplican and see what the error is.

For me it was a wrong password issue -

Nov 17 14:37:40 stage wpa_supplicant[381]: Line 34: Invalid passphrase length 7 (expected: 8..63) 'a9d96f8"'.

Nov 17 14:37:40 stage wpa_supplicant[381]: Line 34: failed to parse psk '"a9d96f8"'.

Nov 17 14:37:40 stage wpa_supplicant[381]: Line 35: failed to parse network block.

Nov 17 14:37:40 stage wpa_supplicant[381]: Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf'.

Nov 17 14:37:40 stage systemd[1]: wpa_supplicant.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a

Nov 17 14:37:40 stage systemd[1]: Stopping Daemon to receive the wpa_supplicant event...

Nov 17 14:37:40 stage systemd[1]: Stopped Daemon to receive the wpa_supplicant event.

Nov 17 14:37:40 stage systemd[1]: Unit wpa_supplicant.service entered failed state.

Also check if there are any soft blocks for wlan -

rfkill list

Check if wlan comes up with an IP  - ifconfig

If not we need to restart the service

wpa_supplicant -B -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supp

licant.conf

But error appears due to wrong data -

Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant

Line 34: Invalid passphrase length 7 (expected: 8..63) 'a9d96f8"'.

Line 34: failed to parse psk '"a9d96f8"'.

Line 35: failed to parse network block.

Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf'.

Edit the following file which contains all the login data to which Edison was connected

vi /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

See if the data corresponding to the wifi network you are trying to connect to is correct or not.

For me psk (passkey) was wrongly set as a9d96f8.

Edit and add the proper data.

Save the file - press escape then type in :wq and enter (mentioning it in case you are new to this)

Restart the service using  -

wpa_supplicant -B -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supp

licant.conf

Go on and run - configure_edison -w if required. You should be able to get past the error this time.

Cheers,

Sanju Mathew

www.stagernd.com

• 1. Re: Intel Edison - WiFi Error
          deium

This is where you need to know what type of protection your router is asking for

WEP104, WEP40, WPA-PSK?

configure_edison -w also likes to store the passwords as characters.  If the key is not ascii convertible (non ascii char in hex) it has difficulties.

wpa_supplicant.conf places quotes around the input of configure_Edison, and expects no quotes on hexchar passwords

psk="pass"

psk=beeffeed

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel Edison - WiFi Error
            a_Monteiro

hello, I have read your to dos' on how to fix this issue and I don't know what these errors mean at the lines (114 and 115) after entering (

wpa_supplicant -B -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf):

Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant

Line 114: Invalid passphrase length 81 (expected: 8..63) 'echo "Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode""'.

Line 114: failed to parse psk '"echo "Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode""'.

Line 115: failed to parse network block.

Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

I don't know if this issue pertains to pwd fault. Is there a way that you can help me with this issue. I followed your advice to check for pwd mishaps(vi /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf) and for most networks that I connected to,the psks were all correct. With the same network further down in the file, the psks were the following :

network={                       

ssid="Monteiro_Channel_1"     

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK              

pairwise=CCMP TKIP            

group=CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40  

eap=TTLS PEAP TLS             

psk="http://myedison.local”/

Im assuming that happened since I was able to connect to the wifi and then tried to log in on my browser but did not work.

Another one :

network={                                                                      

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK                                                             

pairwise=CCMP TKIP                                                           

eap=TTLS PEAP TLS                                                            

psk="echo "Sending Command String to move to download if not already in downlo

}                                                                              

Could this be my problem ?

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Intel Edison - WiFi Error
              sanjum89

The psk for your connection seems a bit odd. Take a backup of the configuration file. Try editing (in the actual file) the psk to something smaller, say 1234 and do it for both entries with ssid ="Monteiro_Channel_1"and should look like this -

network={                      

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK             

pairwise=CCMP TKIP           

eap=TTLS PEAP TLS            

psk="1234"

}

Save it. Restart WiFi setup and try connecting to Monteiro_Channel_1 (which I guess is your WiFi router name). When prompted for a password, type in 1234. This might just work. Let me know.

Cheers,

Sanju

• 4. Re: Intel Edison - WiFi Error
                a_Monteiro

Hey  Sanjum,

I configured the file by deleting all the networks that was saved and attempted to connect and it worked. However the problem that I am having now is that once I input my ip address that is given to me, the browser failed to open page. I also used the following from the intel guides :  “http://10.0.0.26” or  “http://myedison.local”. They both also turned out to be non-operational.

Thank you for the swift response!

Admir M.

• 5. Re: Intel Edison - WiFi Error
                  sanjum89

You are welcome.

I guess I was not so swift to reply to this.

• 6. Re: Intel Edison - WiFi Error
                    ravija

Thanks a ton Sanjum.

Your solution was very helpful.

Just a note for others: If by any chance you seem to feel stuck even after following Sanjum's solution, make sure that you had checked the entire wpa_suppicant.conf file as it may have still registered the wrong or maybe incorrect entries somewhere below and delete them before saving the file. Then after restarting the wpa_supplicant by typing

wpa_supplicant -B -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

make sure to reset the edison.

Worked great for me.

Thanks again