5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 2:10 PM by deium

Heating and AC Adaptor problem

Amus

Hello again,
      I have another problem with my Intel Edison board. Actually I noticed that after some minutes (even blinking), the Edison Module gets really hot. And I can't get my Edison working with any AC Adaptor, I have used many ones wich had different outputs:
      - 10 V 850 mA
      - 12 V 2.0 A
      and others...
      How could I solve this problems? Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: Heating and AC Adaptor problem
          deium

Amus

from the console, if you cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone3/temp and cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone4/temp what are your core temperatures at?

• 2. Re: Heating and AC Adaptor problem
            Amus

On Zone 3 I get 78000 and on Zone 4 i get 77000!

• 3. Re: Heating and AC Adaptor problem
              deium

Amus, you will need to apply a cooling solution, a fan for forced air might help.  CPU is on the under side of the module so you are looking to have the air go between the board and module.  This may not be a permanent solution.  Operating specs for the Edison are 0C to 40C .. your cores are at 77C and 78C.  I don't have any further details to give you at the moment.  Once you have a fan cooling the module - take and report the temperature readings again.

• 4. Re: Heating and AC Adaptor problem
                Amus

I'm going to try immediately that.. but how am I supposed to place the fan between the module and the board mantaining the connection? And it's not possible to set something like "not use too much clock when unnecessary"?
                Thank You

• 5. Re: Heating and AC Adaptor problem
                  deium

Amus, it's not going to fit between, rather push air between - air flow perpendicular to the board and module as opposed to downward onto the module

Clock is fixed at lower, upper and speed of 500 MHz.   At this point a desk fan or 80mm is better than nothing.

airflow                ---  module  -----------

fan ------------------->    |                            |

====  board  =========