7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2014 7:59 AM by KurtE

Intel Edison simply refuses any USB except serial Putty.

gravemind

Ok I brought an Edison and started tinkering around. Tried to connect USB peripherals to check what I can do with it. But it simply refuses everything except serial to computer. Ive tried webcams, keyboards, usb storage devices. Nothing is picked up by the board. I even tried Ubilinux, Debian, Yocto nothing at all. I am using the breakout kit. When I try

root@Tesla:~# lsusb
      unable to initialize libusb: -99

root@Tesla:~# dmesg | grep -i usb
      [    0.204518] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
      [    0.204618] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
      [    0.204823] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
      [    0.761564] usbcore: registered new interface driver asix
      [    0.761646] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_subset
      [    0.761778] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ncm
      [    0.764218] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
      [    0.764555] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
      [    0.764573] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
      [    0.764678] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
      [    0.764867] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
      [    0.764941] usbcore: registered new interface driver pl2303
      [    0.765010] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for pl2303
      [    1.605615] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
      [    1.605635] usbhid: USB HID core driver
      [    4.988011] usb0: MAC 02:00:86:f2:d5:6b
      [    4.988033] usb0: HOST MAC 8a:b4:83:9c:e1:fe
      [    9.989181] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): usb0: link is not ready

Is this minibreakout capable of usb interface with device? Is my board broken or am I doing sth wrong?

• 1. Re: Intel Edison simply refuses any USB except serial Putty.
          deium

gravemind,

> Is this minibreakout capable of usb interface with device?

Your answer is yes.  If you look on EmutexLabs, you'll see it can be done, and possibly lead you in the right direction

• 2. Re: Intel Edison simply refuses any USB except serial Putty.
            gravemind

deium I tried although I don't have the exact dc step up I do have one from adrafruit. Its no use. I am returning to Arduino Yun. Just wasted three days and £50 on this *** from intel.

• 3. Re: Intel Edison simply refuses any USB except serial Putty.
              deium

gravemind

If you checkout the Hardware Guides for the Mini Breakout board, you can always apply 7-15V on J21 to provide power to the mini breakout board and that would free up your OTG USG port on J16.  I am not sure what your project is trying to accomplish, but I have to say that the Edison has some strong qualities being dual core 1GB ram 4GB space, Bluetooth, wifi and more in the lines of GPIO.

• 4. Re: Intel Edison simply refuses any USB except serial Putty.
                gravemind

@deium I am simply trying to see if I can get a usb connection to Edison. So far I get a feeling that this is just an expensive Arduino nano. All that processing power is waste if you can't use it. IOT is fine but really do you need that much processing power for IOTs that simply read sensors??? I have powered it with usb, with desktop ps and even with 9v battery no luck at all.

• 5. Re: Intel Edison simply refuses any USB except serial Putty.
                  deium

gravemind, Have you tried running your usb device through a usb hub?

• 6. Re: Intel Edison simply refuses any USB except serial Putty.
                    KurtE

Sorry if I am missing something here. 

I have not done much yet with the USB side other than I have confirmed that I could connect a couple of devices to mine.   In my case I connected up a USB2AX device (Controls Robotis TTL servos like AX-12), I have also connected USB sound device and at one point I connected an FTDI based rs232 converter.  I believe I have done some alone and others I have done with an external HUB (current setup).

To connect to the mini-breakout board, you need a proper USB converter cables.  I am using ones mentioned in the hardware manual, which I purchased from Digi-key.   Also as mentioned in the documents, you need to power your Edison from external (non-usb) power. I am currently using a 12v wall wart, but soon will be powering one of them by a 3s Lipo battery.

Not all of the required drivers for all of these devices are in the default build, but could be installed.   I am sure you probably have seen it, but AlexT has created a great repository for many of these packages, which you can install.  More details in the thread: Edison opkg package repo created

Again I am not sure which device(s) you have tried and which drivers are needed.   There are threads up here that talk about enabling USB sound as well as USB cameras.  I have not tried a camera yet.

I know you printed out some stuff from dmesg in your first posting, but it might help to see any other related messages.  Example plug in a device and then do something like:

dmesg | tail -30

And see if it says anything like no driver found or...

Good Luck.

• 7. Re: Intel Edison simply refuses any USB except serial Putty.
                      KurtE

I forgot to mention, that with the mini breakout board, I have found that there are some limitations on USB host mode, in particular if you do something like a soft reboot with USB devices attached, the system will not properly detect the devices.  lsusb will return a -1 type error.   However it did work properly for me, if I

a) Attach the first device after the processor has booted up.

b) Do it from a cold power up.  i.e. - you can have the USB devices installed and then apply power to the Edison and it works.

So I do think there is an issue that I hope someone will figure out for the next firmware release.  But I don't think this is your issue as you have shown lsusb output.

This has been discussed in other threads, including: USB Host mode from boot