Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20677 Discussions

Intel HD 4600 screen flickering.

JPark65
Beginner

Hi, I'm having an issue with my laptop screen. As far as I can tell, the issue is related to the graphics driver for the Intel HD 4600. My reason for thinking this, is that this issue doesn't exist until the Intel Graphics driver is installed. The issue manifests itself in horizontal lines appearing at random places on the screen. (There are a few other things that happen, but that one is the main issue, and the easiest to describe). Another odd thing is that it doesn't happen unless the screen is under 100% brightness. I'm running driver version 15.36.7.64.3960" at the moment, but I have also tried using 3 other versions, all of which do the same.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire V3-772G

It has shared memory, using an Intel HD 4600, and a Nvidia Geforce GT 750M.

Any help would be awesome, and if you need any more info, just let me know.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the Graphics community.

Based on the problem description it appears to be a hardware issue.

You mentioned trying three different driver versions.

Does this problem happen when you connect an external monitor?

If the problem follows second screen, this means you have hardware problem.

Have you tried updating computer BIOS?

Also, because your system uses Switchable Graphics, Nvidia/ Intel HD 4600, I strongly recommend you use the graphics drivers supplied by Acer. Be sure to install the Intel HD Graphics driver first, reboot, then install the Nvidia graphics driver.

Acer support site here: http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/ Acer Worldwide - Select your local country or region

Allan.

0 Kudos
JPark65
Beginner

Hi, I've already tried using the drivers that Acer provided for this specific laptop, and they did exactly the same thing. I've also tried 3 different bios versions. I've tried version 1.08, 1.13, and 1.15. They haven't changed anything. I've tried plugging in an external monitor, and there were no issues with the screen that was plugged in.

I have contacted Acer about the issue, but have yet to hear back from them.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information. Besides driver version 15.36.7.64.3960, would you be able to provide driver version numbers that you have been tested?

Allan.

0 Kudos
DBerg5
Novice

Hello,

since my problem is very similiar, I thought I attach it to this topic:

I have horizontal lines occasionally popping up as soon as something is moving on screen.

It's not really a flickering, they just appear and disappear.

Since I am not able to make an actual screenshot of it, because it only appears for one or two seconds,

I manipulated a screenshot to show how it looks like:

This can happen inside a video window, but it doesn't happen when the video is playing, but when you pause it and the overlay of the player pops up,

then a black or sometimes white line pops up, as long as the overlay is shown.

This happens in many different applications, Photoshop, Firefox, VLC Player, ACDSee or the Windows Explorer.

Sometimes its only a picture on a website or a drop-down menu in some program.

Only Games seem to be immune to this, I tried a few which didn't show this error.

The thing is, I had this on 2 quite different notebooks.

On an MSI-CR61 with a Pentium 3550M + HD Graphics, and now on a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E540 with a Core i5 + HD Graphics 4600.

Both running on a fully patched Windows 7 x64 SP1 + latest drivers.

I tried out a Linux Boot CD on both systems, on both the error is not present under that system.

Only under Windows 7 x64 SP1.

I haven't tried an external monitor yet, but I could do that.

On the MSI-Notebook I tried v.15.36.7.64.3960 of the Intel driver and the 2 versions before that.

On the Lenovo I only tried v.15.36.7.64.3960.

Any ideas?

Greetings,

Kaihro

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Kaihro Does this issue happen with earlier driver versions? if so, please provide driver versions.

Did you connect external monitor? Did you get same problem?

Allan.

0 Kudos
DBerg5
Novice

Yes, it happened with all driver versions I used. Exact version numbers are:

I haven't connected an external monitor yet, but I will do that and report the results here.

Kaihro.

0 Kudos
BGrub1
Beginner

The Fallen 018

I had the same issue with my Acer Aspire V3-772G with Intel HD 4600, and a Nvidia Geforce GT 750M. OS is Win7 Home Premium [64-bit].

The Issue was flickering screen and multiple bluescreens (daily).

What worked in my case was:

1) Reinstalling (updating) Intel HD driver to "Intel Graphics driver for Windows 7-8.1 [ver. 15.36.28.4332]"

2) Reinstalling (updating) Nvidia GeForce GT 750M driver to "359.06 -notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql"

3) Updating BIOS from ver. 1.11 to ver. 1.15 (after updating BIOS system wouldn't run until I've changed in BIOS Boot Mode from "UEFI" to "Legacy" - after switching computer on there was only plane black screen with Acers green logo. There wasn't any message about hitting F2 to enter the BIOS setup and then screen switched to message, that there is no bootable drive. I have 2 harddiscs - Plextor PX128M5M SCSI disc ald TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 SCSI disc)

Reinstalling drivers did nothing itself, but with updating BIOS fixed all issues. I'm running this config for three days since updating and everything works fine.

I hope it will help someone.

Blazej

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for sharing the results, I am sure it will help others on this community.

Allan.

0 Kudos