After reflashing the Edison with a reboot ota for the ota drive to not be cleared is normal with the latest firmware. Also /home/root is preserved.
the latest firmware will show edison-rel1-maint-weekly_build_16_2014-10-14_14-56-19 using cat /etc/version.
These are the steps that should get you through that.
1) Download the latestest firmware and unzip to the OTA drive.
2) Log into the console as root and reboot ota (no need to interrupt - allow it to proceed through a couple of cycles)
3) configure_edison and set up your board name, password and wifi
The journals are filling up the root partition so
if you are finished configuring your Edison you can turn that service off
4) systemctl disable edison_config.service
limit the journals to 20M
5) edit /etc/systemd/journald.conf using vi, uncomment SystemMaxUse= to read
6) ensure your journals are cleared (could be done quicker, I err on caution from typos)
rm -f /var/log/journal/*/*
rm -f /var/log/journal/*
Keep your eyes on the journals
Keep your eyes on root partition space
if you don't need permanent journal then you may also set volatile in journald.conf (see other threads on that)
deium "systemctl disable edison_config" would do as well. No need to type the trailing ".service" in this case