7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 12:44 PM by Aryan2411

MANAGEABILITY ENGINE

aatish

Dear all

I have three problems (please note my system information at the end of the thread,including OS,Board & memory)

my BIOS shows this warning at startup

MANAGEABILITY ENGINE ME CHANNEL A DIMM

please what is this and how to remove?

DIM MISSING.JPG

you can see one drive is missing in my system,  what is that??? how to recover??

Note: i think that problem 1 & 2 are two aspects of the same issue.

please rectify the issue.

whenever i connect my scrol mouse with my system (before powering on my system). after loading xp, both(mouse and keyboard stops working)

While if i try to boot with a simple mouse (non scroled mouse), every thing goes OK

Note: if i lood xp with my old non scrolled mouse and after loading, connect my scroll mouse(PS/2) , systems remains stable, keyboard ok.mouse ok

System Information

Operating System:           Windows XP Pro (5.1, Build 2600) SP 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
      Language:                        English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer:      INTEL
      System Model:                DG43NB
      BIOS:                             BIOS Date: 10/03/08 17:44:53 Ver: 08.00.10
      Processor:                     Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPUQ8400@ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
      Memory:                        2010MB RAM
      Page File:                     938MB used, 2964MB available

kindly reply to resolve and identify the issues

Regards

Aatish

• 1. Re: MANAGEABILITY ENGINE
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

The board has an option called Intel Management Engine Bios.

You can access the MEBx bios by pressing Ctrl+P.
          Some board needs to have the settings enabled in the Bios in order to access it.
          Bios >> Boot Configuration >> Intel ME Setup Prompt: Enable.

Go into the Ctrl + P MEBx Bios
          Intel ME COnfiguration >> Enter
          Intel Quiet System Technology >> Enable.
          Save and Exit

Then Update the board bios to the latest one.
          http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2979&DwnldID=17960&strOSs=44&OSFullName=WindowsXPProfessional*&lang=eng

Install the Management Engine Driver
          http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2979&DwnldID=16081&strOSs=44&OSFullName=WindowsXPProfessional*&lang=eng

And the latest chipset driver
          http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2979&DwnldID=10884&strOSs=44&OSFullName=WindowsXPProfessional*&lang=eng

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,

Regards,
          Aryan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MANAGEABILITY ENGINE
            aatish

Dear Rajive

After posting my Question, i have done some working before your reply

i installed my Managebility Engine software from intel site (but problem remain there)

then i updated my BIOS, (but problem remain there)

Then your reply came....... i read it again and again and thought that u have asked for 3 works. (While i have already done 2 before your reply as mentioned above)

so i thought again and again and came to an expected point that it could be a memory problem as mentioned by BIOS ERROR (below)

MANAGEABILITY ENGINE ME CHANNEL A DIMM

i have a 2GB RAM in one slot

So just for test, i change the memory slot and put it in other slot

on system start up, i noticed that there is no more BIOS ERROR,, when i loaded my XP, there was no more driver missing (problem 2)

So you can conclude that this all(1 & 2) done by changing the memory slot

Thanks for your concerns and useful information

Thanks again

• 3. Re: MANAGEABILITY ENGINE
              Aryan2411

Hi Aatish,

Thank you for your information.

I knew that the channel dimm meant to be memory problem.

But i never came across an error like yours, i did not expect the memory issue to give a yellow bang on the management driver in the device manager.

I am glad to learn a new thing from you. Thank you once again.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: MANAGEABILITY ENGINE
                aatish

Dear Rajiv

Can you please define and elaborate that what is memory chanels?? what is this science?? 0 chanels tc  what are they?

why the problem was there when RAM was in old slot??

Regards

aatish

• 5. Re: MANAGEABILITY ENGINE
                  Aryan2411

Hi Aatish,

I found this in the Technical Product Spec.

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg43nb/sb/e41953001us.pdf

Page17/88

Regardless of the memory configuration used (dual channel, single channel, or flex mode), DIMM 0 of Channel A must always be populated. This is a requirement of the Intel Management Engine in ICH10.

Which slot are you using for the time being?

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

1.PNG

• 6. Re: MANAGEABILITY ENGINE
                    aatish

i have no concept of Channels. but after your message, i have noticed that i replaced my RAM to channel A from channel B.

u have mentioned that Channel A must always be populated

What does it means??  it means that Channel A must be used for memory in any circumstances when ur using single memory/ i think i am right??

One Interesting thing i want to mention which i have noticed today. and that is about my MS excel.

i work on a big office report after every 15 days. this report contains multiple formulas and more than 1,30,000 data rows. i aply formula on top first row and then copy it to the below rows to get results of below rows. in my old system(dual core), it takes 10 minutes to complete the calculations. then i changedd the system to quad and noticed 2 things.first is that my excl on quad takes only 2 minutes to calculate the formulas.second thing which i noticed that only 25% of processor used to do work and 75 % idle while calculation. i was amazed why this happens and why not system using whole 100% processing power.

BUT

today i noticed that when i start my excel to calculation, my system suddenly went up to 100% processing and whole data calculated in just 13 secondes. i was just shocked at the efficiency.

i am giving this credit to the resolution of Manageability Engine problem

Am i wrong ???

Regards

Aatish

• 7. Re: MANAGEABILITY ENGINE
                      Aryan2411

Hi Aatish,

Memory can operate in different channel mode.

For example if you have memory, it must be populated in the first Slot Channel A Dimm 0, otherwise on some other system for example you wont even get a boot.

This is why in the Technical Product Specification, it says:

Regardless of the memory configuration used (dual channel, single channel, or flex mode), DIMM 0 of Channel A must always be populated. This is a requirement of the Intel Management Engine in ICH10

Now if you have two memory modules, if you want to operate in dual mode, where you will have a better bandwidth, it is best to populate channel A Dimm and Channel B Dimm 0.

Note that there are board which have 4 dimm slots, it can be channel a dimm 0, channel b dimm 0, channel a dimm 1, channel b dimm 1.

Please read the Technical Product Specifications you will understand these things better.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan