1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 4:55 PM by CMata_Intel

Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode

K-SID

I have spent about 6 hours trying to flash my Edison on the mini breakout. I have heavily read the forums and tried various suggestions in other threads with no luck. I feel like the root of my problem is that I can never get the Edison so show up on my machine with the USB VID/PID combo that indicates it's in DFU mode for flashing. I only ever get the virtual comm port. My Edison is still running the default Yocto distro that came with it. I have tried the following:

I've tried these items on the following host OS machines:

Windows 7

Windows 8

Ubuntu 13.10

I've tried:

• reboot ota command (always says it can't find the ota_update.scr file)
      • run do_flash from boot menu (This shows the correct GADGET mode but it never shows up in device manager or lsusb with the correct VID/PID)
      • flashall.sh on linux and flashall.bat on windows (It infinitely waits for the device to show up)
      • 3 different USB cables as I've seen that causing problems

Other Items of Note:

I've seen a couple of threads about putting things onto the "secret" or "magic" partition to fix similar issues but I don't know how to accomplish that with the mini breakout. When I plug my Edison in I never get an Edison drive in Windows Explorer. I've also seen people mention installing u-boot tools but I don't quite follow what the steps are to do that and how to apply it to my situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
          CMata_Intel

Hi K-SID

As you said there are different threads related to this

In this one, the solution was changing the cables as you already tried.

This is another thread to make the do_flash work, you will need the SDK for your OS.

Take a look at this too:  https://communities.intel.com/thread/55389

In this other thread are information about the dfu-util version. Try with these suggestions and let me know if after that you are able to see your Edison as a Device in your OS. Please let me know which OS are you using right now.

Regards;

CMata

• 2. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
            K-SID

My main OS is Windows 7 Professional but I've also tried Ubuntu 13.10 and Windows 8. Win 7 is my primary machine though.

This is another thread to make the do_flash work, you will need the SDK for your OS.

Based on this thread it looks like I need to build the image but the thread appears to be specific to Fedora. How would I accomplish this on a Win 7 machine? And even if I can create the image with the ota_update.scr file it appears I need to somehow get the image onto the Edison. lrosenman says "now copying them to the magic update partition on the edison.". I don't understand how to do that if I don't see the Edison showing up as a drive on my machine. Am I missing something?

Take a look at this too:  https://communities.intel.com/thread/55389

This thread suggests doing run do_ota which I have also tried with no luck. I get the same "Unable to read ota_update.scr" and then the kernel boots

In this other thread are information about the dfu-util version.

I'm using the dfu-util version that is linked to in that post with no luck.

Am I missing something else?

• 3. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
              K-SID

I just found another thread where deium was experiencing EXACTLY what I am seeing and there never was a resolution. He said:

"I now have a second Edison w/mini breakout board.  The second board does boot up with a drive letter for Edison.  I have been able to place the first Module on the second board and flash, then transfer the Module back to it's original board.  Then using known good cables try all variations with the original board.  It would appear that there are mini breakout boards that do not boot with a drive letter.  Everything else appears for the moment to be working ."

I can confirm that I've tried my mini breakout on multiple windows machines without seeing the drive letter. I'd get a another mini breakout to test this theory but dropping $75 + shipping on a troubleshooting step seems excessive. CMata_Intel, have you seen other users with this problem and was there ever a solution?

• 4. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
                mhahn

I.e. reboot ota doesn't work? With flashall I rarely got it working on my laptop. Went over to a Linux system where "sudo flashall --recovery"  always worked where a regular "Sudoku flashall" didn't work.

• 5. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
                  K-SID

Nope. I was hoping switching over to linux was going to do the trick also but it still only shows up as the virtual comm port. I never get the DFU device with VID/PID 8087:0a99 on Windows or Linux. I also just tried it on a third Windows machine with no luck. I've reached out to Sparkfun (where I got the mini breakout) to see if there is a way to test the theory that the breakout is a lemon by sending me a new one. We'll see what they say.

• 6. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
                    mhahn

on Linux the order plays a role:

1. connect serial and open minicom to USB0 to be able to view what's going on
                    2. sudo flashall --recovery (well, unless you modify the script to run without xfstk as described elsewhere in that forum)
                    3. connect 2nd USB cable to power Edison

Once I had to repeat the steps. But tbh: mostly I was working with Arduino breakout boards but also sometimes at mini breakout ones

• 7. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
                      deium

K-SID,

One day I'll try to figure that mini breakout board out, or replace it with another through mouser.com - they also sell the mini breakout boards bare.

To be clear, the reason why there was still no solution is that I stopped pursing it.  Fact of the matter is that once I had a way to flash (and I see that others have flashed over serial as suggested), I got so caught up in developing, I haven't had time to look back at it yet.

I know what you are feeling seems excessive for troubleshooting, and trust me when I say I know.  There are other way to flash, why the board has a problem with the windows driver and the OTA drive doesn't show up I am not sure, and might never know.  But you have the people here on the forum to help you get to the next stage, up and running.

For curiousity, when you log into the Edison console, the contents of the /factory/serial_number file - are they upper case letters or lower case letters.

• 8. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
                        K-SID

I went through and tried this again on my Ubuntu machine using info taken from this article.

Re: Flashall.sh and pre-built xFSTK

Still no luck. Running lsusb still only shows the UART device and the flashall --recovery just loops waiting for the Intel SOC to show up. "Intel SoC Device Detection Failed: Attempt #1"

If Sparkfun can't help with a new breakout to test with I'll just order a bare mini breakout from Mouser per deium 's suggestion.

• 9. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
                          K-SID

deium,

The contents of my serial_number file are all upper case.

• 10. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
                            mhahn

sorry to ask the trivial (just too often those things just caused similar issues):

you only connected after you started the flashall?

you started as sudo?

• 11. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
                              K-SID

No problem. I know sometimes it's the really simple stuff people miss. Yes, I run flashall first before connecting and also run as sudo.

• 12. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
                                deium

K-SID,

thanks regarding the upper/lower case serial number.   The differences between my two edisons for me is that one was upper and one was lower.  I thought the rare lower case might have been a clue, for me this hasn't shed any further light on the issue.

• 13. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
                                  K-SID

Ok, I just ordered another mini breakout from Mouser and will see if it makes a difference. I will post an update here when I have one. Thanks for everyone's help and input.

• 14. Re: Can't get mini breakout board into flash mode
                                    CMata_Intel

Hi K-SID

As you know there are a lot of threads related to this problems, in some cases the solution is changing the cables, or run do_ota, the flashall, unzipping with different OS  but it depends on the problem, that’s the reason of why there are so many suggestions. In the communities are a lot of helpful ideas and people with great suggestions. In your case it seems that we are missing something. When you receive your new breakout board don't hesitate in asking us if you have doubts or questions, and of course I encourage you to keep us notified of your projects and ideas in the communities.

Best Regards;

CMata

1 2 Previous Next